homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Danegeld

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Danegeld
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2007 01:11      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone who's studied british history will know about the Danegeld, an expensive and ultimately self-defeating attempt by the anglo-saxon kings of England to buy with money what they couldn't win on the battlefield, safety from the Danish invaders. Not surprisingly, the Danes didn't stay bought-off for long, and each time the Danes returned, the price of 'peace' increased. Eventually, the Danes couldn't be bought-off any longer, and the days of anglo-saxon rule in England came to an end.

Danegeld has had a bad name ever since, it's just not something winners do.

Of course, this little history lesson is leading somewhere...
In todays paper I found this fascinating article
quote:
from TFA:
US to arm Sunni insurgents in Iraq

US commanders say they have successfully approached Sunni groups in Anbar province and have held talks with insurgent groups suspected of assaults on American units ... these groups have been provided ... with arms, cash, fuel and other supplies...
In exchange for American backing .. the Sunni groups have agreed to halt attacks on American units...

So, behind all GWB's tough talk of fighting terrorism, and 'staying the course', he's quietly paying Danegeld to his enemies.

It's a shame GWB's not a reader, if he'd read Kipling he'd know..
quote:
That if once you have paid him the Danegeld,
You never get rid of the Dane.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 12, 2007 03:35      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless they have RFID tracking equipment in all the guns so the army can finally find the Sunni insurgents. It could be a Trojan Horse Danegeld, playing on the Sunni insurgents' willingness to believe the US would do something so spineless.

Hmmm - subtle. I'd like to believe that rather than the alternative. You quote Kipling, so I'll quote Lennon / McCartney:
quote:
Money can't buy me love
I guess this also suggests that the Sunnis would rather kill Shi'ites than infidels anyway - heretics trump heathens on the busy terrorist's to-do list?

--------------------
Rich.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2007 05:52      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mistersaxon:
It could be a Trojan Horse Danegeld,

Speaking of Trojan Horses, and people who fail to learn from history

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted June 12, 2007 08:16      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well you've gotta love YouTube - I liked the Chaser report on airport security as well - especially the names they used to book their flights: Terry Wrist and Al Kyder. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Rich.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2007 10:03      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I emailed the fellas with a request to send Charles Firth to the Creationist Museum. [evil]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted June 13, 2007 18:35      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Wiki (edited): The Danegeld was a tribute to pay off raiders to save the land from being ravaged.

June 12, 2007 01:11
... each time ... the price of 'peace' increased.

Just a hypothetical question (I didn't want to say something cynical):

If the Hatfields and McCoys are in a feud that doesn't seem to end (lets assume it's gone on for a thousand years), and outsiders try to buy their "peace" by giving them machetes, clubs, knives, shotguns, and grenades....

... would it seem counterproductive to "buy peace" with those things?

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 19:17      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not necessarily... cemeteries are some of the most peaceful places around. None of the residents ever start fights.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 20:35      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:
If the Hatfields and McCoys are in a feud that doesn't seem to end (lets assume it's gone on for a thousand years), and outsiders try to buy their "peace" by giving them machetes, clubs, knives, shotguns, and grenades....

... would it seem counterproductive to "buy peace" with those things?

If you've appointed yourself the 'new sheriff in town' and are claiming that you're intervening in the feud for the good of both parties, arming both sides seems a pretty mindfscked way of doing so.

However, if your real intention was to wipe-out the Hatfields/McCoys and take their land, it might be a viable (but highly risky) approach. Of course, if the Hatfields/McCoys have spent the last 4 years shooting at you, giving them guns and cash would be sheer lunacy.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture