homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » All about Love...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: All about Love...
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 25, 2004 23:44      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not as the world gives love, but the true love, joy, and peace that comes from within ourselves, from within our very nature.

Merry Christmas (a tad late) to everyone at Geek Culture. Special thanks, too, to Nitrozac and Snaggy for providing the formus, the comics, and all the other wickedly cool stuff we find within the wallless walls of the domain name known as geekculture.com [Big Grin]

I would like to take this oppourtunity at Christmastime (for, of course, this is the 12 days of Christmas, that is the 12 days after Christmas, from the feast of the Nativity to the feast of the Epifiany.) to ramble a bit (read: a lot) and reflect a bit (read: a whole lot) on the teachings of the man who's birthday we celebrate on the 25th of December, Jesus of Nazareth; the man whom I believe to be the Christ, the Son of God.

Please, I hope this to be an ecumenical post, although I anticipate flameage due to the religious nature of this post, I'd kindly as that at the very least you read it all before you flame me.

*dons flame retardant suit and flame shield*

Jesus taught many things through the use of parables (stories) and metaphor. The unfortunate disadvantage of the use of metaphors is that they often fail to withstand the test of time. For a parable's message to remain consistant, it is often necessary to grapple with an understanding of the symbolism used and, most importantly, it's meaning to those who originally heard it in the time and setting (political, philosphical, geographical, etc.) in which it was originally told. I believe it is for this reason that the last conversation Jesus had with his followers before his death, he spoke not in parable, but in a flat out, simple (almost too simple) commandment: "Love one another."

The last and most important command that Jesus left with his followers, and indeed for all of mankind is a simple statement of what we, as humans living the lives we're given to live, are supposed to do. "Love one another." Period! It's that simple, but, again, perhaps just too simple, after all, we havn't truely learned to do so in almost 2000 years now.

Others, though, have given this same message, although in different forms. Very few have listened or understood the message, though.

John Lennon seemed to have a very firm grasp on this concept, although he had a slightly different approach. John Lennon's concept, Bagism, saught to propose what would happen to the world if we all lived in a bag. There would be no way to tell what kind of fancy (or plain) shoes someone had on, or what kind of designer (or generic) pants or shirt they had on, or even to tell if they were wearing clothes at all. Bagism suggests that if everyone lived inside of a bag, that we would have nothing to judge people by but the quality of their character. The message, of course, is that we should learn to look beyond people's outside appearances, and judge people based solely on the quality of their character. People laughed. They did not understand.

Most world religions teach that we need to look beyond ourselves, beyond our own needs and wants, and to strive for that which is good for all. However, it is also a fact that many (dare I say most?) of the world's religions also teach a long list of rules and regulations. The message is often sent: "Make sure you follow these rules and you will achieve the goal of your existance on Earth." The problem (as I see it) with this, however, is twofold: (1) it is simple human nature to, when given a list of rules, try to find loopholes and ways around them and (2) how are you supposed to see beyond yourself to encompass the view of the greater good if you are constantly focusing on yourself to make sure you're not breaking some arbitrary rules?

So, if arbitrary rules, and going "by the book" don't work for the true greater good of the world, then how are we to use our lives to better the planet upon which we live and depend on? "Love one another."

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan!
Geek
Member # 1261

Icon 11 posted December 26, 2004 04:27      Profile for Alan!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Nitrozac and Snaggy, ;-)

--------------------
Alan!

Two rabbis, a priest, and an awkward silence after there's no intelligible punch line to this joke, walk into a bar.

Posts: 219 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2004 07:51      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice post MMKK, and appropriate to the day and season. If folks flame you for that, well... it was probably worth it.
Besides, you've got that flame resistant suit thing going on.... [Wink]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2004 08:03      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<tongue-in-cheek>
Why'd you have to spoil xmas by talking about that Jesus dude, can't we stay with the true meaning of xmas ?
</tongue-in-cheek>

Nice post MMKK, the world could do with a few million more christians like you.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10669 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2004 10:19      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Nice post MMKK, the world could do with a few million more christians like you.

[blush]

Those who have seen the light seldom wish to return to the darkness.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2004 11:24      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice post MacManKrisK, chalk one up for good will towards men.

It's a bit sad that I know more people who are considered criminals* that show love towards others than I do Christians.

* I won't say anything as to say who they are, I'll just say NORML's on their side.

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2004 18:00      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just goes to show that we Christians are real people too. [ohwell]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2005 15:48      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, most of us anyway. Some are fake people. [Wink]

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture