homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » I got published on Slate.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I got published on Slate.
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2010 00:12      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well sort of,... well actually barely. I had a question explained in the Explainer column. I had sent the following question(typos and all).

"Does one not have a rights (Such as miranda rights) regardsless of wether or not an authoratative figure ( the police) read them to you?"

...and it was published as this. Miranda rights, explainer

( They even sent me an email saying they will answer me so that is how I know it is my question.)

I am really happy that they answered. I was already 99.9% sure I was right on this and that I was asking a rhetorical question, but at the time I was so pissed that everyone was discussing whether or not to read suspects thier miranda rights, and it seemed most peopel didn't understand what the dicussion was really about, or how effective miranda rights are in shutting people up.

It all started from the POOP thread we had going. I have a RANT/post in there on the same topic.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2010 03:50      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's pretty cool, Ash.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2010 10:46      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool, Ash.

On the subject of Mirandizing, my understanding of the current situation is that the subtext is much more important than the simplistic "let's not read terr'ists their rights" chant we're hearing. In general, a statement you make prior to being read your rights is not admissible in a court of law. There are a few exceptions. What many people -- including the Attorney General, now -- want to do is create new exceptions to allow statements by non-Mirandized terrorists to be used in court.

I haven't seen anything to indicate where Obama stands on the issue, but I find it interesting that it has any traction at all in an administration that considered all similar Bush-era policies to be vile. Personally, the idea concerns me. I'm no flaming liberal, but this sort of power puts us on a slippery slope to abuse. How easy would it be to classify someone as a terrorist? I agree that we need to evolve our tools to fight extremism, but I don't think this is the way.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2010 23:54      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I now thanked at the end of the column!

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture