homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Another brilliant speech

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Another brilliant speech
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2010 20:04      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
by President Obama. An examination of the causes and consequences of the venom in US politics, it is of course eloquent, but more importantly it is just so thoughtful and wise.

I can count the professional politicians from my own lifetime that I admire on one hand. He's one of them.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2010 02:58      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Calli, The problem with most of American politics, it isn't until after they are gone and you have the new one that you realize the good ones. HST, DDE Jim Carter, RRR. These were truly the best of the best they thought of the Country first.

____ Now, go back to your link and read the comments, I would guess no one learned a thing. Probably that person/s did not want to think.

____ I try to remember that US Politics swings like a pendulem, I just hope that it does not become stuck on one side. I know that it cannot stay in the middle,

____ Now how do we turn down the volumne and the angry discourse?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted May 02, 2010 19:24      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked this one too.
President Obama Remarks at White House Correspondents' Dinner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP5k4n6Wnc4

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2010 21:32      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI: If you're in the States, the whole thing is on Hulu.
[Actually, Snaggy's link, and the corresponding Leno video are better - go figure. Just like the inauguration, the whitehouse.gov video is lacking. (In particular, all of Leno's featured footage is absent on Hulu.)]

Thanks, Snaggy, for the initial tip off.

And Cally...wow...that was a great read! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2010 23:54      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you get Obama to speak at comencement [thumbsup]

He uses the oppertunity, not to speak to the students, but to attack hs enemies. [thumbsdown]

He does a good job of it. [thumbsup]

p.s.

Really; Those students were not the intended audience for that speech, and he was tehre to speak to those students.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 04, 2010 03:34      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
He uses the oppertunity, not to speak to the students, but to attack hs enemies. [thumbsdown]

Really; Those students were not the intended audience for that speech, and he was tehre to speak to those students.

Funny Ash, but when it comes to politics, you and I always seem to see things from different ends of the telescope.

Any speech made by the POTUS is always going to be addressed to the wider world, as well as his immediate audience, but I think it was appropriate for that audience, because if there is to be a post partisan politics it must start from the grass roots up with a new generation. The meat of his speech is here when he asks

quote:
And now the question for your generation is this: how will you keep our democracy going? At a moment when our challenges seem so big and our politics seem so small, how will you keep our democracy alive and well in this century?
Then follows the section which you read as an attack on his enemies, but I don't see it that way, as he is very careful not to personalise it, or even prescribe policies. Rather he suggests the conditions that are necessary for informed and productive political debate. He posits that these should include civility, a press and media that can distinguish facts which are sacred, from opinion which is free, and an acknowledgement that not all government intervention is bad, indeed there are some necessities and some desirable things that government can make happen, that markets and individuals cannot. If this is amounts to an attack, that's too bad, but there's never going to be any dialogue while each side continues to live on separate planets.

He then concludes with a plea to the students not to let the current sulphurous atmosphere in US public life turn them off politics completely, and encourages them to involve themselves in the political process in whatever way they can, as the health of any democracy depends on the continued active involvement of all people of goodwill of every shade of opinion. As the saying goes, the price of liberty is eternal vigilance.

I see this as an inspiring but relatively uncontroversial message containing much common sense, that is highly applicable to an audience of people leaving the walls of academia, and beginning to engage with society and the wider world with all its complexity, difficulties and compromises.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 05, 2010 18:45      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Calli on this one. I think this was aimed pretty squarely at the students.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 06, 2010 01:56      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will concede that as a president speeches are ( as shold be) aimed at a much wider audience than that which is sitting in front of Him/Her.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture