homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Is this the beginning of the end for Facebook? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Is this the beginning of the end for Facebook?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted July 10, 2011 05:50      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you need a Google+ invite, just let me know. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2011 09:15      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got a few also.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2011 11:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the hell, I'll try anything once, except Morris Dancing.

-

One invitation please.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted July 10, 2011 16:19      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Druid... sent!
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2011 20:36      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting, mercifully free of the scourge of facebook games.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2011 07:45      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G+ seems like facebook before it became populated by idiots, and developers who mashed together apps designed to take money from idiots.

At the moment G+ seems to suffering from only appealing to early adopters, which is putting off the non-tech people I've given invites too. The circles thing is just a little too different to facebook for people wanting a brainless switch over. But give it time, and hopefully things will pick up.

Oh yeah, and I have invites too if needed.

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2011 10:41      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
...The circles thing is just a little too different to facebook for people wanting a brainless switch over....

You know...I still hear people complaining to this day that they don't like Gmail because "it doesn't have folders and I can't organize my e-mail." [Frown]
(And some of these people are actually normally clued in folks.)

If it wasn't for the fact that Facebook has soured me on social networking, I'd probably be interested in checking out Google+. Additionally, while I like Google a lot, I really don't think I need them knowing every last detail of my life.

However, I'm deeply heartened to see that Facebook has some non-scummy competition. That's a good thing! [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2011 10:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2011 15:08      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
... If it wasn't for the fact that Facebook has soured me on social networking, I'd probably be interested in checking out Google+. Additionally, while I like Google a lot, I really don't think I need them knowing every last detail of my life.

The scarier thing to me is that my ISP knows EVERY site I visit, and usually is more than willing to turn over that list to the first lawyer who asks for it.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2011 03:50      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
If you need a Google+ invite, just let me know. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

Done!

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted July 12, 2011 04:26      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
garlicguy ... done!
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2011 07:39      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on G+, too. Liking it so far, though I hope they keep development on the fast track.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2011 11:26      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
garlicguy ... done!

Thank you.

We'll see how it goes.

But I like the flow of it, early on anyway.

[thumbsup]
gg

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2011 12:50      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like aspects of it. Much easier to pick and choose who you want to post to. The interface is definitely not as cluttered feeling. All in all, not bad.

Of course it is a bit odd to see so little passing through in comparison to Facebook. And its closed nature due to the Beta status means there are less people to interact with.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2011 18:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn Google is good at ad placement.

I was just reading a friends G+ posting about the home NAS box she's bought, and G+ helpfully placed ads for that item and a couple of competing products, all done in a way that wasn't annoying, and actually had me wanting to click the links to check G+'s recommendations.

Very slick.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2011 00:49      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howard Taylor, the creator of Schlock Mercenary, also had an interesting viewpoint on Google+

And to answer the topic question; No, it isn't. Farmville addicts will keep Facebook around even if all else fails. At this point, it's nearly as unstoppable as WoW.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2011 15:56      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like one if any are still available.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2011 16:02      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorWho:
I would like one if any are still available.

PM me with your email address and I'll send you one.

btw - any interest in setting up a GC circle on G+?

btw2 - I suspect this whole 'invitation only' bizzo is a bit of clever marketing by Google. They did the same with gmail, it gets people setting up threads like this one all over the place, lots of free advertising.

--------------------

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted July 13, 2011 16:16      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never mind, I see I have one waiting in my e-mail box. Thanks Garlic Guy. [Smile]

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2011 01:15      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know I'm late to the party but I'll bite if there are any left.
Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2011 02:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HalfVast:
I know I'm late to the party but I'll bite if there are any left.

Send me a PM with the email address you want it sent to.

--------------------

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2011 02:10      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PM me your e-mail address and I will send you one.

--------------------

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2011 15:12      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, this looks promising. The circles idea seems
like a good one and it appears to contain the things
I liked about facebook without the things I didn't
(which we're mostly people from High School I friended
so perhaps that's my fault...)

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2011 21:31      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Google+ Jim, but not as we know it

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 22, 2011 11:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow.

-

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture