homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Vegans jailed over death of baby

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vegans jailed over death of baby
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 12:24      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6642543.stm
Posts: 76 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 8 posted May 11, 2007 12:49      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The woman didn't breastfeed her child? She never breastfed her child because it was an animal product?!

What the HELL is wrong with people! And the family of these vegans? Why didn't they call in Social Services before the baby died.

I wish those two stupid, stupid people could get life in jail, because they obviously to idiotic to realize that part of being a mammal is drinking MILK as an infant! why did they get pregnant? Was the mother too stupid to understand her fetus was using blood and other animal products from its mother's body? Didn't they do any research on infant nutrition?

I am livid. I am so livid. I hope that they're given a trial with the option for the death penalty for this, so that future morons think twice before doing something as egregious as this.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ScholasticSpastic
Highlie
Member # 6919

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 12:51      Profile for ScholasticSpastic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, natural selection? I would definitely vote to award this couple a prize for being too stupid to breed.

Why'd they have a child? Probably because they were too stupid to realize what the consequences of their actions would be when they had some stinky-hippy sex.

--------------------
"As in repeating a well-known song, so in instincts, one action follows another by a sort of rhythm; if a person be interrupted in a song, or in repeating anything by rote, he is generally forced to go back to recover the habitual train of thought..." (Darwin, The Origin of Species)

Posts: 540 | From: Vernal, UT | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 13:09      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The baby was born in a bathtub in the couple's house."

"the couple did not take their child to a doctor because they feared hospitals were full of germs."

You can't cure stupidity when it's that advanced.

"We had no idea involuntary manslaughter was a felony. We were told for three years this was a misdemeanour"

You shouldn't take legal advice from anyone named Billy-bob.

"It takes money to prove this wasn't a felony - money we don't have."

$20 says they live in a trailer park.

*EDIT*

I would have lost that bet. They lived in an apartment. Here's an article with a lot more info

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 9 posted May 11, 2007 13:24      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"He's not going to live much longer if he doesn't eat."

The defendants mom said that, because her asshole son couldn't/wouldn't eat the jail menu. At least if he dies it will be by the same means his kid did.

What jerks. It's sad to see this kind of stupidity in people. I mean, it's not like it takes special food or equipment to feed a baby- it's all built in to mom! Humans have been doing it for thousands of years, and these dirty hippies have to go and fuck it up. [Mad]

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 13:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think if it's learned what he's in there for, he'll be force fed some other source of protein, which he might object to on the same BS vegan grounds. [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9344 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2007 17:20      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm amazed they could get pregnant - maybe they were unaware that semen is absorbed?

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
soulshine
Mini Geek
Member # 5367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2007 04:51      Profile for soulshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to agree. It's fair enough if people want to be vegan (not for me though) but to even think you can treat your baby like that?! Very stupid. They obviously need to eat more meat - look what happens otherwise :/

It's a sorry mess from reading the longer article.

Posts: 76 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 8 posted May 12, 2007 05:33      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! I'm back!

I can't imagine how irresponsible those guys were.

They weren't and aren't mentally sane to breed a child.

They should at least know that the basis of a nutrition of any Mammal is their mother's milk, the baby didn't need anything else, pretty easy, isn't it?

They just have to make it the natural way, but no, they're creating lame excuses to cover their stupidity and lack of reason for their actions.

Just eat the damn steak and shut up.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2007 07:50      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know I've seen the is breast milk vegan argument before but it has always ended up one of two ways:

1. Yes, because although it is an animal product, it is given willingly with full knowledge of what it is being used for

2. No, but do it anyway because it's not like there are any vegan baby formulas on the market and it's better for your kid.

I can't believe people would actually try NOT doing it and just giving the baby soymilk--not even soy formula! [weep]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2007 07:52      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My impression of veganism is that animal products are avoided because the animals are believed to be exploited. Thing is, giving your baby the milk you're already producing for it isn't exploitation. It's nature. It's what mammals do. And breast milk is really the best thing to feed a baby anyways. These parents missed a point or two, I think.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2007 18:33      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate when people enforce their beliefs on others. Let the kid decide if he wants to be a vegan when he grows up and can make his own health choices. Some people do the same things to their dogs and other pets. I honestly don't care if vegan options become available for babies because it is wrong regardless, especially since studies show that breast milk is extremely important in brain development.
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture