homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Scariest thing I've read in a long time...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scariest thing I've read in a long time...
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 03, 2010 17:43      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Confessions of a Tea Party casualty

quote:
From TFA:
I sat down, and they said on the back of your Social Security card, there's a number. That number indicates the bank that bought you when you were born based on a projection of your life's earnings, and you are collateral. We are all collateral for the banks. I have this look like, "What the heck are you talking about?" I'm trying to hide that look and look clueless. I figured clueless was better than argumentative. So they said, "You don't know this?! You are a member of Congress, and you don't know this?!"

These are the people who will be running the Republican Party after November.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2010 06:07      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Confessions of a Tea Party casualty

quote:
From TFA:
I sat down, and they said on the back of your Social Security card, there's a number. That number indicates the bank that bought you when you were born based on a projection of your life's earnings, and you are collateral. We are all collateral for the banks. I have this look like, "What the heck are you talking about?" I'm trying to hide that look and look clueless. I figured clueless was better than argumentative. So they said, "You don't know this?! You are a member of Congress, and you don't know this?!"

These are the people who will be running the Republican Party after November.
Checking my Soc. Sec. card. Nope, no number.

How does the bank expect to get a return on investment? Are they supposedly getting a cut of the taxes I pay?

How did this guy know this? If this programm were true, it would have to be top secret, and who puts top secret information on the back of cards taht everyone gets?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2010 10:28      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck trying to figure out the logic behind that argument. This article might help.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2010 11:40      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some people are just infected with teh crazy. You know how signs have little reflective stickers on the backs? So if you're coming up behind them at night you'll know something's there? Well, 8 or so years ago, I stumbled across a website where some guy was going on and on about how they're special signals for FEMA for when FEMA takes over the country.

And then there's the famous YouTube video of a rainbow in a sprinkler and some woman going on and on about how the water was poisoned because she'd never noticed this before.

The nutjobs aren't new. The power the GOP is giving to them is scary, though.

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2010 13:13      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For reference:
Roadsign stickers = Tacmars (archive.org copy... the orignal was taken down long ago)
Rainbows lady = this video

I love me some conspiracy theorists (they're better than TV), but I have to agree with Xanthine that the GOP is giving them scary amounts of influence.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2010 14:02      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Damit, Xan & GS you were not supposed to reveal that yet. Now we have to make up new cover stories.

____ This is TheMoMan from the HillTop

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 04, 2010 21:38      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
For reference:
Roadsign stickers = [URL=http://web.archive.org/web/20050706024541/http://www.tackamarks.freeservers

Oh man...I haven't seen that thing in awhile - the picture with arrows is priceless!

I loved the X-Files...but it's fiction!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2010 00:02      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Oh man...I haven't seen that thing in awhile

That's because THEY have suppressed the information, but The Truth is out there...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 05, 2010 00:20      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Sparks a Morley in a dark corner and chuckles* </CSM>

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2010 05:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, yeah, it's fun to laugh now, but what happens if these nutters get elected, and decide to go to war with their imaginary enemies?

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2010 07:54      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The serious nut cases are self defeating. By the time enough of them assemble to form a basis of power, they start being suspicious of each other and begin fighting among themselves (which is already happening... look at the OP link), which leads to fragmentation. They'll never be much more than occasionally annoying and occasionally amusing background noise.

The truly dangerous ones are the ones who all share the same delusional beliefs like the Christians who believe that every one of the 1.2 billion followers of Islam is a bloodthirsty terrorist that needs to be killed. Those are the people who say God is on their side as they lead our country into a pointless wars that slaughter innocent people.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2010 10:00      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Imaginary is better than real, with a few exceptions.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2010 10:18      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ The Conspiracy theorists, The TeaBaggers, the Republicans, how are you going to get around this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/opinion/01stockman.html

____ It will not matter what bank owns you in the long run.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2010 10:43      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I've talked to enough tea party people to understand Inglis' frustration. They say some of the most ludicrous, unsupportable, unbelievable, dumbass, illogical things with complete sincerity. It sometimes just defies explanation.

I'm willing to go a long way to try and understand people, but this willingness... no... joyful acceptance of whatever they hear as long as it fits what they want to believe goes so far beyond reasonable it becomes very difficult to comprehend. There's no room for questioning or criticism of their side. It's as if they believe the whole of the US should be one big patriotism cult.

Just found a list of the top 5 Republicans who have criticized the Tea Party.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2010 13:30      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I forgot at this time, where it was published. That neither party should dismiss them out right, because some of the Tea Party talking points are founded in experience of that person and some branch of Government. Township, City, County, State, and Federal, these people believe that they have been dismissed.

____ Look what is happening in Bell, Ca. many people in that city have a right to feel dismissed.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2010 15:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:

The problem with most conspiracy theories is, the closer you look at the theory, the longer the list of conspirators needed to make the conspiracy work.

If these nutters get in power, and decide to destroy the evil conspiracy of bankers who own us all, they might arrest some top bankers and torture them to reveal the evil secrets of the Bavarian Illuminati.

Of course, under torture, the bankers will confess anything (remember Sheikh Khalid Mohammed? After the CIA waterboarded him 183 times he confessed to everything short of the Lincoln assassination. If half of what he confessed to is true, he was the most prolific terrorist of all time) which will confirm that this evil conspiracy exists, so there will be more arrests, more torture, more confessions...

Pretty soon they run out of bankers, but by then it's become clear that the Social Security clerks had to be in on the conspiracy, and the doctors and nurses at the maternity ward, the school teachers, the Boy Scout movement...

And they have **evidence** for all of this, signed confessions from the conspirators themselves.

It's all happened before.

--------------------

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2010 22:44      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:

The problem with most conspiracy theories is, the closer you look at the theory, the longer the list of conspirators needed to make the conspiracy work.

Which is also one of the main reasons most conspiracy theories are completely ridiculous. The more people that know a secret, the less likely it will remain one. One of the reasons for all those documents getting to Wikileaks is that there are more people with top secret clearance than ever. Massive conspiracies make for entertaining movies and books, but can't exist on that scale in the real world.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture