homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Love!   » All about Love!   » Stalking the wild geek woman

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stalking the wild geek woman
mdee2004
Geek Larva
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 03:04      Profile for mdee2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The curse of the geeky male is the fact that society has deemed that males are the one's to initiate any guy/girl interaction. Given my nature I often times fumble my way through introductions, totally screw up the dialog that follows and bomb the whole "would you like to do something some time" part. You can tell if a guy is a geek (often times from across the room) but the more rare geeky woman seems to blend in with her pack of girlfriends like a klingon bird of prey. I'm mainly interested in the geeky women that do blend in because the one's that stick out like the geeky guys do often times frighten me.

How do I tell which girl in the pack is the star trek fan?

How do I make it past your armada of warbirds to say hi without getting blown to smithereens?

--------------------
Bass lines are at their best when they are played by a bass.

Posts: 26 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 05:43      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a geeky girl/woman, I can tell you I have met most of my geeky men at science fiction conventions standing in long lines. Sounds like that is your thing anyway. So go find some lines you can stand in and chat us up
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 05:53      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does beg the question of how aliens chat each other up...

"By the mighty sword of Zarthon, you have great norkage."

"If I said you had a nice superelliptic Gargonian nodules, would you let me fwappagorgle them?"

"So tell me, do you transmogrify here often?"

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 06:59      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look for the little signs she's not as girly-girl as her friends. She'll be wearing glasses instead of contacts, flats instead of heels, Birkenstocks instead of strappy sandals, that sort of thing. Also, talk about school, and ask her what her favorite subjects were. Those are usually a dead giveaway.
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
priscilch
Mini Geek
Member # 2727

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 11:52      Profile for priscilch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Quoted from Grey Girl:
Look for the little signs she's not as girly-girl as her friends. She'll be wearing glasses instead of contacts, flats instead of heels, Birkenstocks instead of strappy sandals, that sort of thing. Also, talk about school, and ask her what her favorite subjects were. Those are usually a dead giveaway.

I don't know if that holds true anymore. Geek is becoming a lot more mainstream, so you're also going to get some girly-girls. I know in my college's Sci-Fi and Gaming club, there's other girls who like to dress up. I mean, I remember getting in a conversation with a girl about how much fun it is to wear a mini with stilletos, but also how utterly painful it could be.

I would also suggest going to SciFi and Gaming clubs, or finding that lone girl that hangs out with a bunch of guys... And I've noticed that there's a large number of girls who are into the whole vampire LARP, goth culture in my area.

Posts: 53 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 13:08      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My she-geek friends seem to have plenty more guy friends than girl friends.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 13:10      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:

Also, they aren't keen on stalking. So, if you are stalking any geeky girls in philly, I advise that you stop. And try to make yourself less creepy.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

priscilch
Mini Geek
Member # 2727

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 13:14      Profile for priscilch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But they are keen on nice guys. Not all geek guys are creepy and are potential stalkers.
Posts: 53 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 13:22      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooop, double post there ooby. [Wink]

As to the original question, I'm in the 'you find swamp plants in swamps' camp. In otherwords, to find geeky people, you gotta go geeky places.

A case in point. Dogbert and I first met in the school library and I proceeded to whoop her ass at chess. We never actually spoke properly until I met her again two years later, on the back seat of a minibus going to a Christian youth group.

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 18:10      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sconzey:
A case in point. Dogbert and I first met in the school library and I proceeded to whoop her ass at chess. We never actually spoke properly until I met her again two years later, on the back seat of a minibus going to a Christian youth group.

See, if you'd let her win at chess, then you would have a struck up a relationship sooner. That competitive streak cost you some time [Razz]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 21:12      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once let a girl win in chess. I felt so humiliated. The only saving grace was that we were in a bar so I could save some dignity by pretending to be drunk. She didn't even know how to move the pieces. Eventually, I taught her enough to try and think about what she's doing in chess.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 22:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I once let a girl win in chess. I felt so humiliated. The only saving grace was that we were in a bar so I could save some dignity by pretending to be drunk. She didn't even know how to move the pieces. Eventually, I taught her enough to try and think about what she's doing in chess.

Do they have 'Checkmate' brand condoms in the US ?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10705 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2004 22:26      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

Do they have 'Checkmate' brand condoms in the US ?
He should have continued playing badly, taken her home to play strip chess, and develop a sudden winning streak.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
mdee2004
Geek Larva
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2004 03:06      Profile for mdee2004     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

Also, they aren't keen on stalking. So, if you are stalking any geeky girls in philly, I advise that you stop. And try to make yourself less creepy.
I'm pretty certain that it isn't a coincidence that I have the same screen name on here that I did on Okcupid.com through which I met a girl from Philly. It's called IMing not stalking. I've never even been to Philidelphia and I'm not creepy either.

--------------------
Bass lines are at their best when they are played by a bass.

Posts: 26 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture