homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Pope Benedict launches attack on atheism. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Pope Benedict launches attack on atheism.
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted November 30, 2007 10:20      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pope Benedict, in a new encyclical released on Friday, said atheism was responsible for some of the "greatest forms of cruelty and violations of justice" in history.

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSL3016839520071130

I'd LOL if I wasn't so busy rolling my eyes. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 8170 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 10:32      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From TFA:
[Pope Benedict] said: "A world marked by so much injustice, innocent suffering, and cynicism of power cannot be the work of a good God. A God with responsibility for such a world would not be a just God, much less a good God."

So... since that's the kind of world we've got, God must be neither just nor good... in fact, he'd have to be kind of an uncaring dick.

I couldn't agree more.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 10:58      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
History has proven wrong ideologies such as Marxism which say humans had to establish social justice because God did not exist, the Pope wrote.
That's not a good example- Communism as practiced never came particularly close to Marx's ideals. They weren't even very good at being communists.

quote:
The Pope seemed to be addressing the fresh interest in atheism in the developed world with phrases such as: "Let us put it very simply: man needs God, otherwise he remains without hope."
Funny, that, I've been a lot happier since I gave up looking for a religion that isn't steeped in stupidity and useless dogma. Sure, the pope looks very pretty in his bedazzled robes and penis hat, but that doesn't make him right.

I did rather like his environmental stance, though. I'm perfectly willing to side with Catholics whenever we agree on issues of the environment or social justice. I do wish we agreed more often on the social justice end of things. I'm tired of watching that church maintain policies that result in treating women as if they were nothing but walking incubators. Condoms are a damned good idea.

Hey, everybody, guess what? I'm an angry atheist. How ya' doin? [Cool]

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 12:18      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is time for religion's to just admit that there are some people who just don't know what is out there or who just don't believe. And that they shouldn't be critizing people and using them as scapegoat's.

My parents took me to church and things as a child and allowed me to make my own decision on what I believe. I've made my decision (atheism with a hint of catholic) and I would like it if no one challenged my views just as I don't critisize anyone else's religion.

Just the same I'm not the guy who has created some of the worlds most greatest forms of cruelty. While I'm pretty sure the Catholic church was involved in WW2 someway or another just as I'm pretty sure the've killed more people then I have.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 12:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Pope seemed to be addressing the fresh interest in atheism in the developed world with phrases such as: "Let us put it very simply: man needs God, otherwise he remains without hope."
That would be number 4

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 13:10      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Pope Benedict, in a new encyclical released on Friday, said atheism was responsible for some of the "greatest forms of cruelty and violations of justice" in history.

He's right. Atheism is responsible for some. Religion is responsible for the other 98%.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 18:29      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if we're going to be pointing out logical fallacies, then I must admit that my criticism of the papal wardrobe was a clear and unnecessary ad hominem attack. I was just working to live up to the angry atheist stereotype, because sometimes it's fun to be a stereotype.

I hope that, someday, atheists will be responsible for most of the crimes committed on Earth (because that'll mean we're the majority) but until that happens, the pope really has no business heaping the bloody carcass of history at our feet. There just aren't enough of us for such characterizations to be true. Those who supported Hitler were surely christians and he'd have had no power without supporters. Hitler, himself, was a new-age spiritualist, guru-chasing twit, not a proper atheist. Much more like that flower of life dolt.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted November 30, 2007 18:57      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
November 30, 2007 13:10
He's right. Atheism is responsible for some. Religion is responsible for the other 98%.

[Confused]
So if a group of people commit some of the "greatest forms of cruelty and violations of justice," and they're not Christians, or Buddhists, or Hindus, or Wiccans, or Jews ... then "that other major religion" (from the Mideast) must be to blame.

Just an observation..........     [ohwell]

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 19:17      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, what does Islam (zOMG!! I said it! We're all gonna die!) have to do with the Pope's attitude toward atheists?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted November 30, 2007 19:26      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay... Here (wiki) . Not all religions are always peaceful, just like not all members of a religion are violent. Making mass generalizations like
quote:

and like this
quote:
So if a group of people commit some of the "greatest forms of cruelty and violations of justice," and they're not Christians, or Buddhists, or Hindus, or Wiccans, or Jews ... then "that other major religion" (from the Mideast) must be to blame.
are to blame for most of the religious misunderstandings we have today.

So could we all just please stop stereotyping everyone else, and maybe just think before we say something, because honestly all this back and forth gets pretty damned old.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 19:42      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, I'm going to have to throw in with SpazGirl (I've run out of angry... [Eek!] ) and say that, unlike Prof. Dawkins, I am perfectly willing to accept that it's highly likely that the history of the world would have looked pretty much the same without religion. We do, after all, have nationalism, and that's just as good as- and even more sinister than- religion. My personal attack on the pope was merely a reflection of his own lack of reason. We cannot attribute the avarice of mankind to a particular set of beliefs- it's been the same throughout history, in Rome under pagans and in Rome under christians, In North America when populated by indigenous peoples and in North America populated by us immigrants. We're all nasty, vile people, regardless of our faith or lack thereof. Laying blame at the feet of conflicting belief systems only complicates an already untennable situation.

Also, Xanthine is right, since when is this thread about Islam? That's just as bad as what the pope did, ASM.

--------------------

ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2007 09:27      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since my last post, blame on humans in general has been mentioned, in which case my "observation" has been properly addressed.

quote:
November 30, 2007 19:17
Um, what does ____ have to do with the Pope's attitude toward atheists?

I did not quote the Pope.

The statement that I quoted is either "true" or "false" (generally speaking), and the statement implies a specific conclusion. The logical conclusion is NOT "the Pope is responsible for 98% of all cruelty."
quote:
Lunatic "Philosopher": All Religions are Evil........     Islam is a Religion.
      Therefore Islam is Good and everybody else is Evil.

Note: If you can't see the Philosopher's logic flaw(s) then you're probably immune to education.

Given:
  • People with Religion commit atrocities
  • People without Religion commit atrocities
Using the Scientific Method on the above statements:
  • One should conclude that religion is not "The Cause" of atrocities
        (and maybe "the species" should be investigated as the cause instead).
</beating dead horse>

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

The Explainer
Mini Geek
Member # 5716

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2007 14:23      Profile for The Explainer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr 65816 offers confirmation of The Explainers ´Great Satan' theory...

When Mr Vic writes
quote:

Mr 65816 reads
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:
All Religions are Evil........     Islam is a Religion.
      Therefore Islam is Good and everybody else is Evil.

and responds to what he thinks he´s seen.
Posts: 53 | From: The hall of logic | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2007 16:53      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

quote:

Neither did I.

However, it is interesting that you immediately assumed that general frustration about theist dogma was somehow an apology for Islam (zOMG!!! I said the I-word! Again!!! zOMOG!! We're all gonna die!!!!!!!!!!). Get a grip. It's not all about Islam.

The Pope, in his encyclical, tried to lay the world's problems and the atrocities of history squarely on the feet of atheists. In doing so, he basically wrote all the crimes committed in the name of God (doesn't matter whose, though in the case of Islam, Judaism, and Christianity it's the same deity anyways) out of history. This is wrong.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2007 20:18      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WW II, Warsaw...
A young Polish lad is running from a young SS soldier. He runs into a dead end street; the Nazi is about to shoot the Pole, but suddenly he hears a voice from heaven:
-Don't you dare to shoot that man!
-Why not? - the Nazi asked.
-Because he will be the Pope!
-And what do I get for not shooting him?
-You... You will be his successor.

Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2007 13:21      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My argument is:
  • Self-serving sociopaths are the source of "greatest forms of cruelty and violations of justice."

My next assertion is that self-serving sociopaths lie as a means to an end.

A tyrant that grabs power does it for personal gain, regardless of the excuse given:
  • "The ancestors of our nation were oppressed."
  • "You are denied what you rightfully deserve; follow me and you'll get everything that should be yours."
  • "I'm doing this for god."

"Self-serving" is not "serving god"/"serving religion." Therefore, religion is not the cause of "the problem."

quote:
November 30, 2007 10:58
They weren't even very good at being communists.

To repeat myself using politics instead of religion:
  • The social ideal was not the cause of atrocities, self-serving sociopaths with the lie of serving a social ideal were the cause.

--------------------

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2007 14:19      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All _______________________ The Pope has drawn a conclusion from his study of the scriptures, His does not agree with my conculusion following said study.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2007 16:55      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:

quote:

Neither did I.

However, it is interesting that you immediately assumed that general frustration about theist dogma was somehow an apology for Islam

Ah, once again ASM offers a 'response' with no discernable connection to what the original posters actually said.

There have been several attempts to explain this, some suspect he's a troll-o-matic perl script, others prefer the 'Great Satan' theory, then of course there's my own 'Deranged Trolling Git' theory.

Well, just because I'm feeling whimsical today, I'll add another to the mix. It's a thinly disguised rip-off of Explainers 'Great Satan' theory, with a little of my own theory on the trouble between men and women thrown in.
I call it the 'Psycho Ex-Girlfriend' theory.

In essence, it states that ASM is like my psycho ex-girlfriend, he talks in code most of the time, and assumes everyone else does too.

For example...

Random GCer writes: "I disagree with what The Pope said"
ASM sees: decode("I disagree with what The Pope said") = "Jihad! Jidah! Death to the Great Satan! Oh, and by the way, your arse looks really big in that dress"
ASM thinks: "Your support for militant Islam is unjustified in this case, and my arse does not look big!"
ASM Writes: encode("Your support for militant Islam is unjustified in this case, and my arse does not look big!") = "China Smoke-too-much Russia Luxury Yacht Iran f'tang f'tang France olé biscuit-barrel Islam World War II"
We see: "China Smoke-too-much Russia Luxury Yacht Iran f'tang f'tang France olé biscuit-barrel Islam World War II"
We think: WTF?????

Now as any man knows, when this situation arises there's no point trying to reason with your other half, things will only get worse. The only sensible course of action is to apologize immediately, then kiss and make up.

So...

ASM honey, I'm sorry. Can we kiss and make up now?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2007 18:25      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If ASM65816 were unreasonable and un-topical 100% of the time, I'd stand behind everyone who mocks him/her. But since the offensive behavior isn't 100%, I'm gonna have to have some mixed feelings.

The point ASM was making was valid, if clumsy, in this case and deserves real discussion. I'm not just saying that because we agree that people will be assholes regardless of their faith. While it is true that alluding to Islam, even indirectly, was bizarre in this case, it may have made sense to the poster. The reasoning makes sense to me now that it's been explained.

It's a matter of enlightened self-interest for me to defend people's rights to be socially awkward.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 10 posted December 02, 2007 19:59      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Famous Druid wrote:
ASM honey, I'm sorry. Can we kiss and make up now?

No, TFD.. I'm afraid your arse really does look too big in that dress. Hit the stairmaster for a few weeks and try again and maybe you'll be purty enough to kiss.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2007 20:15      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
No, TFD.. I'm afraid your arse really does look too big in that dress.

Well I think I look pretty damn hawt in that outfit, although I must admit it makes my arse look very big.

-

--------------------

spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 04:53      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, for one, welcome our hefty-assed cross-dressing antipodean overlord.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
motionless_SEAsaw85
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 13330

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted December 31, 2007 06:57      Profile for motionless_SEAsaw85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScholasticSpastic:
quote:
History has proven wrong ideologies such as Marxism which say humans had to establish social justice because God did not exist, the Pope wrote.
That's not a good example- Communism as practiced never came particularly close to Marx's ideals. They weren't even very good at being communists.

quote:
Funny, that, I've been a lot happier since I gave up looking for a religion that isn't steeped in stupidity and useless dogma. Sure, the pope looks very pretty in his bedazzled robes and penis hat, but that doesn't make him right.

I did rather like his environmental stance, though. I'm perfectly willing to side with Catholics whenever we agree on issues of the environment or social justice. I do wish we agreed more often on the social justice end of things. I'm tired of watching that church maintain policies that result in treating women as if they were nothing but walking incubators. Condoms are a damned good idea.

Hey, everybody, guess what? I'm an angry atheist. How ya' doin? [Cool]

I'm new to this forum, but yet i just couldn't help myself. In many of ways you atheists' are quite right. But yet religion is suppost to promote peace and happiness exc... but yet theres nothing but WAR in the name of religion. Now adays though it's more about politics and government affairs, as if they can just be paid off to say this and that. This pope that we have now isn't even from the Pope blood line. Off point. As a christian (knowledgable in many religions)i do believe in a god and i do not believe in the way that he is represented. I don't even know if i'm in the same catogory as to what yall are talking about.
Beside the Bible does have some good points if you know what they mean? BIBLE is only;Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth.

Posts: 4 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2007 12:59      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by motionless_SEAsaw85:
I'm new to this forum, but yet i just couldn't help myself. In many of ways you atheists' are quite right. But yet religion is suppost to promote peace and happiness exc... but yet theres nothing but WAR in the name of religion. Now adays though it's more about politics and government affairs, as if they can just be paid off to say this and that. This pope that we have now isn't even from the Pope blood line. Off point. As a christian (knowledgable in many religions)i do believe in a god and i do not believe in the way that he is represented. I don't even know if i'm in the same catogory as to what yall are talking about.
Beside the Bible does have some good points if you know what they mean? BIBLE is only;Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth.

I'm not going to get into an argument about biblical efficacy here, but have you read the whole thing? The good bits are more than balanced by really evil bits, even in the NT, which is claimed by many christians to be free of the brutal sadism that seems to permeate the OT. There's a reason that many atheists make a point of encouraging christians to read the bible and learn about the book's history.

The wars and political dealings can be justified by passages in the bible- heck, almost anything can be biblically justified. That's why I scoff at claims that the bible is a source for cultural ethics in the Western world.

Even so, I'm not about to say that you're wrong to be a christian or to read the bible (you have read it, right?). I'll not even claim that religion is the root of all evil as has been done by certain prominent and much angrier atheists than myself.

We are monkeys with guns. People will die.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2007 17:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScholasticSpastic:
There's a reason that many atheists make a point of encouraging christians to read the bible and learn about the book's history.

But it's so much more fun when they don't

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture