homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » Wow, You're Cute. Now Go Away (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Wow, You're Cute. Now Go Away
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 21, 2007 23:16      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tonight I was at the gym running like a mouse on its little spinning toy. The room was relatively empty, more women then men, and then POOF. Men appear, women disappear. I had picked a treadmill in the second row from the back, far enough away from everyone else so I could listen to my IPod and not have anyone around me as I ran. About 15 minutes go by and then a very built,and good-looking guy comes over and starts running on the treadmill next to mine. Now I did notice immediately how cute he was, even out of the corner of my eye. But I just really don't like being around other people when I'm running, especially guys. I become even more self-conscious of my body. Is my hair messy? Most likely, oh God I smell, and I'm sweating, gee I must be a mess.

Who else feels like this?

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted May 22, 2007 01:17      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about any of the other fellas around here, but I think chicks that are sweaty and smelly from working out are hot. And you also know that they have endurance and work hard to keep themselves looking great.

LemonSmuggler, I wouldn't worry about how you look or smell in the gym, because if he isn't already, give any guy five or ten minutes and he'll be just as sweaty and smelly as you.

PS. Yes I am still alive and paying the occasional visit.
PPS. That's a nice number of posts LS [Razz]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 08:42      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LS -

I took a look at your blog and your picture. You don't have anything to worry about. Obsessing about your body is something many females seem prone to doing - unnecessarily. Try not to let it make you crazy.

VOE (Obsessive)

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 09:50      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I always get more self conscious if I'm exercising around anyone else. You'd think I'd be okay about it since I'm not in the market for a new relationship, but it still bugs me. Somehow in my head it seems more likely that other people are thinking, "Ha, ha, look at the fat chick trying to run! LOLOLOL," instead of, "Look at her running, that's great!"

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
NoRealReason
Mini Geek
Member # 6992

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 10:06      Profile for NoRealReason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems like he has already shown he is interested in you, by choosing a location in close proximity to you, despite there being many other choices. Now, are you bothered because he is violating your space during your exercise, or because his proximity causes self doubt, and distraction from your purpose of being there? I can understand either, just curious.

I feel for the guy. These days, it seems like a smile, a word, or sending a note to someone can end up with shouts of harassment.

So did you just ignore him, or talk, or leave?

Edit: Edited to make it less antagonistic, it came across all wrong

Posts: 70 | From: Never you mind | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 11:13      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no I didn't feel like he 'violated' my space at all. But I just finished my run, left and went to the WC and then went back and picked another treadmill in the very back to finish up my workout. I believe that like most women when I'm a mess I'm just self-conscious of being around anyone, especially when close to a good looking guy when I feel gross. I think maybe my topic was misconstrued. Nope, if I felt that I looked cute last night (i.e. not a total mess) I would have stayed right were I was. [Wink]

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 12:08      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's tough being a Brit, eh, LS? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 12:20      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
It's tough being a Brit, eh, LS? [Big Grin]

Haha, oh I'm not one thought. Why do come off as one? [crazy]

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

bassgoonist
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5044

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 13:05      Profile for bassgoonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said WC
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 13:27      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry about it LS, for 2 reasons...

1. As Astronomer Jedi notes, sweaty women are _hawt_

2. If the gym's like the one near me, most of the men there are probably hoping to meet other men. (not that there's anything wrong with that !)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 13:42      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
You said WC
Women like to use lots of little euphamisms because they think it'll make men uncomfortable if we figure out they potty just like everyone else. Personally, I try to avoid women who I suspect don't carry out the full suite of biological functions- not pottying might make someone cranky and I don't deal well with cranky people.

That's why I avoid silly euphamisms- I don't go to the WC, I visit the wankin'-stall.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 15:10      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shhh...guys aren't supposed to know we can, so don't tell. [Wink] lol

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 21:01      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LS: Take a walk through the freeweights section and have a good look at all the meatheads doing bench press. The faces they make while they're at it are totally priceless - no one can possible top them, not even the best comedian in the world (whoever that happens to be) [Smile]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
NoRealReason
Mini Geek
Member # 6992

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 22, 2007 22:07      Profile for NoRealReason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Derek,
In soviet russia, benches press meatheads, da? [Wink]

WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2007 07:07      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So - let me get this straight:

A guy you're attracted to subtly shows interest. You bail. Right?

What if he'd been ugly? You'd have stayed?

What kind of message does that send? I think this is part of why people say it's so hard to meet someone [Big Grin] - I mean, if I tried to subtly make eye-contact/proximity/opportunity to chat with someone and they immedietly left, I would totally write them off as not only disinterested, but actually opposed to something about me.

Of course, OTOH, I specifically picked a gym where people are there to work out, not look good. I hate the meat market gyms [Smile]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2007 10:15      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could just be the desert talking but wow, You're pretty
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2007 11:20      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jace - Shame on you! WS is already spoken for. [shake head]

--------------------

LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2007 13:32      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being the vain person that I (sometimes) am I'm going to make a tiny little guess that Jace ment me and not WS.

Though WS is very pretty I grant you. [Wink]

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted May 23, 2007 13:44      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LemonSmuggler:
Being the vain person that I (sometimes) am I'm going to make a tiny little guess that Jace ment me and not WS.

Though WS is very pretty I grant you. [Wink]

Thanks [Wink]

And if he's not referring to you, it's time to get out of the desert [Big Grin]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2007 14:35      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bassgoonist:
You said WC

That and she's got a bum in her .sig, both of which bear lookiH^H^H^H^H^ ah, erm ...further investigation... [blush]

--------------------

LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 23, 2007 15:48      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
quote:
Originally posted by bassgoonist:
You said WC

That and she's got a bum in her .sig, both of which bear lookiH^H^H^H^H^ ah, erm ...further investigation... [blush]
When I read that I did this -> *rolled on the floor and died laughing* [Applause]

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 11:06      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
... died laughing ...

You mean you posted that from the Great Beyond?!

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lady_Christy
Geek
Member # 7103

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 11:13      Profile for Lady_Christy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...well...the majority of my working out is Yoga. I've been doing it for quite a while, so my positions are rather...um...er advanced I have taken to avoiding doing Yoga in public since for some reason some memebers of the male species find it particularly arousing. As far as running goes, I'm blessed enough to live in the country, so I can run along the many old country roads where the only mocking spectators have udders [Big Grin]
Posts: 207 | From: The Northwoods | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 12:10      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
quote:
... died laughing ...

You mean you posted that from the Great Beyond?!
Yeah, did you know we have laptops and cars in the Great Beyond? It's prety fab. [Wink]

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

NoRealReason
Mini Geek
Member # 6992

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 24, 2007 13:31      Profile for NoRealReason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LS, you may want to contact Michael Stipe. I know he has been 'looking for answers from the great beyond.' [Big Grin]

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture