homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Brexit means what now?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Brexit means what now?
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted January 17, 2019 11:30      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I'm aware that I'm complaining about my government melting down when for a large proportion of forum-dwellers they don't even have a functioning government, but this Brexit mess is getting increasingly terrifying.

For those of you living under a rock for the last 2.5y, Britain has had a stormy relationship with the European Union (our largest trading partner and biggest intelligence partner). By stormy I mean we've benefitted massively, but a few right-wing nutters have always had a problem with it (the cynic in me would suggest thats primarily to do with tax laws) and have used the scary idea of immigration, confused with the economic idea of freedom of movement, to drive fear of the EU in the popular press in the UK.

Everything came to a head a few years back with increasing "popularist" politics (a nice way of describing anyone from nationalists to neo-nazis) and our centre-right government offered a non-binding referendum on membership of the EU to appears the hard-right in their own party. No-one expected the leave vote to win, but through fear and electoral practices ranging from outright dodgy to lying, they did. The PM knowing this was unworkable immediately bailed, and we've been left in limbo since then while our politicians try and work to achieve an entirely unachievable "ideal" of leaving the UK without any repercussions while our economy tanks and our population becomes increasingly poor and divided.

It's terrifying. Almost paralysingly so.

What kind of world will I be living in come March, when we have to leave (oh yeah, we set in motion the act of leaving without knowing how we were going to do it in an attempt to win votes)? Is my country irrevocably fractured? I've just discovered that Stibbons 2.0 and 2.0.1 will be arriving some time in the summer - what kind of society am I going to be bringing them in to?

Posts: 1151 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted January 17, 2019 16:24      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's scary stuff, oh man I keep hoping they do a re-do, but it seems Labour doesn't want that either?

Putin must be laughing his evil ass off.

/me hugs Canada. I see the same right-wing nutters / Russian trolls happening here.

Stibbons 2.0 and 2.0.1? Holy cow congrats! and *gulp*

Posts: 8162 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2019 05:03      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
it seems Labour doesn't want that either?

It's not clear. Jezza Corbyn has always been kind of anti-EU, but I think as party leader he can see the benefits of staying in; the problem is the concern over losing pro-Brexit voters to the Tories.

The whole Brexit phenomena is a symptom of the way the poor are being treated in the UK (increasing social inequality secondary to "austerity" and lack of investment in public housing and social care meaning people don't have anywhere to live or be educated, but it's easy to blame immigrants for that), so I guess the question would be is it better to get a supported left-wing government in place to try and undo some of that and then re-enter the EU, or to stay in the EU but risk another decade of destruction of the welfare state at the hands of the conservatives.

quote:
Stibbons 2.0 and 2.0.1? Holy cow congrats! and *gulp*
Yeah, that's quite an unexpected life-style change on the horizon!
Posts: 1151 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture