homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Humanity at its worst (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Humanity at its worst
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 16, 2007 22:53      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update: Views on the subject from one (and more in the comments) ER nurse
Posts: 1151 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 12 posted June 17, 2007 10:06      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
Colonel Panic is a virgin.

I'm not sure I want to know how you got that information
Aaaand why would it matter if he were or were not? Also, you can't quite say that, because I've found that passionate men (conservative or liberal) tend to inspire women (or other men, if a gent swings that way) to indulge in that passion. Why? It tends to translate in all parts of one's life -- good and bad.

That said?

If you want sins of humanity, check out what Nestle and Coca-Cola are responsible for worldwide. Nothing says "Good Start, it will last a lifetime" like infanticide due to marketing and bribery in third world countries, and what "good food, good life" are the child slave laborers of the cacao-producing Ivory Coast experiencing, and Nestle "makes the very best" by fradulent relabeling expired product.

And Coca-Cola sells syrup to bottlers who do things like . . . take water from the Thames and uses pesticide-heavy groundwater in third world countries. But, since the companies are outsourcing these parts, they aren't officially "responsible" for this.

After all, why should we give less "worth to tragedies that occur in non-English speaking countries as to those that occur in English speaking countries."*?

* "Thou Shalt Always Kill", Dan Le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip (2007, Lex Records)

(I replaced "more" with "less" in the last of my lines. Sorry!)

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2007 14:18      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pulling this from Stibbons's link because it's so important:
quote:
Then again, 75% of the people who come in should be seen at a clinic or urgent care anyway because it isn't an emergency...
Trouble is, clinics close and not all areas have urgent care.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2007 18:00      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I'm pulling this from Stibbons's link because it's so important:
quote:
Then again, 75% of the people who come in should be seen at a clinic or urgent care anyway because it isn't an emergency...
Trouble is, clinics close and not all areas have urgent care.
Gads yes. I lived in Oklahoma in the early 90s, and there were none around -- just a hospital which couldn't even deliver a baby (I kid you not). I had to travel nearly 2 hours to get to the closest hospital to have a child. Urgent Care? Pfeh. The only places I've seen decent Urgent Care were at colleges, and even then they didn't do after-hours.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2007 18:07      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And of course the 70 - 150 dollar minimums can be a touch hard for the poor folk to get a hold of.

It would be nice if there was a clinic type of environment for average stuff. I have a feeling it would take a load off a lot of Emergency rooms. And I don't mean 9-5 on the third Tuesday of each month either. But perhaps an inexpensive place for the lower wage workers to go.

I doubt that would ever happen. But hey it sounds good on a web page.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2007 19:06      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on where you live Shroom. In Boulder we have such things, and they actually work. But not all areas are so rich/progressive/whatever.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 17, 2007 20:45      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CommanderShroom: Well there's something that the greedy corporate world is trying to get rid off: healthcare.
For *really* low prices workers were able to access quality health services subsidized by both the goverment and the companies they worked for.
But when the companies and goverments realised they could make more money not subsidizing health, they created strategies in order to supress that help. Inflation and unemployment together pushed workers to obey corporate mandates, some of them losing many of their rights.
Corruption is the problem here, the lack of justice and common sense is making the poor poorer and the rich richer.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2007 02:37      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colonel Panic that was a very interesting read. Keep up replies like that.

I read over other people's views too.. but I really have nothing to add.

A person dying in a hospital? Trust me humanity could be much much worse... MUCH worse.

--------------------
I must not be popular. I only got 2 stars. :(

Posts: 63 | From: Las Vegas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
whoson1st
Maximum Newbie
Member # 9661

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2007 17:41      Profile for whoson1st   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I'm willing to bet that the hospital employees in question have seen more than one person put on an overly-dramatic act in order to try and hurry admission.

Illegal immigrants are a huge problem for the system, as their lack of funds generally mean they can't afford to go to a family doctor. They have to go to an emergency room for care that might not have otherwise needed such a trip, often because simple problems were ignored until they became serious ones, though it's not unheard of for them to show up with minor problems as well.

I cannot believe that people can be so cold. I don't care how many times you see drama, no one should be allowed to die. The article said that the nurses and whatnot appeared to just be working at their desks...they could have done something...anything. The fact that she died while being arrested for causing a disturbance while trying to get help for severe pain is inexcusable, regardless of anything else.

--------------------
Honesty is the best policy...but insanity is a far better defense.

Posts: 10 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture