homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Um Yeah, let's ban the President of the Untied States from our children (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Um Yeah, let's ban the President of the Untied States from our children
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 13 posted September 06, 2009 11:57      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's up with the Flag-Waving Americans that don't want their president talking to the youth of America? These are the same people that were calling anyone that didn't wear a U.S. flag pin an anti-American communist! George Bush Sr. did the same thing, yet I don't recall protests over it.

Many conservatives enraged over Obama school speech [shake head]

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2009 12:00      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A former school mate wrote this letter to her school district in the Chicago area and is encouraging people to write them a letter at: [email protected] it can be as simple as "Dear District 200 board members. I am extremely disappointed by your decision to not broadcast President Obama's address to the children in your district."

Here is her letter:

"As the mother to a Pleasant Hill child, I am writing to express my concern and disappointment at District 200's decision to ban President Obama's planned educational message to school children, under the thinly veiled guise of concerns for not being able to preview the contents of the speech.

In these times of political turmoil, it is more important than ever to come to a place of peace between the parties. Education, the eradication of ignorance, the important message of staying in school and participating in our government to create a future we can ALL be proud of, should be common ground and a place to come together. Unfortunately, some political factions have chosen have chosen to use this as a platform for spreading lies and derisiveness and disrespect for the leaders of our country. I am saddened that District 200 has decided to participate in this fiasco and has become a political pawn. I am also saddened that my daughter and her peers will be denied an educational opportunity that could encourage them to be excited about learning, and is a direct bipartisan message to THEM from the President of the United States. Consequently, I will be taking her home to watch the speech.

We had a unique opportunity this last election, to witness our children's excitement about the election process. I have never witnessed so many children so curious and involved in politics and I think this participation in government is an important and empowering lesson for them. Unfortunately, the door is being slammed in their faces once again and it dismays me that an educational institution would participate in the silencing of a generation.

While I applaud your decision to make several DVD copies of the speech available (to a district that contains 20 schools), I am disappointed in your choice to unilaterally ban the speech from it's intended audience. Education banishes ignorance. Censorship fosters it."

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2009 14:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's one of the Things Only A Republican Could Believe.

quote:
Parents who don't want their children to pray in school are Anti-American zealots --
parents who don't want their children to listen to a speech by the President of the United States telling them to work hard and get good grades are noble patriots.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2009 15:15      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least one school superintendant still has a spine

*edit*
Fixed

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2009 15:58      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
At least one school superintendant still has a spine

Can't access, this is a facebook link.
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2009 16:20      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bibo wrote:
Can't access, this is a facebook link.

I fixed it, but the URL is right there on the facebook page. Even without javascript to allow the "continue" button to redirect you, the URL can be copied and pasted.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2009 18:19      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I imagine it's one of two things:
1. Firewall policy prohibiting Fb access.
2. Curmudgeon-like sentiments about Fb that are not unlike mine, though I've come to grips with it. I just don't actually use it, but I wouldn't be averse to such a link...though I would consider it utterly pointless given that it links to a /real/ site outside the Facebook Gardens.

[Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 06, 2009 18:20      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why it's important to get a good education

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2009 23:55      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
comment edited, sorry to any conservatives.

quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
yet I don't recall protests over it.

niether do I , but according to the NYT[a],at least a few democrats did protest thier own president back when GB senior did this. The more things change teh more tehy stay the same I guess.

[a]NYT

quote:
The first President George Bush, a Republican, made a similar nationally broadcast speech from a Washington high school in 1991, urging students to study hard, avoid drugs and to ignore peers “who think it’s not cool to be smart.” Democrats in Congress accused him of using taxpayer money — $27,000 to produce the broadcast — for “paid political advertising.”

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted September 07, 2009 09:58      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The text of the speech that's going to brainwash your kids and turn then into communists in less than half an hour

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2009 15:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
from TFA:
my family lived in Indonesia for a few years, and my mother didn’t have the money to send me where all the American kids went to school.

Oooh!

What a giveaway!

If he really was American, he's have said "all the other American kids" !

Proof of The International Irish-French-Catholic Sodomite Conspiracy!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2009 15:45      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
comment edited, sorry to any conservatives.

quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
[qb] yet I don't recall protests over it.

niether do I , but according to the NYT[a],at least a few democrats did protest thier own president back when GB senior did this. The more things change teh more tehy stay the same I guess.

A plague on both your houses eh? What are you smoking Ash? There is a world of difference between raising a matter like this in debate in the normal democratic channels and inciting a campaign of civil disobedience. It is very definitely not a case of "same old, same old". A large part of the body politic of the most powerful nation on earth has become certifiably insane and will not accept as legitimate any elected government of the other party.

That is not normal.

If there was normal politics in the US, you might be debating why why the world economy almost fell into a black hole last year, or how are we going to get to any stable political solution in Afghanistan, or US healthcare reform. Those are real problems, requiring real solutions. Instead we are here discussing more nutty right wing political stunts, whose overarching aim is to undermine the power and authority of the president and his administration. Indeed I am pretty sure they would rather see the Obama administration completely paralysed and ineffective, than actually have any of those real world problems solved.

It's crass and utterly despicable politics, and not a game that the Democratic Party, with all its other manifest failings, has ever played.

PS Insane is not too strong a word. See this on the Time magazine blog, and then try reading some of the comments in response, (but not too many - it'll just depress you).

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2009 17:39      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in Tennessee we gave out forms for the parents to sign whether or not they wanted their child to watch it or not. I can not even tell you how many parents are keeping their children out of school because of this. I can not express my opinion at all because I work for the school system, but this whole thing is making me sick! If your boss gives you a job you don't wanna do, do you just not go to work that day??? What are parents teaching their children???
Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2009 17:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
A large part of the body politic of the most powerful nation on earth has become certifiably insane

This is the worrying thing.

By courting the lunatic fringe, the Republicans risk becoming a party that decent, thinking conservatives are embarrassed to associate with, so they drift away, and the party drifts ever-further from reality.

That's not good for the Republican Party, it's not good for American Democracy (because governing parties get stupid and lazy when there is no credible alternative government waiting in the wings) and it's not good for the world.

The nightmare scenario is a Republican Party that spends the next 3 or 4 terms dreaming up ever-more-fanciful paranoid conspiracy theories, choosing its candidates by how loudly they can shout these theories on Fox News, and how big a gun they take to Presidential appearances. Then the US president gets caught with his hand in the till (or his dick somewhere it shouldn't be), and the Raving Monster Loony Party† gets elected, and sets about bulldozing the world flat, because 'the world is flat' is party policy.

*shudder*

† - Note for merkins: the real Raving Monster Loony Party looks positively sensible compared to the noisy right in America.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2009 21:25      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has really gone too far.

Callipygous largely nailed it with: "There is a world of difference between raising a matter like this in debate in the normal democratic channels and inciting a campaign of civil disobedience."

Seriously...WTF?

The President of the United States of America plans on speaking about the importance of education to students...in schools that receive federal funding. He damn well deserves to address them. Much as I dislike the man, I would even say the same of GWB (back when he was POTUS). Public television comes to a standstill for Presidential speeches, as well as debates...why is this any different? Those run during primetime television hours...when there are surely more than a few school children about. Shall we begin to apply parental guidance ratings to these speeches?

I read the speech this evening - 'twas a very good message that ought to be listened to by our country's students, as well as their parents. And while I hate to even address it, there is nothing *remotely* political in that speech. It's purely motivational - intended to get kids to apply themselves.

Some people around this country need to take the tin foil hats off. :/
(I'd also agree with some commentary I've seen elsewhere that suggest this reaction appears to be closet racism.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2009 22:33      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update from my friend: "District 200, while not showing the speech at its given time, has at least agreed to tape and broadcast the President's address to ALL students on Wednesday. Thank you for your letters and support. You made all the difference!"
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2009 01:25      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Some people around this country need to take the tin foil hats off. :/
(I'd also agree with some commentary I've seen elsewhere that suggest this reaction appears to be closet racism.)

It is true that in Texas, (and I would guess elsewhere in the South), the Republicans are unashamed of the racism of some of their supporters. Nevertheless I think racism has only a minor and very peripheral bearing on this. Remember how they said that the Clintons were drug dealers, who shot their friend Vince Foster, and how Kerry's war record was a fraud. It's all the same pattern.

It's not the tin foil hat brigade that disgust me, there will always be gullible, stupid or paranoid individuals. It is those Republicans intelligent enough to know how absurd this is, but who support this either actively or just tacitly. What will their reaction be when (and I do say when, not if) one of these paranoid gun toting individuals stoked up by all this, deems it his patriotic duty to make the world a safer place, by removing Obama from it? Will they take responsibility, or will they blame Obama's "extremism"? They seem to be following the advice of a notable right wing tactician, one Herr Schicklgruber, who observed
quote:
What luck for the rulers that men do not think.
and
quote:
The primitive simplicity of their minds renders them a more easy prey to a big lie than a small one.
And yes I include you, the Republican supporters in this forum. Aren't any of you, at the very least, embarrassed by all this?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted September 08, 2009 10:01      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked this one...

-

Cartoon by John Cole
http://www.cagle.com/politicalcartoons/pccartoons/archives/cole.asp

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2009 10:45      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Snaggy

____ I have watched this fiasco unfold since the election, "how hard is it to become a Canadian?" I have watcheed these clowns and they are convinced that they are doing the correct thing. Even to the point of quoting Scripture to prove their point. Sometimes it makes me sad that I was born here.

____ I read that there is more diversity in an ethnic group than there is between groups. Kind tips things for the bigots doesn't it.

____ Anyway how does one become a Canadian?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted September 08, 2009 11:37      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moman... here's some links...
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_difficult_for_US_citizens_to_relocate_and_seek_employment_in_Canada

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/712412.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070119132206AAkS7Fm

Here's the welcome page, lots of info there too.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/

I know several Yanks who have done that, but I'm not sure the specifics of their move... one opened a fancy bed and breakfast so must have had money, the other was a tech guy/programmer, may have been self employed.

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted September 08, 2009 11:38      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

There, you should get all the answers you need, right from the horse's mouth. (Of course, the horse can change its mind whenever it feels so, but...) [Big Grin]

Edit: I see that Snaggy has also provided a few links, but here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/business/self-employed/index.asp is even more interesting for you. You own a farm, right? Would you be ready to own a farm in Canada?

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2009 11:38      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Anyway how does one become a Canadian?

I wouldn't bother if I were you. The only entertainment up here is watching American politics on the TV. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2009 14:52      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Anyway how does one become a Canadian?

There's an ancient ritual, but since the UN outlawed 'certain practices involving moose' it has to be performed in secret. Best to just turn up in Canada and ask around some of the seedier bars.

Don't forget to bring your fishnet stockings.

--------------------

Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2009 16:05      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say that I saw the speech and then read it, too.

Wow! I can see why that speech made a lot of conservatives very nervous!

The president talked about hard work, responsibility, and growing up in bad neighborhoods and overcoming hardship. That sure doesn't sound like stealing pension funds and running Enron does it?

He talked about success that comes from hard work and trying hard and not giving up on your dreams. He mentioned how JK Rowling's first Harry Potter book got rejected 12 times, and look at her now!

Boy. Those sure don't resemble the Republican values I've seen on TV or read in the newspapers.

I'm sure the conservatives are very proud of their protests now, because I don't think they want to have anything to do with the values the President is encouraging.

What do you think?

Mr. Geek 2U

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 08, 2009 17:32      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geekygoddess:
Here in Tennessee ... ... I can not express my opinion at all because I work for the school system ... ... What are parents teaching their children???

Hello Ms. geekygoddess!

I am Mr. Geek 2u.

I don't know a lot about Tennessee, but I do know that teachers there better not monkey around with the school board! They do not tolerate a lot of monkey business in Tennessee!

Have a great day!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture