homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » autism, science takes a hit to the gut

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: autism, science takes a hit to the gut
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2010 03:45      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
first judgment agaist vaccine makers in an autism case.

FTFA,

"The vaccine didn't cause the disorder, it resulted in it. "

I want to ask these parents, this judge, how many horrible deaths of young children from preventable deseases they are then liable for? The parents, lawyers and judge will not cause the deaths of these children, but thier actions certainly will result in the horrible deaths of children from preventable deseases when other parents, hearing this ruling don't vacconate thier babies.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2010 04:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's assume for a moment that the vaccine actually caused the problem in that case.

I'd still rather vaccinate my kids than take the risk of not vaccinating.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 11, 2010 09:33      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The article is misleading. This is not a court award. From TFA: the government settled the case before trial and had it sealed. There was no trial and no judicial decision and no precedent has been set.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2010 12:05      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Let's assume for a moment that the vaccine actually caused the problem in that case.

I'd still rather vaccinate my kids than take the risk of not vaccinating.

That video should be shown to every nutjob that considers not vaccinating his or her child. Utterly full of WIN!

Furthermore, it seems to me the goal would not be to demonize these highly effective vaccines, but to work on diagnosing the mitochondrial disease that got triggered. If such children could be identified, they could be the sole people not to receive vaccination, and perhaps even receive the vaccines that are shown to be 'completely safe' for them.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
brainisfried
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3067

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 20, 2010 09:39      Profile for brainisfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To add insult to injury what Dr. Wakefield claimed isn't what he's accused of claiming, but parents smell a rat and stop vaccinating their kids entirely. If honest scientific debate were allowed this mess would have never happened.

There are some really good interviews with Wakefield online, not to mention his book. Long story short his argument is that vaccinations should be delayed and spread out to minimize side effects. Let the child's immune system develop a bit first. The standard schedule has never been properly tested, it's just assumed to be safe because some doctor wrote in a textbook that in theory you could give a child 10,000 vaccinations and the immune system could handle it.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2010 10:49      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You realize Wakefield was not directly involved in this case and nobody has said anything about him in this topic, right?

I've seen straw man arguments thrown up before, but at least they had a few words from the ongoing discussion in them. This is just a weird-ass defense of someone whose name hasn't been mentioned, much less impugned.

For the record, though, Wakefield was stricken from the medical register and prevented from practicing medicine in the UK for a reason. "I didn't say not to use the vaccine. I just said it's linked to autism" would still be an idiotic defense, even if he hadn't treated parents' anecdotal evidence as hard fact ins his studies and been found guilty of falsifying data.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture