homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Obesity is not a Moral Judgement! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Obesity is not a Moral Judgement!
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2010 19:47      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here you go Ms. Rhonwyyn!

I have not been mean to you. I mean no offence! I do not know why you are mean to me. Why? Why? Why?

You axed me to know the facts and read your friend.

I Have my Romex suit on! Here we go.

My good friend who is a geek and a scientist and she has letters after her name for staying in school. P and H and D and M and D. OK? And she is a world expert on Heartery Tacks and Obesity. She talks all over the whole world at science festivals!

She says you are wrong. Obesity is a de-seise. Yes Ma-damsel, you are wrong about factuals. Wrong about me. Tra-La! DE-Dah!

Do not take my words or letters.

OBESITY IS NOT A COSMETIC ISSUE NOR A MORAL JUDGEMENT

WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION SAYS OBESITY IS A MAJOR HEALTH PROBLEM

"The non-fatal, but debilitating health problems associated with obesity include respiratory difficulties, chronic musculoskeletal problems, skin problems and infertility. The more life-threatening problems fall into four main areas: CVD problems; conditions associated with insulin resistance such as type 2 diabetes; certain types of cancers, especially the hormonally related and large-bowel cancers; and gallbladder disease."

AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION: THE EFFECTS OF OBESITY ON CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE AND HEALTH ARE MANY

JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN SOCIETY OF NEPHROLOGY: OBESITY TRIPLES THE RISK OF CHRONIC KIDNEY FAILURE

JOURNAL OF ENROCRINOLOGY: OBESITY NOTABLY LINKED TO HYPERTENSION

JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY: OBESITY PLAYS A ROLE IN PROSTATE CANCER

AMERICAN COLLEGE OF GASTEROENTEROLOGY: OBESITY INCREASES RISK OF COLORECTAL CANCER

I will say those are smart people! Science geeks, boy howdy! Those things sure look like factuals! Made by real scientists!

So what is my place? I stand in the place where I live and face North!

And when I stand right there I am Fiver Niner and 200 pounds I am clinically overweight! Me Too! BMI 26!

200 Pounds! You, can think of that at 800 quarter pounders with cheese! How about that! Tast-ee huh?

And at just a weensy bit overweight I have hypertension, borderline diabetes, a pool-lip removed from my colon, and a cancer prostate removed a year ago.

But I still sing at the alarm clock when I wake up alive! I work to lose my fatty boo-tee! I eat more plants. I eat less animals! Hoo-Ray!

It is cancer month! Fat makes cancer. So I say a big N-O NO! to fat! Yes, indeedy. Boy-O-Boy! That is my place! LIVESTRONG!

So now I say time for you and fat myths. OK? I will chain link the fence to your gurl-frriend:

Cause there is that German-ster myth opry where it ain't over till the fat lady sings Go Valkeries!

So here is the fat lady! Trrraaaaaaaa-LAAAAAAAAAAA!

FAT LADY WALLOWS IN HATRED AND IGNORANCE

Now it's over! No offence!

Have a great day!

Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2010 21:34      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh look. Facts. Damn you pinko commie liberal. [Wink]

*cough*

I mean, thank you for a fair and balanced treatment of things, and sparing me the effort of using Google or being flamed.

*cough*

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9220 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2010 02:21      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well defended Sir.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3080 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2010 03:29      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ This is one of those topics that is like treading on thin ice, My BMI is 31, I would not have fit in the rescue capsule, I may have the outline of The Woz.

____ However even I sometimes make judgements on appearance, it is not a good trait. Many people have thin skin, it may have been rubbed thin for them, by others, mea culpa.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5494 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2010 20:06      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh, not trying to be mean (it just comes naturally?), so I'm sorry if I hurt you. I get defensive when people "concern troll" fat people since I am one and I know that there's a whole lot more that goes into it than what the media would have you believe.

I really like Kate Harding's breakdown of things here. She links to Junk Food Science's blog, which critically reviews some of those links posted above. Linda Bacon's "Health At Every Size" (referred to in the fat acceptance community as HAES) is also a good read and way of life.

In short, being fat is not a death sentence. Many of the supposed side effects of this "disease" are the result of the way people treat those who are fat. It's a psychological issue, not a physical one. We need to remove the barriers that prevent fat people from full participation in society: bias, ridicule, expectation of poor health, assumption of ignorance and stupidity, etc. In my experience, those contribute more to poor health than fat does.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3846 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2010 17:16      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some food for thought, and more food for, well, eating. I think Ms Harding is laughing all the way to the bank.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2010 18:02      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, not sure what your point is about Donna Simpson, ZSR. However, I happened to stumble across this redux of the "Daily Mail" story tonight, so I thought I'd share: http://corpulent.wordpress.com/2010/04/21/worlds-fattest-woman/

--------------------

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted October 18, 2010 18:53      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, that's the woman telling everyone to stop exercising and eating a healthy, balanced diet since it's all useless and ineffective, get as fat as one could possibly want and not worry about it, and yet she looks like she has a better diet and gets more exercise than all of us combined. Just look at those lean, muscular forearms that would make Madonna jealous. Sure, she's might be just a bit more heavy-set than average, but there's absolutely no way in hell she's leading the lifestyle she advocates. Apologies for being rude, but the only fat I can spot in that picture is in places where no guy would object. Not only she's a hypocrite, she's also a cold-blooded killer - laughing all the way to the bank while her gullible readers follow her "great" advices and get themselves closer and closer to a heart attack.
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2010 20:04      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to ride ambulances and I'm going to offer one of those rare instances when anecdotal evidence actually agrees with statistics: every single cardiac patient I took in was either overweight and/or a smoker. IIRC, they were all over 40 also. The only exception was a skinny man in his 30's who had a very rare type of viral infection and the virus was attacking his heart (sorry, I am drawing a complete blank on the name of the bug, but I distinctly recall myself and the paramedics who took the call looking it up in one of the reference books at the ER because none of us had ever heard of it and we were dying to know how to not get it). The only diabetics I saw who were not noticeably overwieght were the Type Is; I did not see a single Type II diabetic who didn't need to lose a few pounds, but I did meet a few people who were Type II diabetic before they lost a pile of weight. Most of the Type IIs I treated needed an ambulance for reasons unrelated to the diabetes. The Type Is usually needed us because something happened related to their blood sugar.

BTW, while I'm on a roll...you know the Atkins diet? It's a crock and, if you have heart disease or diabetes, it's dangerous. If you do try it, and no one with the know-how is monitoring your ass, around week two you're going to develop an arrhythmia and find yourself talking to an EMT and trying to explain why, even though you know you have a serious medical condition, you made a drastic change in your diet without your doctor's input. I never heard an excuse that actually made a lick of sense.

Edit: Kawasaki disease. That was what the 30-something year-old man with the bad heart had. Usually, it only infects children and it is known to cause heart complications. I told my mom about later because I thought she'd be interested and her reaction was "You saw an adult diagnosed with what?"

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2010 22:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some food for thought... (erm...pun mildly intended)

One unfortunate problem online these days is that sites can encourage people to tune out all other ideas, and simply feed on their own egos and 'bright ideas.' Case in point: The birthers. Such people ignore real facts willfully, or treat them with disdain, as though conspiracy theories. (n.b. Someone expressed this point this better on /. earlier today...'birthers' was an apt example used. However, this serves not to plagiarize, but to summarized assorted things read over the past year.)

In recent times, websites have cropped up that encourage downright unhealthy behavior or criminal activities.

Do you support:
Websites that act as support communities for active anorexics/bulimics, encouraging bad eating habits on the other side of the spectrum?

Websites that enlist and support jihadism?

Websites that encourage suicide...going so far as to provide plans and moral support?

Websites that offer a marketplace for phished credit card information? ("carders")

Online activity that scares / shames a gay student to kill himself?

Online bullying via Facebook, et al., that has lead at least on girl to kill herself?

All of the above would be identified by most as sites/activities that make bad activities seem increasingly acceptable to those who frequent them. On a far lesser scale, it's become a well documented issue that people seek their news from sites that cater to their views, tuning out 'the other side.' (i.e. WSJ readers not reading NYT and vice versa.)

While I'm sure it would be deemed grievously offensive to draw an analogy between the above and fat acceptance [*] sites, is it really that different? A well written blog (disclosure: that's an assumption, I haven't seen it) can win over a great many people, and cause many facts to be swept under the carpet, leaving the new facts to carry more weight, and be told loudly.

[*] (a concept I'd never heard of before, I might add)

At the end of the day, I strongly encourage anyone to ask their doctor about appropriate medical and dietary decisions. Most well qualified doctors can generally state what a 'target weight' should be, and any concerns that may pertain to current conditions, or diet risks/plans.

P.S. I was walking on the High Line last night, clearing my head a little, and a very un-PC thought hit me, especially after seeing this thread. When I saw the /one/ and only /one/ rather large person up there, I immediately thought 'tourist.' If that's not normal, why did it play out that way? Why only one?

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9220 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2010 02:47      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought kawasaki desease wasthe love of über modern japanese rice brner motorcycles.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2010 10:05      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the health problems associated with being fat are not caused by being fat, but rather by the lifestyle that leads to being fat.

The fact is that it is entirely possible to be fat and healthy, but it's extremely unlikely. Unless you have other health problems (and saying "thyroid" between eating boxes of Twinkies doesn't count), following a lifestyle that gives you good health will cause you to lose any excess weight you might have.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2010 11:43      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I am only speaking for myself here, habits I picked up forty years ago are why I have health problems now, I have looked in the mirror I do not like what I see. The old adage of if it tastes good spit it out could be applied to me. I do not crave deserts, I just eat solid stick to your ribs food, until I hurt then I stop. Lack off self control, I eat too damn much.

--------------------

Posts: 5494 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2010 17:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lost interest when I got to the part where an expression of concern for someones health was described as

quote:
From kateharding.net:
hating entire groups of people because of their appearances

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10473 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2010 20:00      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://blog.sinthetik.com/it-could-be-worse-you-could-be-fat

There's a guy's take on this subject that y'all might find interesting.

--------------------

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2010 21:01      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
Most of the health problems associated with being fat are not caused by being fat, but rather by the lifestyle that leads to being fat.

If lifestyle is the problem it sure would be nice if people actually talked about lifestyle instead of assuming they know what's happening when a person is fat. Believe it or not, some fat people exercise and eat well, some skinny people eat crap and sit on the couch all day. The second person is not the healthier of the two. And it's also entirely possible that the person walking down the street at 250 pounds has already lost a bunch of weight and is as skinny as they are going to get.

quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
m, that's the woman telling everyone to stop exercising and eating a healthy, balanced diet since it's all useless and ineffective, get as fat as one could possibly want and not worry about it, and yet she looks like she has a better diet and gets more exercise than all of us combined

Assuming you're talking about Kate Harding there, I'd suggest you have no idea what you're talking about, or else you completely misunderstand what the word "fat" means. To give myself as an example:

-

Granted, I'm on the "smaller" side of fat, but that is what your average obese American looks like right there. And IIRC, Harding is right about at the same BMI as me.

Besides which, I don't think there is anyone in the fat acceptance sphere that says you shouldn't eat healthy foods and be active. Just that 1)being healthy is not a moral imperative--and foods do not have moral components 2)you can't tell how "healthy" a person is by looking at them and 3)dieting (especially yo-yo dieting--which is most of it) is self-destructive.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2010 02:21      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
Some skinny people eat crap and sit on the couch all day.

Is this empirical evidence or is there a study that you could point me to that shows this. I know skinny people who eat junk food all the time but every person in this catagory i have met has also had a very active lifestlye, or were growing teenagers.

quote:
2)you can't tell how "healthy" a person is by looking at them and

BS,

It is possible to look healthy and be really sick, but if you look unhealthy, I really doubt you are healthy. And if you don't agree with the above statement, then I think your judgement has been corrupted by pop culture in regards to what unhealthy is.

quote:
3)dieting (especially yo-yo dieting--which is most of it) is self-destructive.

Yoyo dieting is not healthy , I agree, BUT, Dieting can be compard to quitting something, like smoking, If you fall off the wagon, the most likely way to success is to get back on the wagon and stay there, and not to worry that trying again means you are yoyoing.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2010 07:32      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BMI is completely meaningless, it's the body fat percentage that matters. For certain body types, it's entirely possible to lead a healthy lifestyle and still have a BMI over 30 while having normal body fat percentage and being perfectly healthy. Abnormally high body fat content, on the other hand, is caused by a combination of three things - poor health, lack of exercise, and way too many twinkies.
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2010 08:49      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going by BMI alone, Shawn Crawford is overweight.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2010 10:03      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Obesity is not a Moral Judgement! Quite correct, however the Moral Judgement comes in as you look at other people.

DO YOU think that that person is ________ ? Moral Judgement.

The judgement happens in our own heads, Look in the mirror and think about who you have judged today.

--------------------

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 8 posted October 21, 2010 10:19      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think those who take good care of ourselves have every right to judge those who don't, as we're the ones paying for their poor decisions through ever-increasing insurance premiums. Don't want to be judged? Write a little note saying "please don't call an ambulance when I have a heart attack" and carry it with you everywhere so we don't have to pay a part of that $500,000 heart surgery hospital bill when all those twinkies finally catch up with you. I couldn't care less about what anyone does, eats or looks like, but I sure as hell do care when their actions lighten my wallet. There, everyone go ahead and flame me!
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2010 11:07      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no need to turn this topic into another stupid flame war. We've all seen more than enough of them to last a lifetime.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2010 13:20      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by the same token, then, i don't want to pay for your knee replacement because you blew it out during a marathon. It's your fault for being athletic, so why should i be expected to pay for you?

--------------------

Eponine
Highlie
Member # 548

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2010 15:23      Profile for Eponine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
I think those who take good care of ourselves have every right to judge those who don't,

I'm not going to flame you, but I'm going to disagree with your basic assumptions.

I'm 195 lbs and 5'2"- by the BMI I'm morbidly obese. I also eat a pretty fabulous diet full of fruits, veggies, and meats. I'm actually pretty passionate about good food, but that's another subject entirely. I also have two kids I run around after all day long, so I'm constantly moving, including a daily ~hour long nature walk. More than just diet and exercise, I make sure to get enough sleep, some time to myself, and maintain good relationships with those I live with and am around every day. I avoid cigarettes, coffee, and drugs (both the illegal and prescription kind). I wear my seatbelt. By all standards, I take care of myself. My husband worked with a guy who thought ramen was "real food". This guy ate Hostess snack cakes, and fast food pretty much all the time. He was also really really skinny. Shortly after telling me about this guy, he landed in the hospital. He had to be fed by an IV, and diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. But he was skinny.

Fat/= doesn't take care of themselves. And Skinny/= takes care of themselves.

You can't tell by looking at someone whether they take care of themselves.

--------------------
No Day But Today

Posts: 745 | From: Midwest, US | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2010 22:25      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
by the same token, then, i don't want to pay for your knee replacement because you blew it out during a marathon. It's your fault for being athletic, so why should i be expected to pay for you?

Nice one, I'll bite (much pun intended.) If I blew out my knee after my doctor repeatedly told me my bones are weak and I shouldn't run but I ran anyways, or I pushed myself way beyond my limits and knew I was going to blow out my knee unless I stopped but instead kept running until my knee gave out, it's all my fault an no one is obligated to pay. If, on the other hand, I simply tripped and fell - well, that's what insurance is for. You see, blowing out one's knee isn't due to being athletic, it's either an accident or result of one's carelessness and stupidity. But then again, heart problems are also nothing but accidents and have nothing to do with being morbidly obese and not doing anything about it - all those scientist are quacks anyways, right? Kate Harding and some random junk food science blog say so, how can they possibly be wrong? [Wink]

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.