homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » How Canada stole the American Dream

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How Canada stole the American Dream
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 30, 2008 08:12      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The numbers are in. Compared to the U.S., we work less, live longer, enjoy better health and have more sex. And get this: now we're wealthier too.

http://www.macleans.ca/canada/national/article.jsp?content=20080625_50113_50113

Bah! Health, sex, maple trees, and money are over-rated. I want a cheap iPhone plan, and Obama as Prime Minister. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2008 08:49      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect you'd be able to get Obama as a prime minister before you'd be able to get a cheap iPhone plan [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 30, 2008 12:42      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canada has replaced USA as the main destination for migration here. I even have a grandma, an aunt and three cousins living there.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Night Q. Hand
Geek-in-Training
Member # 19080

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2008 05:00      Profile for Night Q. Hand   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I would decide to move to North Armerica (and I have given this some thought, although it's more something like a retirement plan) I probably would move to Canada instead of the USA though I don't have any clear reason for that yet^^

--------------------
Human intelligence has a limit, for some it's higher, for some lower (J. Heinzelmann)

Posts: 31 | From: Münsingen, Germany | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2008 06:27      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THANK YOU BUSH,

You destroyed your own country, but made us Canadians look awesome.

I want to know which country though overall works the least, lives the longest, is wealthy, and has the most sex?

But . . . In the end, what we wouldn't do to get Obama as prime minister.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2008 06:46      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent news! Now my plans to move to BC next year are even more justified [Big Grin]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted July 01, 2008 07:29      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by skylar:
Excellent news! Now my plans to move to BC next year are even more justified [Big Grin]

Hey cool skylar! If you need any advice, tips, warnings, just ask.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2008 08:27      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Snaggy! [Smile] Will definitely take you up on that as I no doubt run into things that need to be addressed straight from the horse's mouth. [thumbsup]
Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2008 13:54      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aussies live even longer (the sharks here don't kill as many as the moose in Canada).

True story: a few years ago, I was in the tram coming home from work one July afternoon, eavesdropping on the conversation of the people sitting opposite...

quote:

Aussie: So, are you looking forward to going home to Canada?
Canadian: Are you joking??? (points out window at people frolicking in the park in the winter sunshine) This is what you guys call Winter! I never want to go back to Canada!

And as for the sex life, well, we have more sheep than people. 'Nuf said.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2008 17:19      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
apparently canadian strippers can do tricks with quarters, too.
Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2008 18:10      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not that Canada is really getting wealthier, it's more like the Mason-Dixon line has moved north.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 01, 2008 18:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could move to Denmark

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2008 05:01      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

I think peace has little to do with their happiness -- the real reason is their awesome bacon!

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2008 07:23      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:

I think peace has little to do with their happiness -- the real reason is their awesome bacon!
Nah, it can't be the bacon... you get that in the UK and we're miserable f*ckers. I reckon it's because Sandi Toksvig emigrated.
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2008 08:05      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:

Nah, it can't be the bacon... you get that in the UK and we're miserable f*ckers. I reckon it's because Sandi Toksvig emigrated.
Mmm. I've always had a thing about her... (but then she is female...)

"I think she's lovely and pretty, just like a young girlie should be." </Neil's Dad from the Young Ones>

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
iNoles
Mini Geek
Member # 5685

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2008 13:02      Profile for iNoles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am fail to see how US is the world championship?

The US doesn't have the "dream team" anymore. The US basketball team is a bunch of ball hogs. Also, the US soccer team never win the world cup.

Now, the tide is just reversed by thanking Bush to made another country wealthier.

Posts: 57 | From: Melbourne, Florida | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 02, 2008 13:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iNoles:
I am fail to see how US is the world championship?

Ah, but you see, that is The American Dream.

--------------------

Night Q. Hand
Geek-in-Training
Member # 19080

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2008 03:11      Profile for Night Q. Hand   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, now I remember a reason for moving to Canada: I like your national anthem [thumbsup] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Human intelligence has a limit, for some it's higher, for some lower (J. Heinzelmann)

Posts: 31 | From: Münsingen, Germany | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture