homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » how much do you know about religion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how much do you know about religion
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2010 01:27      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
religion quiz

NYT article

For the record, I got 14 out of 15. # 15 is hard.

I love that you can go look at the stats. It is very curious that percentage of peopel who answered question 15 correctly is so far below 33%. Considering there are 3 possible answers, and assuming that no one could answer this question, the number of people who answered correctly should still be 20% higher. I assume the answers are choosen to get people to guess wrong.

SPOILER ALERT
I didn't guess BG because he is famous for somethign else. I didn't guess Mr E. because I thought the name sounds like the name of a politician who cheated on his wife, which left one answer, a name I didn't recognize, to guess with. I assume most people made the same guess I did.

to bad you can't see wrong answers

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2010 06:20      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tried to take the quiz but the "take the quiz" button does not seem to be working right now. I will check back later this evening.

Edit: Ok I gave it one more try and it worked. I got 14 out of 15 correct. For the record I got #14 wrong.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2010 11:56      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not working.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2010 13:06      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Ash, is this a test of will power, as I have tried at different times all day and still have not gotten past page one.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2010 13:10      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, you can get to the same quiz through the NYT times link ( its on the left)

The site seems slashdotted from being linked in a NYT article. I also can no longer reach the site.

ps sorry again, the NYT quiz is only 6 of the 15 questions.

updated link

sorry guys, it worked this morning.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2010 14:58      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The quiz button doesn't work for me unless I go to the full report page and then go to the quiz page from there. They might be disabling the link based on the referring page (or maybe that was just a coincidence).

I got 15 out of 15, but only one question seemed even slightly obscure. I'm surprised anyone gets less than 14 right.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2010 15:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Missed the last one. I know I learned that in either a history or literature class in HS, but forgot. As for the rest...how the fsck can you get the one about transubstantiation wrong and call yourself Catholic? Or the one about Martin Luther wrong and call yourself Protestant? Bloody hell, that was all in my public high school world history class!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2010 15:42      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got 14 out of 15. Although I'd heard of The First Great Awakening, I really don't know much about it, thus, I missed #15 as well.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2010 18:15      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
6/6 right now, thanks to the NYT. I can't access the Pew Forum site (it won't load).
Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2010 05:59      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Okay I blew #6 & #15

____ Now since we are discussing religion, I have a question. If some one really liked Fish would that still be a Friday pennence?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2010 06:33      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan wrote:
If some one really liked Fish would that still be a Friday pennence?

No. I'm afraid you're stuck eating beaver

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2010 07:15      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really can't consider eating seafood a penance living where I live. After all south Louisiana has some of the best seafood in the world, and that is despite the oil spill. When lent comes around all the best seafood places are packed on Fridays. If the Catholics were serious about their faith in this area, they'd be at home eating fish fingers and custard instead. [Wink]

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2010 07:53      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Well around here we have Rainbow, Brook, and Steelhead trout. Then Small and Large mouth Bass, plus Perch. Then there are Cappies Bluegills, Sunfish. I do love to fish. Farther North there are tons of White Fish, all good eating. The DNR has also stocked the lakes with CoHo and some other Salmon.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2010 10:27      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
I'm afraid you're stuck eating beaver

First question -- how did you come to know this? What on Earth were you googling to lead you there? (My mind is past boggling -- it's now hyperdiscombobulated.)

Second question -- if one is a Catholic Vulcan, does this still apply? (Surely Vulcans may only eat beaver once every seven years, yes?)

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted September 29, 2010 10:37      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
13 / 15 ARRRGGGG!!!

DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!! [cry baby] [cry baby]

Then again, the less I think about religion the better. [evil]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2010 16:55      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Snaggy, what you said!!!

____ Grumpy, that is not the image that came to mind, now I have to eat more fish. Me thinks some good Steelhead would fill the bill, or some Smoked Whitefish.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2010 17:20      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
13/15. But I knew the one about communion-just second-guessed myself foolishly. The nuns at Catholic school would tsk. [Roll Eyes]

Not to be prejudiced, but don't the results have a strong correlation to education? Atheists, many being science-oriented, would tend to be educated, as would Jews and Mormons. Hispanic Catholics and Evangelicals, at the bottom, would have less access to education?

Just wondering.......

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2010 18:08      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got 15/15 right, though, to be honest, #15 was a lucky guess. I knew one of the possibilities wasn't right, so I had a 50/50 chance of getting it.

The part that bugs me is how few apparently understand what freedom of religion in the US means. Everyone should try to know that, but most seem perfectly fine sticking with the commonly-misunderstood version.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 29, 2010 23:04      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snupy:
13/15. But I knew the one about communion-just second-guessed myself foolishly. The nuns at Catholic school would tsk. [Roll Eyes]

Not to be prejudiced, but don't the results have a strong correlation to education? Atheists, many being science-oriented, would tend to be educated, as would Jews and Mormons. Hispanic Catholics and Evangelicals, at the bottom, would have less access to education?

Just wondering.......

As an educated catholic I would say such a proposition would require evidence to suggest.

Though, I was stunned that only 94% of the chosen people knew that the Jewish sabbath is from dusk to dusk, and therefore starts on Friday.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2010 04:30      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The results are a testament to the ignorance and lack of curiosity of the human race. Apart from the last question (of which I know nothing) and the ones on what the US Supreme court has ruled on teachers and religion, about which I made educated correct guesses, the answers all seemed blindingly obvious to this non college educated person.

All this despite famously religious nature of the US. I am baffled.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2010 05:08      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got 15/15, but #15 was a lucky guess: I don't even know what the "Great Awakening" is... It is not being taught in French Catholic schools, apparently.

And I didn't check the statistics - no time this morning!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 30, 2010 05:24      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
... I don't even know what the "Great Awakening" is... It is not being taught in French Catholic schools, apparently...

No surprise there considering it was a Protestant religious movement. Wikipedia appears fairly accurate about the subject last I checked.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture