homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Apple :-( (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Apple :-(
Venture
Geek-in-Training
Member # 32021

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted June 24, 2010 07:55      Profile for Venture   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really want to love Apple as they make a fine product. But stunts like this continue to push me away.

Apple Sues HTC AGIAN

--------------------
~The world is a hologram; Subvert the dominant paradigm~

Posts: 35 | From: Summerville, SC | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2010 09:47      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is what companies do it seems.

It all seems a little pointless, but to be honest, I can't blame Apple.

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2010 10:10      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Venture, I do not know how much you know about Intellectual Property Laws. Copyright, Trademark, and Patients

____ You see a SUV with a Seven Bar grill and your first thought is its a Jeep, You know the shape of the first iMacs. Those by the way fall under trade dress.

____ Now you are paying people to be first to market with a new idea that you are keeping silent about, you file the correct documents, and six months later your competitor has a copy of your device out. If Apple wanted to follow, not lead they could but then they would be the also me too people.

____ Corporations have to protect their Intellectual Property, against any and all poachers.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Venture
Geek-in-Training
Member # 32021

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2010 13:46      Profile for Venture   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems that the majority of the "patent infringement" suits between the two are regarding the "multi-touch" feature. In Apples defense, the iPhone made this what it is. The way I see it though; They are all mobile phones or really mini computers with all the same features.

-phone calls
-color LCDs
-touch screens
-internet, email access
-etc, etc etc...

Where were the law suits for these features? I think the problem is that HTC is starting to take a percentage of iphone sales. Part of this is the fault of Apple as they are locked in a contract with AT&T where HTC is selling their Android phones all across the board. Then you have a major following of "open source" enthusiasts that favor Android.

I do not believe the "multi-touch" feature has much to do with HTC's recent sales numbers. I think the fact is that they too make a good product and are selling to a much larger market and this is upsetting Apple.

--------------------
~The world is a hologram; Subvert the dominant paradigm~

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2010 15:40      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Intellectual property rights, and protection. Sausage, you know the breakfast food. Sausage makers publish their recipe, and copyright them so that if a competitor comes close to their formula or recipe they can sue claiming infringement. Trademark and Trade Dress are other avenues that companies use to protect their own work.

____ In Europe the laws are different, and handled by Commerce Agents not lawyers. I held an active patient until the protection ran out, I did not renew as I had not had a sale or lease offer. Bosch tried to claim infringement, but the US filing was a month before the German filing by them, one of my proudest moments, I had beat a factory team to an idea.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2010 16:03      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan wrote:
Sausage makers publish their recipe, and copyright them so that if a competitor comes close to their formula or recipe they can sue claiming infringement.

That's not true.

If you publish a recipe, you own copyright to the specific expression of the directions and explanations, preventing anyone from reprinting it (at least not without rewriting it sufficiently). A list of ingredients cannot be copyrighted.

If you publish a recipe, anyone can do as they see fit with it so long as they don't reprint the directions and explanations without rewriting them. It's completely legal to make it, package it and sell it under your own own brand name complete with the required list of ingredients on the label. That's why there are generic versions of so many brand name items and why Coca-Cola, KFC and other companies keep their exact recipes secret.

Aside from that, if you're going to get upset at Apple for recent behavior, why not get upset over this rather than some patent lawsuit:

To provide location-based services on Apple products, Apple and our partners and licensees may collect, use, and share precise location data, including the real-time geographic location of your Apple computer or device. This location data is collected anonymously in a form that does not personally identify you ... Some location-based services offered by Apple, such as the MobileMe “Find My iPhone” feature, require your personal information for the feature to work..

So, all their partners need is an excuse for why they need personal identification to go along with your exact location. Hooray!

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2010 03:01      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Grumpy, you got me on the recipe, however at one time tobacco blenders, (pipe tobacco) would not reproduce a blend that was booked.

____ Now on to tracking in real time.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/06/24/96479/commentary-protect-cell-phone.html

http://blogs.forbes.com/firewall/2010/06/24/too-many-secrets-judge-says-almost-all-law-enforcement-phone-tracking-never-revealed/

____ Yesterday there were Senate hearings on the regular use by Police agencies to request Cell Phone tracking data.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2010 07:21      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a different apple topic, does anyone have pictures of exactly how one has to hold the phone to drop calls.

It is outside the realm of possibility that it would be convienient to hold the phone in such a way.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2010 07:46      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/06/wrongwayrightway.jpg

The antenna is, from what I can tell from stories online, located on the edge around the bottom left corner, which seems like a very stupid place to put it.

*edit*

A few more examples of doing it wrong
http://i.imgur.com/zAJ0y.jpg

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2010 09:44      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Antenna theory time. An antenna is two parts, the ground plane and the active radiator. Depending on how much the box designers know about RF devices, some designs just will not work. If the person holding the phone is gripping the ground plane performance will be enhanced, the converse is that gripping the actual radiator the signal will be shorted.

____ YMMV

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Venture
Geek-in-Training
Member # 32021

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2010 10:15      Profile for Venture   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget the AT&T coverage, or lack of. I can see though your map! ha
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2010 11:19      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Venture You don't know the half of it. Look at the maps from each of the Cell Phone companies. then try to find a company that serves all of Michigan. Most compaies up here will let you check out a loaner phone to see if it will work, where you live.

____ We travel a lot via car, motorcycle, or our motor-home, I wish Sat. Cell was not so expensive. Our experience shows that most of the superslabs have coverage, but get off the superslab and it is anyones guess.

____ Before Verizon bought Alltel we had excellent service all over the state. Then when Verizon started renegoting tower leases, almost all of the private tower owners did not sign up with Verizon. Those phones became paper weights.

____ UHF & SHF radio (Cell phones) are line of sight, so on uneven terrain the tower has to be at the high point, and you better not be down on the river. VHF will somewhat follow the terrain but not like HF. After 911 the Feds dictated that all police agencies have radios that were interoperable so all of us are paying for equipment that out in the boonies does not work as well as Cell Phones, up here the police agencies and the Sheriff still use their old VHF equipment, but must have by Fed. Dictate the new trunked system. Just more weight in the car.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2010 14:58      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My work upgraded our iPhones and mine came in today. First call was the first drop because I hold the phone wrong...

At least the screen is pretty.

And it has two cameras, so fair trade. Right???

Oh and the stories about the glass breaking is a bit disheartening too.

quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/06/wrongwayrightway.jpg

The antenna is, from what I can tell from stories online, located on the edge around the bottom left corner, which seems like a very stupid place to put it.

*edit*

A few more examples of doing it wrong
http://i.imgur.com/zAJ0y.jpg

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2010 15:44      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every now and then Apple has a design fail. Remember the circular mice? Looked cool on a desk but you'd have to be an alien for that to feel right in your hand. And now this. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2010 16:13      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes the iPuck mouse! I donated a pile of em to kids to play indoor hockey with!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2010 16:13      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'll be glad to know that there area already fanboys blaming the FCC for the iPhone's crappy antenna location.

Just about every cell phone in current production has the antenna located at the bottom. This insures that the radiating portion of the antenna is furthest from the head. Apple was not the first to locate the antenna on the bottom, and certainly won't be the last. The problem is that humans have their hands below their ears, so the most natural position for the hand is covering the antenna. This can't be a good design decision, can it? How can we be stuck with this conundrum? It's the FCC's fault.

Of course that ignores the fact that people don't seem to have to hold other phones in weird grips to avoid dropping calls, but I think he'd rather not get into that.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2010 16:30      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not very tempted to run all this past kreziserb just 'cuz cell phone transmitters and antennae are right up his alley just to see what he has to say.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2010 17:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2010 17:50      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2010 21:26      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We know it will drop calls.

But will it blend?

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2010 00:14      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I ran this whole thing past my resident engineer and his response was "What were they thinking?" and variations thereof. Apple's pointing their big fat finger in the wrong direction.

Where's the antenna in the previous generations of iPhones? You know, the ones that don't drop calls...

--------------------
- The Decemberists

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2010 01:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2010 04:49      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Where's the antenna in the previous generations of iPhones? You know, the ones that don't drop calls...

The antenna has always been in the bottom. In my original iPhone, I can make the signal strength go from five bars down to two by holding it in a certain way.

People have always complained about dropped calls on AT&T iPhones too. I've never had a dropped call on o2, and never known to hold the phone in a particular way.

Even if call performance is worse (which I doubt), the new design and features make it a big improvement over mine, so I'm saving up my pennies.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2010 06:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ You people are all a bunch of whiners Look up coverage from all the carriers and enter the zip code 48770 dropped calls here are the norm. A compleated full call no drops is rare we rejoice.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2010 06:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...well, just check Apple's past promotional materials to see the correct way to hold an iPhone:
http://www.reddit.com/r/gadgets/comments/cis4j/steve_jobs_tells_users_not_to_hold_the_iphone/c0suzn2

Oh wait...

(via /.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture