homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Kucinich calls for Bush impeachment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kucinich calls for Bush impeachment
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2008 15:16      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else see this? Here's a link to the video:

http://www.examiner.com/x-243-Progressive-Politics-Examiner~y2008m6d9-Kucinich-Introduces-Articles-of-Impeachment

My only question is: what took so long?

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2008 15:32      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a pity that we've had to put up with his "leadership" for this long. I agree with you tweety. This is years late. [shake head] I still think it should happen if for no other reason than to try to get some dignity back for America.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2008 15:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's good to see there's one of them that's not a complete waste of skin.

It won't go anywhere though, too close to the election for this sort of thing, as CrawGator and Tweety said, it should have been done years ago.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2008 18:50      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
+1 to that. There was enough evidence to impeach Bush years ago. Maybe he could have fought off a conviction, but his offenses were easily great enough to warrant censure.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2008 20:59      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing I don't get is that with Clinton, Congress went for the jugular over some stupid affair. Who cared? Really, did it matter then or now how Bill likes his cigars? Do I really care if the Prez is getting it on with someone on the desk in the Oval Office? As long as matters of State are properly attended to, no biggie. Then, of course, you get Bush, who lied, manipulated, and all around abused the powers of the Presidency of the US. And what do the Dems do? Pussy-foot around. As usual.

For all his faults at least GWB has balls. Can't say that for any of the Democratic leadership.

Also, fine, I totally and completely accept the war in Afghanistan. And, let's all be honest here, Hussein really did need to be cut loose. Twelve years of flipping the world the bird is way too long. I might be liberal (in the real meaning of the word, not the hijacked meaning the Dems give), but I'm always up for a good, deserved bombing. I don't get the need for lying, though, or manipulating facts.

Frankly, I don't care if he's only got 6 more months. Throw the bum out, along with Congress. The Supreme Court can stay.

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2008 21:15      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny you should mention the Supreme Court. The next president will probably be the one to appoint two justices in the next four years. This is really critical too because both who would be replaced are liberals. A republican president could change the face of the judiciary branch of the government during the next four years, whereas a democrat would keep the status quo.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2008 00:24      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kucinich may have taken the four hours to do this but it doesn't really matter. The item is tabled. It will never even be voted on. Everybody knew this before Kucinich brought the item to the floor. That means this was just a reelection stunt for Kucinich. I good one, but it is just political theater.

ps

I really wanted a first lady with a tognue stud.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
chromatic
Geek
Member # 164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2008 08:59      Profile for chromatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tweety:
The thing I don't get is that with Clinton, Congress went for the jugular over some stupid affair.

You mean perjury.
Posts: 223 | From: Squeaky First Geek House | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2008 09:44      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice gesture, but too little... too late... it's pretty safe, and a little pathetic, to bring this up well into a lame duck's president's final term. Oh well.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2008 11:56      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chromatic:
You mean perjury.

No, I mean some stupid affair. The only reason Clinton lied, or stretched/bent/twisted/whatever the truth, is because Congress went for the jugular on some stupid affair.

Meanwhile, the Bush administration has created serious world wide problems over lies. Why Congress hasn't taken the current President to task prior to Bush's farewell lap is way beyond me. Talk of, at the very least, high ranking officials within the Bush administration flat out lying/twisting/stretching/bending the truth have been floating about since at least 2004.

But, wait, I'm sorry. I forgot that somehow sticking a cigar up some interns vagina and then trying to cover it up was a bigger threat to our nation and national security than outing a CIA operative, or, say, starting a war in an already excessively tense region (where love of the US was already pretty non-existent) based on false information and pretenses.

But, hey, I could be wrong about all this, and yes, perjury and affairs with interns are much bigger deals than what Pres. Bush and his administration have engaged in.

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2008 12:57      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tweety wrote:
But, hey, I could be wrong about all this, and yes, perjury and affairs with interns are much bigger deals than what Pres. Bush and his administration have engaged in.

Of course you're wrong. You have to remember that the US is sexually disfunctional and loves violence. You can graphically butcher people on TV, but you can't show a woman's nipple.

Lying about an affair with an intern is clearly a much bigger deal than lying to start an unjustified war that kills thousands.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
chromatic
Geek
Member # 164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2008 07:08      Profile for chromatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tweety:
[QUOTE]he only reason Clinton lied, or stretched/bent/twisted/whatever the truth, is because Congress went for the jugular on some stupid affair.

You're neglecting Hillary Clinton's claims of executive privilege over papers material to the travel office and Whitewater investigations.

(I'm also not sure what Congress is supposed to do when it summons a witness under oath to testify in a Congressional investigation -- roll over for the Imperial President?)

quote:
Did I say that? (Hint: No.)

You're making a false comparison here. I don't have to agree with any action of the Bush administration to say that there are far more nuances in the Clinton case than you're allowing.

Posts: 223 | From: Squeaky First Geek House | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2008 10:11      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chromatic – I completely understand your point and completely agree. You seem to have missed mine. Which is simply this: Congress during the Clinton administration was quite happy to run through the impeachment process over matters that did not affect our world standing and national security to extent of the Bush administration's actions. However, with Bush, only now at the extreme tail end of his second (and last) term, has anything even approaching impeachment been broached. IMO, it's exceptionally hypocritical, and just goes to show that the Dems have no balls.

Meanwhile, as our fearless leaders have once again failed the American people, we, the public and citizenry are left paying the price, in so many different ways.

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2008 14:10      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a good reason NOT to impeach Bush. The name is Dick Cheney.

Also, after Clinton impeachment lost its cache.

Wait until after he's out of office and there is a democrat in office -- then there will be nobody to pardon him and he can rot in jail.

Believe me, this is a very serious discussion in high places.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2008 14:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
There is a good reason NOT to impeach Bush. The name is Dick Cheney...

..Wait until after he's out of office and there is a democrat in office -- then there will be nobody to pardon him and he can rot in jail.

Don't count on it.

Remember Nixon?

Ford gave him a nice parting gift - a blanket pardon for all the crimes "he might have committed".
I'm predicting there'll be a lot of pardons handed out between the election and the inauguration.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
chromatic
Geek
Member # 164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2008 06:14      Profile for chromatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
Wait until after he's out of office and there is a democrat in office -- then there will be nobody to pardon him and he can rot in jail.

I don't buy it. Who's going to bring Congress to justice for not doing its jobs these past seven years? For all of the high talk about war powers and imperial presidents, there are far too few exercises of checks and balances from the Hill.
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2008 18:08      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chromatic:
For all of the high talk about war powers and imperial presidents, there are far too few exercises of checks and balances from the Hill.

Read, and study, your US history. This is nothing new. Each branch of the Fed has at one point or another exercised more de facto power than the other two branches (even the Supreme Court at one point). Power imbalances are a natural effect of various aspects of American culture and politics, including public opinion/consent. Heated, nasty, low–down and dirty mudslinging, whether as part of public discourse or campaigns, is also a part of our DNA. So, don't worry, the checks and balances of our Federal Government are working according to historical trends. It's the American public that ultimately calls the shots. And, I'm sorry to say, a large enough portion of the voting population is too damned apathetic to care.

Think about it. At the end of the day what do you care most about? Most likely it's your job, making your bills, trying to fill in the emotional holes with trinkets, for that is our consumerist society. When it comes to war, and war that is thousands of miles and two continents away, is that something that really gnaws at you before you fall asleep every night? If so, you are one of the few that really cares.

--------------------
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture