homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Oh POOP

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oh POOP
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2010 05:04      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Some nutter built a bomb, and the Mayor is crediting the police department, POOP if it had been constructed correctly they would not have been able to take it apart.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/05/02/times.square.closure/?hpt=T1

____ That Tee Shirt vendor was Lucky.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2010 05:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, how long before they install full body scanners in Times Square?

Actually, from what I remember of Times Square, that might be quite popular...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2010 06:20      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ TFD. I am thankful that they did not know, how to build a device that would have worked. My greatest fear is that someone will give or provide the nutters with good plans. I do know that a big propane bomb is considered a poor states Nuke.

____ Again "TheMoMan has fear." [Confused]

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2010 15:33      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know the Pakistan Taliban has claimed this one, but I'm not convinced.

1. It's not a suicide bombing.

2. The bombers have taken precautions to protect their identity, stolen plates, filed off the ID number on the vehicle.

3. The news is reporting a white guy was seen leaving the vehicle.

4. New York is the town American Nazis love to hate. It's full of Liberals and Jews and black folk.

I'm suspect some home-grown Teahadist has taken all that 'tree of Liberty/blood of tyrants' talk seriously.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2010 17:26      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We also have a history of lone nut jobs doing nutty things, like the guy who shot Reagan to impress jodie Foster.

I'll believe it's radical Muslims when a finger is actually pointing in their direction. Until then, I'll assume any group with the words Al Qaeda or Taliban in its name that's claiming credit is just looking for a cheap way to scare people.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2010 18:12      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Actually it is very hard to remove all traces of the VIN. When the WTC was bombed from the inside. the vin was retrieved by tracing the bar code from the rear axle, plus other parts. This time they have the whole car. The speedo, fuel tank, transmission, and power steering gear will all have date stamps on them. Then you go back through the build orders and figure out, what plant, line and shift, it was built. Then it is narrowed down to three or four. Start looking for the unaccounted one, run the VIN. Say mister we want to talk to you about your car. Date stamping is very important at parts plants, not for this purpose, but warranty claims. [Razz]

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2010 19:14      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NYPD: Video has possible SUV bomb suspect in alley

First five paragraphs:
quote:

Police investigating a terror attack that could have set off a deadly fireball in Times Square focused Sunday on finding a man who was videotaped shedding his shirt near the SUV where the bomb was found.

Police said the gasoline-and-propane bomb was crude but could have sprayed shrapnel and metal parts with enough force to kill pedestrians and knock out windows on one of America's busiest streets, full of Broadway theaters and restaurants on a Saturday night.

A large amount of fertilizer rigged with wires and fireworks were found with the bomb, but police said it was not the ammonium nitrate grade that can explode.

The surveillance video shows an unidentified white man in his 40s slipping down an alley and taking off a shirt, revealing another underneath. In the same clip, he's seen looking back in the direction of the smoking vehicle and furtively putting the first shirt in a bag, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said.
The homemade bomb was made largely with ordinary items, including three barbecue grill-size propane tanks, two 5-gallon gasoline containers, store-bought fireworks and cheap alarm clocks attached to wires.

"The intent of whoever did this to cause mayhem, create casualties," Kelly said.

Scratch Al Qaeda. It's a Tim McVeigh wannabe.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2010 20:38      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So we'll start racial profiling and round up all the 40 year old white men now, right?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2010 23:01      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They should all be registered. [evil]

--------------------
- The Decemberists

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2010 02:55      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah, 40 yo white man with a fertilizer bomb screams separatist militia (or Teahadist--that's a great word).

It's an older article, but I don't think it's less relevant: Federal agency warns of radicals on right

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2010 03:08      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Just seems too easy and neat.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jFOVhFy6si7fR4CQDL8xaOHVHbHwD9FFQQ1O0

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/05/04/new.york.car.bomb/?hpt=T1

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2010 14:07      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a bit confused. Why'd he even get himself naturalized if he has enough hate for the US to try and blow up Times Square?
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2010 14:46      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I'm a bit confused. Why'd he even get himself naturalized if he has enough hate for the US to try and blow up Times Square?

people change, perhaps a relative in Pakistan was killed, perhaps he did it because it was expected of him. it is too early to ask these sorts of questions

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2010 17:42      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Well one report stated that his house had been Foreclosed. That could shake some people into a different mental state.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2010 20:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the video of the 40 year old white guy, it didn't look all that incriminating to me. He didn't seem to be coming from the SUV, just changed his shirt near it. The 'furtive behaviour' was no more than you'd expect of a guy changing his shirt in a public place.

I'm a bit wary of the quick arrest. After the Glasgow airport bombing, authorities here in oz announced they'd caught one of the "terrorists" - after much fanfare, self congratulation, and outright lies by the aussie cops, it turned out he'd been arrested because his cousin's cousin was involved in the bombing.

--------------------

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2010 23:11      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like he's doing a lot of talking to the FBI. It'll be interesting to see how this shapes up.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2010 01:13      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Times article

Many people, important people (see article) are complaining that the Obama administration read the Miranda rights to the suspect ( Mr. Shahzad) too quickly. I am pissed

THIS SPREADS the completely false pretext that if you are not read your Miranda rights you do not have them. That is just idiotic. People have rights, such as Miranda rights and Habeus Corpus, just for being people on American soil. Just because the police didn’t tell him he has the right to remain silent, doesn’t mean he cannot remain silent if he wishes. He may; without consequence. (Plus, it seems he didn’t want to remain silent, after having been read his rights)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2010 03:39      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ You have to figure in the "Stupid Factor" these are the same people as the birthers and TeaBaggers. However you do not want statements thrown out because he was not Mirandaised. this guy may sing like a song bird. Why didn't he park the thing on Wall Street if he was angry with money matters?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2010 08:41      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What MoMan said. Don't feed the defense attorneys.

That said, I read he was singing before they read him his rights and he kept right on singing after.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 05, 2010 11:43      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka wrote:
Times article

Many people, important people (see article) are complaining that the Obama administration read the Miranda rights to the suspect ( Mr. Shahzad) too quickly. I am pissed

THIS SPREADS the completely false pretext that if you are not read your Miranda rights you do not have them.

That's not their real goal, however. The people who are complaining want the government to be able to declare anyone to be an enemy combatant (as long as they aren't white, that is) so that they can be arrested with no evidence, no procedure, no limits on how long they can be held and so forth.

I'd be willing to bet that they also show up at a Tea Party protests and don't grasp the irony in their screaming about how the government is too big and powerful, btw.

This bit from the article was interesting, though:
In a case of odd allies, Glenn Beck, the conservative Fox News commentator, said Mr. Shahzad was entitled to his rights. “He’s a citizen of the United States, so I say we uphold the laws and the Constitution on citizens,” Mr. Beck said. “He has all the rights under the Constitution. We don’t shred the Constitution when it’s popular.”

Glenn Beck actually said something sane and didn't side with the nut cases [Eek!]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2010 03:25      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Now thats SCARY.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2010 10:21      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a side note, I wonder what you would call someone who doesn't believe Obama is a US citizen and thinks taxes are too high? A teabirther? birthbagger?

More seriously, if this guy is really tied to a terror group, I wonder if the whole thing was a distraction. That's a scary thought. Maybe the real deal is coming while we watch the wrong hand.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2010 10:59      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Ugh, MightyClub, You have a very valid point, so far we have had A: The shoe bomber B: The underwear Bomber C: The Propane and fertilizer bomber. All have failed. Either their operatives are not good at doing the tasks at hand, or these are distractions.

____ I just pray that no one leaks out how to really buid a device, however do the ones in Iraq being more committed die in the fire ball and take the knowledge with them?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture