homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » The Disgrace of Geek Culture (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Disgrace of Geek Culture
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2008 22:05      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2008 23:25      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My comments are no longer required since CP's edit.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted October 21, 2008 23:35      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
unbelievable. [shake head]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted October 21, 2008 23:48      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Comment terminated based on CP's edit.

We now return to are regularly scheduled program!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2008 23:57      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WTF is right! [Confused]
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2008 02:55      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edit\ You are the genuine kind and witty individual we have seen here in the past.

Try to avoid posting after the third bottle! [Wink]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2008 03:49      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________- Geography __ CP is angry, I can tell you why some people on these forums have and are using HATE SPEACH!! Skylar was deeply insulted, others have been. Plicada was banned for less than some here have posted.

I mentioned Geography for a reason, Here in Michigan there are more pickup trucks with the Stars & Bars than you would find in three southern states, Michigan is huge with hate, it is every where, Rep J. Murtha's comments could and would apply to much of Michigan. Michigan is probably one of the most segregated states in the country, with the distrust and backstabbing of hate speech. There are Poles, Greeks, Scots, Welsh, Dutch, Germans, French, Irish, People from the Bohemian States and many of Arabic extraction. Where am I going with this, they all distrust each other, despise each other. The problems of HATE SPEECH is that it is HATE SPEECH, here in Michigan we know it when we hear it.

I for one do not mind apposing views on politics, and the right and the left are needed, but can we not contain the HATE. Free speech is not yelling fire in a theater, but voicing an opinion, with out name calling

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2008 03:57      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We all have bad days C.P.

My comments are no longer required either:)

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2008 14:43      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
????

What's going on here?

Did the Kernel's post become a self-fulfilling manifestation of the thread title?

Enquiring minds, ya' know...

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2008 15:05      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
If you were not clearly out of control Colonel, you would be worse than the lowlifes you despise so much. Your belief that you have a license to excoriate your enemies with acid drenched posts, while demanding not just a respectful, but positively reverent attitude from the rest of us, is so far beyond unrealistic, even from the most solipsistic egotist, that I do not despise you for it, but quite sincerely fear for your mental health.

On the assumption that you are the genuine kind and witty individual we have seen here in the past, please do go and see your doctor.

<OT>

Calli, who ARE you? There are so many words in this post that I never hear in daily life nor would think to use (and I use some pretty big/obscure words sometimes). Would you please explain your choice of words and how you accumulated such a diverse working vocabulary?

</OT>

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2008 18:29      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
<OT>

Calli, who ARE you? There are so many words in this post that I never hear in daily life nor would think to use (and I use some pretty big/obscure words sometimes). Would you please explain your choice of words and how you accumulated such a diverse working vocabulary?

</OT>

Hello everyone, it's another edition of Grammer Nazi Funtime with me and Rhonnie in the dictionary corner.

Rhonnie I honestly did not intend to confuse, and don't think I was trying to show off. I am a fairly ordinary person, and I don't work with words for a living. I did not go to university, and though I enjoy reading, I would not even call myself an autodidact, as that implies great knowledge and a voracious (and perhaps organised) reading habit, neither of which do I possess. I suppose I must just have the kind of mind that, when wandering through prose, words stick to, rather like burrs stick to your clothes as you walk through grass. I probably enjoy words as much or more for the sensual pleasure of their sounds, as for any intellectual delight in their meaning. I admire beautiful prose like that of F. Scott Fitzgerald, or Lytton Strachey (to pick two names at random) more than I can say, and the King James Bible even more than that.

As for the post, I don't think that "excoriate" is an obscure word. I like it because it has quite a scratchy violent sound which both reflects its meaning and contrasts with its formal Latinate construction. Words like this, that you can enjoy as you roll them around your mouth, stick in the mind too.

The only word I can see that is not in every day use is "solipsistic". I see from Wikipedia that solipsism has a particular meaning in philsophy, that frankly I was unaware of. I remembered it however because in its more general use, it describes precisely a particular state of emotional arrested development, where a person though not malevolent, or even mean, has no empathy with the feelings of others. It is a form of selfishness that cannot recognise itself. It is the emotional development state of most little children, before their emotional life starts to extend outside the immediate family. In literature perhaps the best portrait of this character type is Rosamund Vincey in "Middlemarch", the vacuous, pretty, and self obsessed girl who without realising it, quite casually destroys the life of the idealistic and honourable but weak Dr Lidgate, all the while thinking of herself as a good person and completely unaware of the damage she is doing. It is a character trait often associated with that kind of very pretty girl, the "princess" who is so used to men always falling over themselves to please her, that she imagines that this is just the natural state of affairs, that everyone is there simply for her convenience, but who nonetheless would be very affronted to hear herself described as selfish. That anyway is how I understand the word, and you could quite rightly criticise the phrase "solipsistic egotist" for redundancy. The meanings of the two words overlap, so I should have made my mind up, and chosen one or the other.

--------------------

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2008 18:59      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I read this thread too late.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2008 19:22      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Calli. You didn't go to university?! You're MUCH better spoken and so much more insightful than most post-grads I've met. I really admire the fact that you use words well, but especially because you know what they mean.

I hear you on the sound of words. There are certain words I don't like to use because of their sound. I can't explain it, but they just grate on my nerves. I always thought it was related to OCD, so it's great to hear I'm not alone in that!

"Excoriate." I'm definitely going to remember that one.

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2008 04:00      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just a side note:

having , or not having attended a university really doesn't make or break one's vocabulary. It is how much one reads. I think people who have spent more time at a university than me would qualify this statement.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2008 11:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus, of course, Calli is English.
They invented the language, and value fluency in it more than we filthy furriners.

Who else but the English would have given the world such gems as My Word! - sadly cancelled years ago, but still enjoying an active after-life on aussie radio.

One of the nice things (ok, the only nice thing IMHO) about the English Conservatives is that they haven't succumbed to the anti-intellectualism that has infected conservatives in the USA and Australia. English Tories still value education, (as long as you went to the right school of course) and like to show off their Oxbridge accents and mastery of the language. I used to marvel at how eloquently they expressed the total drivel that passed for policy during the dying years of the John Major government.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2008 13:45      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like I missed something good. Hope all is well, CP.

Words are funny things. I find that when I stop reading actual books my ability to readily pick a solid word is diminished. However, once I begin to read actual books (and it doesn't really seem to matter the type, whether "Classic", Stephen King, Sci-Fi, etc) I feel much better able to handle speech that consists of more than one syllable words strung together into something that approaches real sentences. After sum book larnin' I's get good at speech agin.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2008 14:55      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
originally posted by TFD:
English Tories still value education, (as long as you went to the right school of course) and like to show off their Oxbridge accents and mastery of the language.

You're surely not suggesting that the only section of English society that 1) values education and 2) is capable of stringing a coherent sentence together is the tories???? [Confused] Or is it that you know Calli to be an Oxbridge toff?

Anyway, to the more serious point here. I know that whilst everyone who posts here does so in English, the majority of posters are probably not English and therefore we should expect a wide variety of styles and modes of expression. This is only right and proper.

However, what saddens me is that we have reached a point where Calli's own style of writing is considered by any English speaker to be unusual or "difficult". I wouldn't expect Calli and Rhonnie to sound the same or to write in the same manner, and I am certainly not suggesting that because Rhonnie finds Calli's style a little opaque that that is in any way a failing on Rhonnie's part.

What is lamentable is the very fact that it is no longer common to find someone, even among native English speakers, who knows how to produce written English of the standard of Callipygous's, which is to say precise, elegant, and measured in both tone and pace. I enjoy reading Calli's posts even if the subject is of no interest to me, simply because they are so well-written.

Incidentally, it is worth mentioning the idea that a person does not have to be born in England to be able to produce fine English - Stephen Jay Gould is (was) one of those individuals whose books can be read for the pleasure of the language alone - that fact that the content is riveting makes them all the more valuable.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2008 16:11      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't find Calli's prose to be opaque, Grummy. Rather, I think it's beautiful, and it's so uncommon in my daily experience that I just finally had to express my appreciation for it. [Applause]

--------------------

Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2008 16:43      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I have to admit that I enjoy Calli's use of words as well, and don't think they obscure his meaning at all. It seems obvious to me that he enjoys using words to give precise shading to what he means, unlike those who use large words in ways intended to obscure meaning.

I also enjoy words, but while my working vocabulary is quite large when it comes to recognition, I can't necessarily recall them when writing. I confess to making heavy use of the dictionary add-on for Firefox, in order to check if I remember the full meaning of a word, or search the thesaurus when I can't quite bring to mind the exact one I'm looking for.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2008 17:07      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well enough of all this politics, let's just talk about me! [Big Grin]

Actually I'm getting rather embarrassed now, but just to set things straight, yes I'm English, from a secure Home Counties middle class background, my father was a very successful accountant, a senior partner in one of the big international firms, and I went to a prestigious private school, where like many others I was very unhappy, so to that point I match the Druid's stereotype, but my education stopped at 18, as I did badly at "A" levels. I have always been a very slow reader and writer, which was part of the reason for my academic underachievement, so probably read less than many others of you here. Indeed most of my reading other than newspapers in the last 15 years or so has been the bedtime stories I have read aloud to my children. I am not a committed supporter of any political party.

However I do believe that it is very hard to think with any clarity, unless you try to use language accurately too, even though at times words seem to be quite blunt instruments. I also have the traditional Anglo Saxon distrust of intellectuals, and don't put much faith in any idea that cannot be expressed and examined using simple clear everyday language. If something is troubling or confusing me, I sometimes try to write about it to clear my head, to discover what I think. Orwell's famous essay "Politics and the English Language" describes the ideal that I hope to aspire to. In language, as in most other things, simplicity is usually best. It is also quite annoyingly difficult. [Mad] [crazy]

--------------------

snupy
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 23, 2008 18:06      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rhonnie, I used to think of myself as pretty word-savvy, but I've never heard excoriate or solipsistic either!

I also enjoy Cali's writing.

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted October 23, 2008 20:39      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must ... resist ... temptation ... to ... excoriate ... Snupy ... about ... never ... having ... heard ... excoriate.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2008 00:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
You're surely not suggesting that the only section of English society that 1) values education and 2) is capable of stringing a coherent sentence together is the tories???? [Confused]

No, it was more a comment on conservatives in the USA and oz, who have become quite feral in recent years in their hostility towards 'intellectual elites'.

I did admire the beautifully crafted sentences some tory politicians used to disguise their crap policies though.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2008 12:04      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
Must ... resist ... temptation ... to ... excoriate ... Snupy ... about ... never ... having ... heard ... excoriate.

That's it. I've had it. I'm reporting you! [devil wand]

[Wink]

--------------------

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2008 12:12      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
That's it. I've had it. I'm reporting you!

That outrageous!!! I'm reporting YOU!! [Razz] [Big Grin]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture