homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Love!   » All about Love!   » Women at work - what to do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Women at work - what to do?
Shredder565
Mini Geek
Member # 12594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 08:25      Profile for Shredder565   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's one for you...

I was at the DMV today, and a very nice lady was behind the counter (unusual considering how it was last year [Smile] ). She was cute looking, about my age, but there was a good chance I'd probably ever only see her at the DMV.

In a situation like this, do you think it would be OK to ask someone out for drinks at her work place, or would it still be considered kind of rude?

--------------------
The Un-Official WPLJTV channel..

http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Posts: 54 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 08:44      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as long as you don't open with the question, I think it can be quite flattering. Maybe go to her asking some information, which you both know is totally bogus. Ask if she is seeing anyone yada...
Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 16:48      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can try since you have nothing to lose. But don't expect much.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 17:32      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just show up at the end of a long day, look her straight in the eyes and after a few moments of uncomfortable silence say:
"You must be tired because you've been running through my dreams all night...

screaming."

(yes, I stole it from xkcd.. bite me)

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 17:37      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's busy don't try anything. If things are slow feel free to flirt and then maybe suggest a meeting elsewhere. Don't push it, she is around her coworkers and probably her boss and has to look professional.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 17:52      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trying to hold up the line at the DMV in northern NJ? Your chances of getting out alive are virtually nonexistent.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shredder565
Mini Geek
Member # 12594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 20:21      Profile for Shredder565   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, in this case it was amazingly empty, even if they just started their day. But as far as what brought it up, I tried once before at a different workplace with ladies I had gotten to know over the year... and it was a bit of an awkward moment [Smile] ...

But it's nice to hear everyone else's opinions [Smile] .

--------------------
The Un-Official WPLJTV channel..

http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 22, 2007 20:37      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In most cases I would advise against initiating a courtship while a woman is at work. In a customer service situation, she is required to be positive and does not have the option of honest self-expression. In this case, however, the woman of interest is working at the DMV and I assume, then, that she is not required to be nice. So go for it.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2007 17:21      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feel free to chat her up if there aren't any people waiting behind you, but don't try to outright hit on her, or worse yet, try to ask her out - that's way beyond creepy. Also, don't go there too often if you don't want to give off a stalkerish vibe - realistically, just how often would one have to visit the DMV? Well, unless you happen to be a really bad driver and get your license taken away every week [Smile]

And on a somewhat lighter note:

Guy 1: OMFG OMFG OMFG did you see that? She smiled at me, she likes me she likes me she likes me!!!
Guy 2: She smiled, so what? Do you remember how hard I laughed the first time I saw you?

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shredder565
Mini Geek
Member # 12594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2007 17:35      Profile for Shredder565   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, yeah. Obviously the DMV was just meant as a general example...
geekgoddess
Mini Geek
Member # 12312

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2008 12:18      Profile for geekgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't do it.

At my last job I had customers ask me out and it was really uncomfortable. I was there to make a paycheck and it become a hassle to have to think of a polite way to turn someone down. One guy didn't know how to take 'no' for an answer, asked me out MULTIPLE times over the course of months, and the store manager ended up having to tell him to leave me alone because it just got to be too much.

As I see it, it could play out one of a few ways:

1) You ask her out and it turns out she's attached or uninterested, but is flattered.

2) You ask her out and it turns out she's attached or uninterested, and thinks you're just another creepy guy who bothers girls at their place of work.

3) You ask her out, she's unattached and interested and she gives you her phone number and you guys go out.

Call me crazy, but I think that scenarios 1 & 2 are more likely than 3.

While I understand that you're attracted to this girl, I would advise not asking her out at work. If its meant to be, maybe you'll see her one day while she's NOT at work and be able to strike up a conversation. [Wink]

--------------------
Geek chic!

Posts: 79 | From: The Abyss | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2008 12:41      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...the fact that you've got cute black glasses certainly probably didn't help... ;P

But back to the topic at hand...no probably not a fine idea. And certainly not at the DMV. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
geekgoddess
Mini Geek
Member # 12312

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2008 15:19      Profile for geekgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hmm...the fact that you've got cute black glasses certainly probably didn't help... ;P
Why, thank you! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Geek chic!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2008 15:29      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekgoddess:
quote:
Why, thank you! [Big Grin]
Ah, but can you make coffee?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekgoddess
Mini Geek
Member # 12312

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2008 15:40      Profile for geekgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ah, but can you make coffee?
Actually, yes. [Wink]

--------------------
Geek chic!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2008 17:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman: Carpe barista!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2008 17:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Dman: Carpe barista!

Ya know...I was even tempted to cite that in my previous post. [Razz]

I was going to say, "Despite a running joke my friends have about me, I think this is a bad idea." [Big Grin]

And um...wow...I missed the forest for the trees....seeing this post, I glazed over the handful that are above it. Loo-ve-ly.

So that said....cute glasses *and* coffee...oh my! [Big Grin]

Fate's an [redacted]. Here I am, thoroughly enjoying being single, not a care in the world, and I have someone trying to give me someone's number, and TFD playing an utterly evil game up there. [And I was just told a tale on IRC that was...interesting.] Can't a geek just geek out? [Wink]

If you'll excuse me, I think I need to go have some coffee now. ttfn. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture