homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » A 911 attack every 2 months

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A 911 attack every 2 months
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2009 02:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The September 11 attacks killed about 3,000 people.

That's how many Americans die every 2 months because they don't have health insurance.

If anyone suggested that a major terrorist attack every 2 months was not a problem, you might question their patriotism, and probably their sanity.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2009 04:51      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ The Famous Druid, That is something that I have to shamefully admit is the problem. GB, Canada, and you folks down under, have a great advantage over us in Health Care.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2009 05:04      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ The Famous Druid, That is something that I have to shamefully admit is the problem. GB, Canada, and you folks down under, have a great advantage over us in Health Care.

MoMan, I think you may have stumbled upon the solution.

Tell every Republican you know how worried you are about the growing 'health-care gap' between the USA and all them furrin countries.

If there's one thing that will convince Republicans to spend money, it's a dick-size competition with filthy furriners.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2009 06:42      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of European health care, how about them French:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/14/opinion/14iht-edcohen.html?em

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2009 12:49      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ The Famous Druid, now we have a solution, ask a Republican, how come we pay more for less than the furriners.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2009 13:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Speaking of European health care, how about them French:

America: beaten in the health-care race by a bunch of cheese-eating health-care monkeys.

Oh the shame.

--------------------

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2009 17:20      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I just had a thought earlier tonight (yeah, I was surprised as much as you are), in the devil's advocate vein. I've heard lots of talk that Americans pay more per-capita for health care than Europeans, with no better health to show for it. But I haven't heard any evidence that Americans and Europeans take equally good care of themselves. Obesity is a major problem here, but not so much in Europe as far as I know. So even with some kind of universal basic healthcare we'd still have the ancillary problems stemming from being overweight.

And another thing -- do the "per capita" calculations include all the nose jobs and other elective feel-good crap perpetrated by the Hollywood set?

I do still think we need a universal system here. I think both sides are guilty of hyperbole. I doubt universal healthcare will save us the money the left claims, but it certainly isn't going to decrease the quality of care as the right is complaining. In the end, it's just about providing a level playing field so all Americans can pursue their dreams with one less thing to stress about.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2009 21:35      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh...yes, a recent piece I read pointed out to the elephant in the room [ [Wink] ] - that instead of keeping people healthier in the first place via diet, we're treating the side effects of people gorging themselves.

Hey, Sarah, stick that in your pipe and smoke it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2009 04:06      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Well Corn syrup, and deep fat fried foods don't help our waist lines, but these six don't either.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jxRBOlclUhVsQ1jrOgqE-7B9C-cAD9AO8TO84

____ I am posting a quote from the article that pretty much sums it up.

The figures are based on data compiled by the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics, which studies political spending, and actually understate health-related contributions. The center's researchers include only some campaign donations from health insurers in the health category because they lump many health insurers' donations into a separate category for insurance, real estate and financial firms.

Even so, the data spotlight the financial clout health interests wield on Capitol Hill.

Corporate and individual contributions from the health sector to current officeholders have totaled $328 million over the past two decades. The leaders are Obama, with $20 million, mostly during his presidential run last year, and Sen. John McCain of Arizona, his GOP opponent, with $9 million.

Health insurers alone have donated at least $42 million to lawmakers, including nearly $2 million to the six senators working on the health legislation.

In the first six months of this year, health interests have made campaign contributions of $23 million. By comparison, the biggest 2009 donors so far — finance, real estate and insurance interests — have given $50 million.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2009 16:09      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On another health issue, the number of smoking-related deaths in the U.S. is equivalent to a 9/11 attack every three days... How's the war on smoking going?
Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture