homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Love!   » All about Love!   » New Year's Eve (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: New Year's Eve
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 11 posted December 23, 2003 10:19      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So... who are you kissing at 00:00:01 January 1, 2004?

Also, what resolution are you going to make for 2004?

I'm going to try to lose 100 lbs. Okay, maybe 50.

Jess

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2003 10:30      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i will be in havasu and i will be kissing my bottle of whatever it is that im drinking that night.
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2003 11:23      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I doubt I'll be doing anything terribly exciting that night. Maybe I'll hack some, maybe I'll be on IRC, maybe I'll be watching a DVD - dunno (the odds of me actually going out on NYE is pretty unlikely - even more unlikely are the odds I'll be in Times Square :-P). The only thing I stand a chance of kissing that night is a crisp clean glass of purified well water.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted December 23, 2003 11:54      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
heh, i'll be with my two best friends, so no kissing going on there unless we all get too drunk again...

as for resolutions? i'm gonna go with the traditional cut out chocolate for a month, whilst making another resolution about a day later confirming that all resolutions are void, right..?

but who you are kissing... well that ain't as interesting (at least for me, who knows none of you irl) as who you'd like to kiss.... [blush]

love from the tin, Spoonie [Wink]

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2003 13:02      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jess, if you lose at the rate of 2 lb/week (which is as fast as you can safely go, BTW) then that resolution is doable in a year. Just be ready to forgive yourself for the inevitable screw-ups on the way. You are, after all, human. [Smile]

I don't know where I'll be New Year's Eve. Most likely at home, watching a movie. My sis and I might go out to a movie. I may just hole up in a corner and write. given that dman's on the other side of the country, I'll either be kissing a guinea pig or a cup of soda.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2003 13:22      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
resolution: i like to run already, but i would have to say gradually make my way up to 15 mi with 75lbs on my back. i want to get fit for the marine corps. I'm also going to cut back on my hours at work, start freelancing a little more and contribute more time to my studies.

quote:
the rate of 2 lb/week (which is as fast as you can safely go, BTW)
i remember back in wrestling season, we would be overweight and have to loose like 3lbs in about 8 hours before weigh-ins. If we were over just 1oz we wouldn't wrestle or get bumped up a weight-class.
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2003 13:53      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I said safely Jace. You can lose shitloads of weight in a short time, but most of it's water and, anyways, it's nota very nice thing to do with your body.

Y'know, I've carried ~75 lb for around 9 miles or so. Never tried it running. It was painful enough walking. Especially at the end when we gained around 3,000' in elevation over the course of a mile and a half. I've also done a 16 mile day, up and down a few ridges, but the pack could not have been more than 60 and, seeing as it was near the end of the trip, probably closer to 55. We took a break to get some ice cream at a visitor center and then made our final push up to a high alpine meadow to camp for the night. A very pleasant day.

Nothing however, beats Denali. Try hauling a 50 pound pack and 40 pound sled. Up hill. All day. At altitude. Now that, that fscking hurt.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2003 13:54      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pffff. I was hoping to watch the sun rise on 1 January 2004 with my girlfriend... But alas, it is not to be.

The reason begins with P, is plural but ends in t and is six letters.

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2003 14:10      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i plan to work my way up. i can already run 15 mi but next year im going to try it with a 20lb sack, then 25 and so on till i hit 75. i live about 15 minutes away from big bear so ill probably either go there or to wright-wood where it will only get to about 8500' ithink. (i thought i saw a sign that said 8000 and i know we went past it so...)
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2003 16:51      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure what lucky lady I'll be around at 00:00:01 20040101. Probably none. [Frown] But, you really never know, a lot can happen in 8 days, 3 hours, and 52 minutes. [Smile]

Edit (addendum): do you think by then Interland can get their clocks set??

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 23, 2003 17:20      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
Edit (addendum): do you think by then Interland can get their clocks set??

If they can lose a server, how can we possibly expect them to set a clock. [Roll Eyes]
Memory of the great GC two day outage. [Eek!]

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 24, 2003 01:02      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
So... who are you kissing at 00:00:01 January 1, 2004?

Probably a glass of apple cider, while watching a movie (most likely Total Recall or The Fly). However, adding 24 hours to that question, I'd have to say Scott [hearts] .

quote:
Also, what resolution are you going to make for 2004?
Well I dunno about the whole weight thing. I think I can manage losing 32 lbs. in a reasonable amount of time. I've already started. So far I've lost 7 lbs... I don't exactly remember when I started, but it was within this month. Anywho, hmm.. I think my resolution will be to stop procrastinating. But there's no rush in deciding now, I'll just wait till the 31st [Razz] .
Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 24, 2003 01:44      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really wouldn't suggest running with weight on your back. It fscks your knees.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
MTB Babe
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2297

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted December 24, 2003 07:12      Profile for MTB Babe   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I run long distance myself, and I have knee problems with no weight on my back!
I intend to cut beef out of my diet altogether. Its almost out of my diet completely anyway. I can see why European and Asian countries are cutting out the import of American beef altogether. I may splurge on 'organic' beef once in a while.
As for kissing someone, that would be a NEGATIVE.
[Razz]

--------------------
Samir: No one in this country can ever pronounce my name right. It's not that hard: Na-ee-ana-jaad. Nayanajaad.
Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.

Posts: 1003 | From: State College, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 24, 2003 13:31      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MTB Babe:
As for kissing someone, that would be a NEGATIVE.
[Razz]

If kissing is bad for your knees, you're invited to my N-Y-E party !
Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Beth
Mini Geek
Member # 2512

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2003 21:45      Profile for Beth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Year's Resolution: I will not spend New Year's Eve watching The Year of the Farce and playing Mario with obligatory group of geek guy friends.

Also, on the same note: I will not spend Valentine's Day watching movies and eating chocolate with ex-boyfriend-turned-gay-best-friend.

Actually, I can almost guarantee that I won't keep that first resolution - the pizza and Mario and geek-talk are too much fun to resist!! [shake head]

--------------------
"What are those Earth creatures called? Feathers, long bill, webbed feet .. go 'quack'...cats! I'm being nibbled to death by cats."

Posts: 88 | From: Winterpeg, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 25, 2003 22:12      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plans have just changed regarding who I'll be smooching this New Year's Eve, due to complications with my mom's work schedule; the hospital has subtracted a day of her break, which happens to be Jan. 1st, Eee!

*Running around like a beheaded chicken*

... Oki, that's nasty, I'll stop. Wait a minute, I'm supposed to be the one beheading the chickens!

--------------------
Mmmmrreow!

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2003 22:15      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:
I really wouldn't suggest running with weight on your back. It fscks your knees.

So does walking with a big weight on your back. :/
Twinkle Toes
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 25, 2003 22:20      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MTB Babe:

My knees and ankles pop out of place quite often. I don't run, but I walk daily, carrying about 30 lbs. [average] of school stuff... not all on my back though, which is both good and bad.

quote:
I intend to cut beef out of my diet altogether. Its almost out of my diet completely anyway. I can see why European and Asian countries are cutting out the import of American beef altogether.
Hooh, tell me about it. I think the spread of Mad Cow Disease is mostly to blame for that, at least in WA.

<somewhat useless fact> Did you know that vegetables absorb 67% of the nutrients in soil, and farmers only add 3 vitamins to it? </somewhat useless fact> Yeah! The farmers!

--------------------
Mmmmrreow!

Zim'et
Alpha Geek
Member # 2448

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted December 26, 2003 11:57      Profile for Zim'et         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going out with friends so I won't be kissing anyone... hopefully. And my New Years resolution is to spend at least three hours a day on my PS2. I think it feels neglected.

--------------------
3 2 1... Let's Jam

Posts: 254 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
NetwerkGuy
Geek Apprentice
Member # 2475

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2003 12:13      Profile for NetwerkGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Years Eve..Hmm..I am getting Chinese Food delivered and I will most likely be on IRC, and my grandmother is coming up for a visit for a few nights so most likely she is the only person I will be kissing [Razz]

--------------------
If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. -- Albert Einstein

Posts: 49 | From: /dev/null | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2003 12:45      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to watch the ski school instructors take huge torches and go throug the super terrain park. Then some fireworks, then TZ marathon [Smile] For dinner... hmm...
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2003 10:51      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wish I was going to be kissing someone. sigh. New Years will be pizza and going to First Night programs all over town. It is a lot of fun and a really eclectic variety of music.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted December 30, 2003 17:21      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I might be drunk and having sex with someone.
Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gibbonboy
Geek
Member # 2426

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 30, 2003 18:52      Profile for Gibbonboy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get to spend the moment with our Computer Aided Dispatch server, because the incident numbers have to be changed over to 2004**** manually. Thankfully, this is the last year that I have to do it, and next year will be the first year that I get to spend with my wife, son, and in-laws in Japan.
Resolutions- none spring to mind, maybe working less than 500 hours of overtime, or actually taking my vacation. Maybe next year.
Best to all.

--------------------
"It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here."

Posts: 155 | From: A Very Small Hole in the Forest | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture