homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Love!   » All about Love!   » How far will you go? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How far will you go?
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2008 18:35      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What does everyone here think of long distance relationships? How far do you think is considered to be long distance, and do they ever work out, or is it just a waste of time? [Confused]

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2008 18:54      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on my experience, the farther the better.
Posts: 796 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2008 19:09      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's possible, if both people have realistic expectations. I personally know of a some that have worked out well. Some of them even started right here on GC.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2008 19:12      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, mine was pretty far-Chicago to England-and it worked out.

It depends on how willing the parties are to consider relocating. If it's not an option for either, then it's a waste of time and a lot of heartache. However, if it is, then go for it-but go in with eyes open, as people can misrepresent themselves online.

Sometimes the distance makes you talk more and get to know each other better than if you saw each other every day. [Smile]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2008 19:13      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
I think it's possible, if both people have realistic expectations. I personally know of a some that have worked out well. Some of them even started right here on GC.

OOh..which ones?? Do tell.... [Eek!]

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2008 03:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
quote:

Well, my internet affair with DNM was supposed to be a secret, until he let the cat out of the proverbial.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2008 12:03      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LDRs are good since you don't see the person everyday and don't get sick of them.
Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2008 16:08      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maggs:
LDRs are good since you don't see the person everyday and don't get sick of them.

Heh...funny I never thought of it that way. [Razz]

There's definitely truth to that, but I'd rather her on a somewhat more frequent basis. :/

I'm sure there's something kind of pitiful about the fact that I consider 30 miles to be a bit of a nuisance. (Hopefully I /should/ have the English/Europeans in my corner on that one...as 100 miles is a *long* distance for them [as 100 years is long for us {/old joke}].)

Yeah...I need to live in the city and be within walking distance of things... (including good mass transit!) I enjoy driving, but frequent drives for such things can get tiring after awhile. [Let's not get into how much driving I did the day of a recent /other/ thread's subject.]

I think I got sidetracked - back to geekygoddess' question: I think it really depends on how well you get along, and if you're both willing to put up with the distance, go for it. If you're not so sure, and just don't see it being very good...it's going to wear on you. Also, at /some/ point, one or both of you will probably want to move, and if that's not in the cards, it's also probably not going to work.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2008 17:48      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
quote:

Well, my internet affair with DNM was supposed to be a secret, until he let the cat out of the proverbial.
I wasn't supposed to tell? [Eek!]

My bad.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2008 20:16      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not very far. I like to squoosh my love. She can't be in another state. Nope. Nope. I want to see, hear, feel, and smell her. Otherwise she's like all of you... virtual bits... I like REAL bits.

Near. Not far.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2008 20:32      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
snupy wrote:

The first one I know is ARJ. The other I'm not allowed to talk about or she'll hunt me down and feed me beets. Both seem to be doing pretty well in their relationships. fs met maswan here too, if I'm not mistaken, but I don't know them as well.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
cosmic
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 18784

Icon 10 posted June 16, 2008 12:50      Profile for cosmic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's possible to work out. Only if both parties are willing to work on it. My boyfriend was stationed in Japan for a year while I was in California and we're still together. [hearts]
For it to work, there needs to be alot of communication going on. Phone calls, letters, and be able to see that person on the webcam surely helps!

--------------------
.Happiness is a warm cupcake.

Posts: 1 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2008 16:46      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe that long distance relationships work for some and not for others (DUH). If you are the type of person who easily worries, then a long distance relationship were you can't see the other party isn't for you. If you like your beer and woman seperate then a long distance relationship might be for you.

I consider anything over an 2 hour drive, long distance. I think they can work out, you just need to be dedicated and make sure you are always potraying your real self to the other person even though you aren't face to face.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2008 14:08      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Long distance relationships can work, but they don't for everybody. They have their own problems and obstacles to overcome.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2008 18:39      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to drag this back to the top but is it too late to change my answer? [crazy]
Posts: 796 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2008 13:57      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whilst you are dragging this back up....fs, how are things going with you? Have you moved to Sweden? [Wink]

--------------------

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2008 09:52      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell's Bells, I've lived in the same house with a woman and we still were a million miles apart.

Sometimes distance has no relation to location.

I think a long-distance relationship can work if two people are close in their hearts and minds.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2008 12:27      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CP-you are so right. It reminds me of a quote by the famous philosopher Ally McBeal: "Some of the loneliest days of my life have been spent with someone right beside me"

--------------------

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted October 02, 2008 16:22      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well here's hoping. I've been back and forth online and on the phone with a young lady for a
little over two months now and tomorrow I'm driving a little over 300 miles so we can meet Saturday,
chase trains take photos and talk about life and stuff. [Big Grin]

So far we get along great but never in the same state so while we both have a little bit of nerves
we're sure we'll be fine once we meet 'in the real world..."

I'm not going to get much sleep tonight and I don't care. [Razz]

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2008 19:24      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HalfVast,
Good luck to you! I am in a very similar situation...will be meeting mine soon as well. It must be in the air. Let me know how it turns out, hopefully both of us will have fun and who knows what else...

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Definitely Helen
Maximum Newbie
Member # 14084

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2008 13:43      Profile for Definitely Helen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
...I consider 30 miles to be a bit of a nuisance. (Hopefully I /should/ have the English/Europeans in my corner on that one...as 100 miles is a *long* distance for them...

100 miles? Hmm... That'd be, what, 3 time zones? ...4, maybe, depending on Daylight Saving Time, I guess... Prolly also need a visa...

Anyway, FWIW, I know a couple who are making an LDR work, one lives in Louisiana (I think that's in America?) and the other in Australia. They're a really lovely couple.

Posts: 17 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2008 13:56      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Definitely Helen:
Anyway, FWIW, I know a couple who are making an LDR work, one lives in Louisiana (I think that's in America?) and the other in Australia. They're a really lovely couple.

Yes Louisiana is in America. That's where I'm from BTW. Boy LA to Australia is a long distance. The longest distance I had for a relationship was one hour away. So I can't say much on how well long distance relationships work because a one hour drive is nothing.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2008 06:11      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorWho:
Boy LA to Australia is a long distance.

Sometimes you have to go a long way to find the best.
(interpret that however your own sense of patriotism demands)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2008 07:08      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I interviewed a guy for the paper on Tuesday. He and his wife are professional classical musicians. He just moved to my town to teach and conduct at the university. His wife still lives in Florida, where they both had been living. The hope is that by next summer she'll be able to move here. In the meantime, they talk on the phone and Skype video and fly up or down to see each other as much as possible. It would be super hard for me to live like that, but they're making it work.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2008 09:54      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Definitely Helen:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
...I consider 30 miles to be a bit of a nuisance. (Hopefully I /should/ have the English/Europeans in my corner on that one...as 100 miles is a *long* distance for them...

100 miles? Hmm... That'd be, what, 3 time zones? ...4, maybe, depending on Daylight Saving Time, I guess... Prolly also need a visa...

You talking about the US or the UK there? 'Cuz where I live, you can drive 100 miles and not even leave the state, never mind the time zone.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture