homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » Good books for communication between the sexes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Good books for communication between the sexes
gladiator
Geek Larva
Member # 4387

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted September 18, 2005 21:03      Profile for gladiator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although this post could have been under another topic heading, I believe it is useful here. I do not claim to be a relationship expert, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know communication between the sexes is vital not only on a personal level but in the workplace also. I not long ago read a book by Deborah Tannen,whose work I believe has some value, that gave some great insight into differences between men and women in communication styles. Run her name through amazon.com and get yourself educated with some of her books if your looking for some relationship i.e communication advice. Hope this helps with some of you in your life. It certainly helped solve some of the mysteries of relationship problems for me.

--------------------
Gladiator:(noun)Celebrity and entertainer for the Roman masses.... without the paparazzi

Posts: 28 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2005 22:16      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, the illustrious Deborah Tannen. SpCom 455: Gender Communication. We read her book for that class. 'Twas rather good. Discussed the whole "rapport vs. report" thing to a great extent IIRC.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 03:09      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*nods*... I read a lot of Deborah Tannen for my English Language A-Level. She does make some very interesting points. I love the fact that she has written a great self-help book which isn't a self-help book. That is, because her intention was to write an academic text, she doesn't make patronising generalisations, but rather, specific, applicable references. Self-help for geeks, if you will [Wink]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2005 11:47      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
.....it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know communication between the sexes is vital....
oh no...no no no no no! That way madness lies [crazy]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture