homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » TIN-FOIL HAT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TIN-FOIL HAT
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2013 10:33      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Putting on my TIN-FOIL HAT, and my Nomex fire suit. It used to be that we feared a hacker compromising our systems, NO MORE, I do not fear the pimple face teenager in his parents basement. I now fear our over reaching Government. So does NSA share its data with the IRS, Credit agencies, and the Banks? I used to distrust Google, they are small fish compared to the NSA.

We used to hold in disdain totalitarian governments while Ours was becoming much worse. Our Congress critters claim that they did not not know, BS. they kept approving the budgets, did they get info on challengers?

Right now our government is facing two large problems, one the total loss of trust of the people, and two a dictator that is trying to make someone else seem like a saint.

I propose to cut the CIA and By inference the NSAs budget. Thats right folks sequester their monies. Cut off the funding. Pull the F...... Plug....

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 08, 2013 13:36      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan wrote:
does NSA share its data with the IRS, Credit agencies, and the Banks?

You wish. You can easily find out what information from the IRS, credit agencies and banks have on you. Finding out what the NSA has on you is nearly impossible.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2013 13:56      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As of Noon today I have E-Mailed my three Congress Critters, This

Putting on my TIN-FOIL HAT, and my Nomex fire suit. It used to be that we feared a hacker compromising our systems, NO MORE, I do not fear the pimple face teenager in his parents basement. I now fear our over reaching Government. So does NSA share its data with the IRS, Credit agencies, and the Banks? I used to distrust Google, they are small fish compared to the NSA.

We used to hold in disdain totalitarian governments while Ours was becoming much worse. Our Congress critters claim that they did not not know, BS. they kept approving the budgets, did they get info on challengers?

Right now our government is facing two large problems, one the total loss of trust of the people, and two a dictator that is trying to make someone else seem like a saint.

I propose to cut the CIA and By inference the NSAs budget. Thats right folks sequester their monies. Cut off the funding. Pull the F...... Plug....

The Bill of rights was written to protect the Citizens of this Country, however special interests have had Congress rewrite laws to take away those freedoms.

DE-FUND THE SPOOKS and Strike Bashar al-Assad, its time to clean up two messes.

So keep track to see how long before my accounts go dark.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2013 09:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, the only surprise here is that people are surprised.

For most of my career I've been securing systems, and whenever some manager asks if it's 'Completely Secure' my standard answer is
"Well, it won't stop the CIA, but it will keep out the lesser evil"

I always assumed the spooks could break all the standard encryption and security technology. Frankly, I'd be appalled if they couldn't. With a budget exceeding the GDP of many small countries, WTF are they doing with all that $$$ if not hiring the best and brightest hackers and giving them processor power the rest of us only dream of?

What's that?
You thought they'd only spy on 'bad guys'?
I've got some bridges I wanna sell you.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2013 12:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In theory in the USA. A land line phone call to another land line requires a court order to intercept. However if at your house or the person being called have/has a wireless phone, that radio transmission can be intercepted with out a court order.

Cell phone calls have no such restrictions, so if a call exits the land line system and becomes wireless, or begins as a cellular call all security bets are off the table.

I have long believed that the Internet was not protected as it started as a means of transferring data not personal voice.

The joke is about num. pairs, so now the Feds know how often the Mrs and my self order out.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2013 14:49      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over at ars technica they were saying " the question is not if the NSA (CIA) can crack encryption X. The questions is how much capacity do they have. Meaing, ius it trivial to crack all secured data out there or are they limited and only go after priority targets.

I guess most peoples best best are
a) Use enough security so that it would be more than trivial to get your data

b) don't become a priority target that they may want to expend peteflops on to get your data.

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2013 15:14      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ash, when I order stuff on line, I load a debit card with a little more than needed then do the transaction, so if the card num. is compromised I will not lose much. Then go buy a new card.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2013 15:37      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bad guys are not going to sniff your credit card number out of a single online transaction. They're going to buy it in bulk from a gang that hacked the entire credit card database from a major retailer or bank.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2013 16:44      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh, I deal in Vintage motorcycle parts, Vintage Tractor parts, and Vintage radio gear. None of this stuff is at a major marketeer, Yes some of these guys appear shady, so I cover my behind. Some transactions are done in person, some over the phone, and some via web-link. CYA does apply.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 11, 2013 10:20      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ashitaka wrote:
The questions is how much capacity do they have. Meaning, is it trivial to crack all secured data out there or are they limited and only go after priority targets.

You're very close. The question is how much capacity they have, but the capacity in question is not the capacity for cracking encrypted data.

The question is how much encrypted data they can store. By storing everything they can, they can go back and crack everything they've got on you once they decide that you're a person of interest.

And they aren't shy about it:
The Utah Data Center was built with future expansion in mind. The storage capacity will ultimately be measured in "zettabytes".

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2013 10:50      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G.S. I am glad I read the disclaimer at the bottom. I was ready to say why even use 256 or 512 go right to 2 ^ 10.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2013 22:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2^10 = 1024. Google is changing their SSL keys to 2048 (2^11) -- but this is all for naught if 'someone else' has a copy of the key. (Recent publications suggest this has happened on a not-insignificant scale.) Joe Q. Hacker won't be able to intercept your Gmail-reading in a coffee shop, but your friends over in Ft. Meade probably can. :/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2013 09:19      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So lets say that two individuals make a 2^20 code each have it set up on an off-line computer to write the messages/decode the messages, could these individuals keep some people in work for a few years?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2013 19:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
So lets say that two individuals make a 2^20 code each have it set up on an off-line computer to write the messages/decode the messages, could these individuals keep some people in work for a few years?

2 individuals who generated files of completely random byes and exchanged them once or twice a day via email could keep an entire room full of spooks 'usefully' employed for years.

Not that I'm suggesting trolling the NSA or CIA, I'm just sayin'...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2013 21:43      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your idea seems better less work for me.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2013 22:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD: Those two people might get the $5 wrench treatment seeking an explanation for what they're sending, though. :/

Mind you, it'd be fun up until that point. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 13, 2013 00:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
TFD: Those two people might get the $5 wrench treatment seeking an explanation for what they're sending, though. :/

Mind you, it'd be fun up until that point. [Wink]

LOL!
For those who don't get the reference...

-

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture