homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » Is "geek dating" extinct?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is "geek dating" extinct?
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2009 04:22      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I mean is, has geek become just another facet of so many people's lives that it's no longer rarified territory and searching out like-minded souls no longer has the making of an epic quest?

I started wondering because the stagnation of the "geek love" section of the board was pointed out, and a few years ago, man was it hopping. It seemed like every week there was a hopeful n00b looking for his (or her) one-and-only. Now, nothing. Radio silence. So what's changed?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2009 09:27      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's 'cos finding available women of a certain age is a bit like getting to the bakery too late: the stuff left on the shelf is crusty, lumpy and hard to shove into the toaster. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2009 10:42      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________ Radio silence. So what's changed? __ Maybe we have our squelch turned up too high or all the people here are not looking anymore.

Or maybe the searchers have found other social networks that give better results.

Truthfully most of the posters here are taken or full time students that do not have time outside of school. The other problem is that this a very big pond not a small stream, a fish may never be able to swim to that other stream.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2009 11:56      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you hit in in one fs - people are becoming geekier and geekier, so finding that special geek is an easier task than it was.

MoMan has a point about members in school too, but may have missed it slightly. As most of the members are at uni/college, they're going to be around like minded people an awful lot, and hence find a geeky person to their tastes easier. At least, that's how it's worked for me!

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2009 14:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not for nothing, but weren't a ton of people who posted in that section lambasted on frist psot?

It kind of reminds me of the bit from RvB's "Internet Special," where the crusty sounding guy barks: "I like girls!"

Time to hit the Strand....

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2009 14:41      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman is right, we can be a little hard on newbies that come on strong about geek dating and advice...Maybe, that topic is so neglected because we all found our special geek? We should do a roll call on who is single and looking...have not done that in FOREVER...just an idea?

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2009 15:02      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Not for nothing, but weren't a ton of people who posted in that section lambasted on frist psot?

Well, yeah, but the new newbs wouldn't know about that. /me looks shifty

And I think these days, we'd welcome them with open arms, just for not posting in the bowels of the forum. We didn't know how good we had it. I miss the "I'm a 36-24-36 horny rocket scientist" trolls.

--------------------

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2009 15:48      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
We should do a roll call on who is single and looking...

Don't have to be single to be looking. Just saying...

(And no I'm not, because she'd kill me if she found out. Though PM me to find out more... [Wink] [Razz] )

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2009 18:25      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
File me under 'single and happy that way' [Smile]
Linux/Perl lovers are welcome to say 'hi' though. ;D

/me just looks in TFD's general direction, and chuckles about the happenings of this evening. All I'm saying is that I sought some water, and got the rejoinder "Is that really what you want?"

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2009 18:44      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can put me in the "fed up with looking the girls can bloody well come and find me" category [Razz]

Also I have mastered the Zen of being single, I'm not even sure I'd want to change that atm anyway, I'm starting to like not having to worry about anyone other than me [Big Grin]

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2009 19:17      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure anyone who had been here a while ever took the 'Looking for Love' threads seriously.
I never thought people would come along and post the GC equivilent of the personal ad there and
the reaction from old hands when someone did pretty much confirmed the idea. Though from what I've
seen members have posted some pretty good constructive criticism in reply to many of the posts
and of course the O.P. wasn't ever in the mood for it. We can help it if these people don't want help. [Razz]

OTOH I met my current S.O. here but that was a case of talking about personal interests we had
in common and things went from there. Sounds incredably old fashioned when it's put like that. [Big Grin]

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 01:20      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Infinitesimal:
Also I have mastered the Zen of being single, I'm not even sure I'd want to change that atm anyway, I'm starting to like not having to worry about anyone other than me [Big Grin]

I loved being single. Not in a "I-wish-I-was-still-single" way, but I think it's vastly preferable to a bad, or even mediocre, relationship. I just boggle at all the people who have never been alone for any real amount of time. I think everyone should spend a couple years doing what makes them happy and what's important to them. If you never have that--if there's always someone else influencing those things--how do you ever find out what you want?

quote:
Originally posted by HalfVast:
OTOH I met my current S.O. here but that was a case of talking about personal interests we had
in common and things went from there. Sounds incredably old fashioned when it's put like that.

There are quite a few relationships that started here. I'm not sure any of them came out of the "looking for love" forum though. [crazy]

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 10:38      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
you can put me in the "fed up with looking the girls can bloody well come and find me" category [Razz]

Right. So, sometime in the next six months, you're going to meet the love of your life. And you will simultaneously overjoyed that this wonderful person appeared and deeply resentful that she's taken away your happy singleton lifestyle.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 14:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:

Right. So, sometime in the next six months, you're going to meet the love of your life. And you will simultaneously overjoyed that this wonderful person appeared and deeply resentful that she's taken away your happy singleton lifestyle.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Ain't love grand? [Razz]

--------------------

Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 17:23      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Ain't love grand? [Razz]

HUMBUG.

Heh the last time such a thing happened was in the middle of me moving, her moving to the same city just as I was leaving, then followed by her falling off the face of the earth (metaphorically).

Leaving me with the well considered opinion of "Fuck this, there is no winning endgame" [Razz]

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 17:47      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, don't be a hater!
One bad experience can not ruin love for you forever! Trust me, I have had my fair share of bad relationships, but I jumped right back on the wagon!!! And I can tell you, it always happens when you least expect it:)

--------------------

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 17:59      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah...like possibly in a coffeeshop.

Whodathunkit? ;P

--------------------

Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 18:08      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hah I met the previously mentioned outside a coffeeshop and spent a lot of time talking over coffee, ah those were fun days. Alas I'm no longer self employed so I can't do that anymore [Razz]

Guess I'm just too hard a target for that horrid bow toting winged thing atm [Smile]

--------------------

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 18:11      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman, what are you sayin?
You got a girlfriend??? Do tell!!!

--------------------

Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 18:13      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He was talking about some girl right before disappearing from the IRC channel, one assumes things went well [Razz]

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 18:32      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Whodathunkit? ;P

Carpe barista! [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

Pictures!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 20:14      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

Whodathunkit? ;P

Carpe barista!
Really? At long last??? [Eek!] [Big Grin]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2009 21:07      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Dman, what are you sayin?
You got a girlfriend??? Do tell!!!

Haha...nae. But the related matter is just mind blowing.

And Inf...you talking about me? I believe that's a dated matter.

P.S. Xanthine: I'm pretty sure the universe would implode. As such, I stick to the safer path.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture