homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » I just figured out that the oil companies profit by being unsafe.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I just figured out that the oil companies profit by being unsafe.
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2011 13:15      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The alaskan pipeline is operating at half of it's normal output because of a small spill at a pumping station.

The price per barrel of oil is up 1% today because of that ( see above link).

The three owners of the alaskan pipeline are Exxon/Mobile, BP and connoco-phillips.

Assuming that the oil companies increase their prices of gasoline to compansate for the increase in crude oil price ...

Exxon makes 2.3 million barrels of oil per day. The price of oil is 88.93 USD per barrel instead of 88.03 USD per barrel, a 90 cent increase.

Exxon/Mobile is making an extra 2 million dollars a day because of this accident (assuming the sell 2.3 million barrels per day and assuming that they don't have much increased costs because of this accident. Since it is small, I think we can assum that.)

Assuming Conocophillps sells 1.59 million barrels per day, they are reaping a profit of 1.4 million USD per day.

BP, who also prodces ca 2.3 million barrels per day is reaping a profit of also ca 2 million per day.

All because they spilled a littl oil.

And now think about all the other oil companies, who did nothing, and are reaping huge profits, bcasue the oil price is going up, bcause of this spill.

I tll you, it pay good money to be sloppy with oil.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3079 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2011 15:13      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I'm glad that you have become enlightened, but not only by creating their own shortages they get tax breaks (Oil Depletion Allowance) for the oil pumped out of the ground, so oil spilled still gets the tax break.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5421 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2011 17:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Color me stupid, but I thought we got most of our oil from overseas...
(It's always galled me that we seem to sell our oil to other countries, and then buy ours from people who hate us. [But the economists say it makes sense!!!])

As such, it seems like nothing short of racketeering that something that shouldn't directly affect much of our market...affects the whole damn country. I just filled up this morning at $3.329/gal. The local rag has pointed out that this is the first winter that prices have remained over $3. *sigh* I'm relatively certain that crude from Alaska isn't being trekked across the country to reach us in NY -- it's most likely coming in from a ship via NJ. Let's ditch the SUVs, improve mass transit, and end the damn wars. </leftie_pinko_commie?>

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9195 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2011 19:10      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, dman, IIRC, most of our oil comes from Canada, eh?

That being said:
quote:
Let's ditch the SUVs, improve mass transit, and end the damn wars.
HEAR HEAR!!!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2329 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 10, 2011 20:33      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
Actually, dman, IIRC, most of our oil comes from Canada, eh?

Interesting...didn't know that. I like Canada! [Big Grin]

Link from Wikipedia:
http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/current/import.html

Also from Google searches - I can hardly wrap my brain around that.
http://www.platts.com/weblog/oilblog/2010/05/09/us_oil_exp.html

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9195 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.