homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » We can all breath eazier again

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: We can all breath eazier again
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2012 06:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amateur radio operators keep track of events at the ITU because, that what they rule may affect each countries radio and telephone laws.

Forbes article

Any way for now the internet will stay the same.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5494 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2012 09:47      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, you can thank China, Russia and the UAE.

Every time the idea of giving control of the internet comes up, those three support it enthusiastically. Seeing three of the most oppressive regimes in the world get excited over something that would give them a measure of control over the internet terrifies the rest of the world and gets countries that normally couldn't agree on the color of the sun to gather together and oppose the idea.

The only thing more effective in organizing the rest of the world against UN control of the internet would be to resurrect Hitler and have him endorse the idea.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2012 14:39      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
The only thing more effective in organizing the rest of the world against UN control of the internet would be to resurrect Hitler and have him endorse the idea.

Uh... So you're saying this conversation is over?

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1673 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 14, 2012 19:54      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nah. Godwin's law doesn't say the conversation ends once Hitler or Nazis are used in a comparison, just that chance of that comparison being made becomes more likely the longer a conversation goes on.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 14, 2012 21:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know who else liked to quote Godwins Law?
Hitler.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10473 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2012 00:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
Nah. Godwin's law doesn't say the conversation ends once Hitler or Nazis are used in a comparison, just that chance of that comparison being made becomes more likely the longer a conversation goes on.

Hmm...Ugh's view was my understanding from years of /.

OTOH, per the ever-fallible Wikipedia, your point is cited as the key fact of Godwin's Law, and my understanding and Ugh's is cited as a possibly fallacious corollary:
quote:
There are many corollaries to Godwin's law, some considered more canonical (by being adopted by Godwin himself)[3] than others.[1] For example, there is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet discussion forums that once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever debate was in progress. The coupling of this corollary with the initial statement of the law proves every threaded discussion to be finite in length.[8] This principle is itself frequently referred to as Godwin's law. It is considered poor form to raise such a comparison arbitrarily with the motive of ending the thread. There is a widely recognized corollary that any such ulterior-motive invocation of Godwin's law will be unsuccessful.[9]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9220 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 15, 2012 05:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I brought the topic up because: We are safe until the next ITU conference.

--------------------

Posts: 5494 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2012 13:01      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, yes, I suspected my understanding of the law was limited or incorrect, but I had a mental page fault trying to remember Godwin's name! Thanks for setting me straight.

To MoMan's point, I don't know enough about the details to comment intelligently, but I suspect if the "internet" goes down a path of censorship for any reason, be it UN control or otherwise, an alternative will spring up that allows information to be free.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1673 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 17, 2012 14:36      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh. Wikipedia has a good write up, The ITU started long before there was a UN. At that time the ITU regulated Telegraph and then Telephone followed by Radio. Following WW2 the ITU was swallowed up by the UN.

There had to be standards as lines crossed borders.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.