homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Politics/Religion/Current Affairs   » Politics and religion take the back seat (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Politics and religion take the back seat
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 07, 2007 23:10      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
quote:
Stereotypes do have a grain of truth in them, otherwise they would not exist.
This simply isn't true. There are a lot of completly baseless sterotypes out there.
More of them have their beginnings in truth than not. What needs to happen is people in general should move beyond them.

quote:
quote:
Trashy people come in all colors and you can tell who they are by the way they present themselves to society.
Book by it's cover?
quote:
I admit I do think less of a person who wears his pants under his butt and every other word out of his mouth is f*** or s**** or some other swear word no matter what color they are.
"Every man is in some my way better, in that I learn from him." -- Carnagie

quote:
Just because you disapprove of someone's mannor of dress or the words he uses, doesn't mean that they are any less your equal.
Ok, I admit I am an imperfect human being and I have a belief that people should pull their pants up and not curse in public. But even though I think less of them it does not mean I don't show them respect or kindness if the situation presents itself.

Prejudice is ingrained in everyone you will meet. Think of a culture that you know about and you automatically have a picture of an average person of that culture is like in your head based on what you know or think.

quote:
quote:
It just happens to be that most of them that I see have an abundance of melanin in their skin. You can be assured that when I see someone whose skin is a lighter color and behaves in similar fashion I am also disgusted by them.
So, dress and culture, not race, is at the core of your prejudices. How is that any better?
I am so sorry but I get aggravated when I have to tell my 11 year old son that he needs to pull his pants up and not repeat words that he hears in public because it is improper behavior. I also can't stand that I have to call the police at two in the morning because the bar full of white trash down the street is playing honky tonk music so loud that I can't sleep. I know many black people who are in touch with their culture and they do not dress trashy and swear in every sentence. I also know people who live on all areas of the economic ladder and they are decent people. In many cases they have apologized to me after I met their neighbors because of their behavior in all colors and on all economic levels. Trash knows no color class or creed.

quote:
quote:
We know racism did not end with the Civil War, and many of us who are enlightened are teaching our children to judge people by their actions.
This is the opposite of what you just said.
Fine, you know what, if we have to have prejudice I think the healthiest one is judging people by their behavior. How you act tells people who you are. This goes into the area of morals, ethics and laws. You can't legislate how a person feels and you can only make laws that only force a minimum of ethical behavior but beyond that, ethical and moral behavior are up to each individual. A society is built on a foundation of a group ethic. So if you call me prejudiced because I don't like people to swear in front of my child then go right ahead.

quote:
quote:
We might completely eliminate racism by the time my grandchildren have grandchildren. I am always hopeful that that day will come.
That may be, but there will always be groups and cultures who are looked down upon... I don't know why it is human nature to form strong identies with groups and to look down on groups outside of ones own... But I fear it will take more than a few generations before logic prevails.
You might be right but we can still hope for the future. Here is an article you might find interesting on stereotypes GM. Ok I am done; enough with the threadjack.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled debate.

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2007 04:32      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colonel Panic wrote:
the way Steen parades in his pointy hat and David Dukes, it becomes clear that the south still has its racists.

If you think I'm a racist, why were you so conspicuously silent when I issued my challenge to prove it? I call bullshit.

Steens hatred towards me goes back to when I posted my picture on this site and he became enraged that a person with "some blood in him" dared post here.

Post the link where you did this and prove you're not a liar.

While you're at it, get a clue, because you are -not- the only non-caucasian who posts at GC. You're just the only one who randomly starts insulting others and screams "racism" when people don't put up with your obnoxious behavior.

GameMaster wrote:
quote:
Ahh yes, Huckleberry Finn. Written in 1876, 13 years after the emancipation proclamation of 1863.
The Emancipation Proclamation was the union outlawing slavery in the confederacy, not in the union. Which is:
1. Like the US passing laws in France
2. Just a moral tag-on to an economic war
3. The beginning of a long strugle for equality, not the end.

When you remove the part where I said "moving society towards ending racism" rather than "ending racism", it makes it a lot easier to make me sound wrong while you say the same thing I was saying, doesn't it?

Out of context quotes... the fun, new way to argue! It's no wonder you find yourself agreeing with Colonel Panic. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2007 05:27      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
Steens contridictory words betray his ugly bigotry.

He is so typical of the wild-eyed racist whose words one moment carry no meaning the next.

I understand that not everyone in the South is a racist or a bigot.

Then again, the way Steen parades in his pointy hat and David Dukes, it becomes clear that the south still has its racists.

As for racism and accusations of rape. The novel "To Kill A Mokingbird" addressed the issue well.

It is an unfortunate legacy of the South.

The fact that Steens bigotry is not universally condemned indicates that the southern behavior of tacitly approving outrageeous racist and bigoted acts is alive and well. Is it no wonder that 60s lynch mob leaders are not convicted until they are bed-ridden and need the medical care a prison can give them?

Stand with him if you must. But don't stand with George Wallace at the schoohouse doors one moment -- draped in the stars and bars -- then say, "We're not all that way!" the next. People do have memories, even if Steen believes those memories are peculiarly short.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt. You have always seemed like a good guy. But you cannot sit on the fence post now.

Steens hatred towards me goes back to when I posted my picture on this site and he became enraged that a person with "some blood in him" dared post here.

His behavior, along with some others with exreme right-wing and racist views, seems to peak when "southern heritage" issues are broached. At those times he goes off on a Fox News/Bill O'Reilly kook rant, accusing those with whom he disagrees of nutty behavior.

Apparently this is because he has no cyber access to a rope and a can of gasoline.

Go Steen, go!

Colonel Panic

You cannot be fscking serious! Where are you getting this absolute drivel from? C'mon, you're making the big accusations, let see some evidence of racism on Steen's part. Otherwise, you're just talking crap.

I guess I'm now a racist too, by your definition...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2007 08:49      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CG:
I'm sorry, CG... I was in an odd mood last night. I came off a little more harsh than I wanted to when replying to you. I just meant to say that it isn't a perfect world and that we all make these value calls on first impressions when we shouldn't I didn't mean it to be specifically about you -- it's just your post that triggered my reply. I apologize.

Steen:
quote:
When you remove the part where I said "moving society towards ending racism" rather than "ending racism", it makes it a lot easier to make me sound wrong while you say the same thing I was saying, doesn't it?

Out of context quotes... the fun, new way to argue! It's no wonder you find yourself agreeing with Colonel Panic.

My agreement with CP is that Mark Twain did advance the cause of equality by humanizing African American people to a society that still believed that they were somehow sub-human. My argument went on to say that the Civil Rights movement started long after the Civil War or Mark Twain's Huck Finn.

I don't like agreeing with CP, but he's got a point this time.

Now, the uncalled for personal attacks between you, on the other, is just making yourselves look bad. It sorta reminds me of TFD and ASM.

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Demosthenes
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 530

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2007 09:20      Profile for Demosthenes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
Then again, the way Steen parades in his pointy hat and David Dukes, it becomes clear that the south still has its racists.

I'm going to have to counter this statement with the observation that Steen has always been a total cupcake to this ultra-liberal Jewish Yankee... [Razz]

So, steering back to the original topic...rape, sure, the way the authorities treat rape victims in this country is abominable to the point that victims are afraid to report the crime. Society as a whole doesn't seem to take it seriously. Even entertainment trivializes it.

But, do you know who the worst offenders are?

Drunken sluts.

Ever since I met my first drunken slut of this particular nature back in college, my perceptions of rape victims have changed...I, and many others who've dealt with drunken sluts, have heard the story change from "I got trashed and slept with an ugly dude that I'd just met," to "I WAS RAAAPED. Pay attention to my trauma!" in the course of 24 hours. Women who drop the rape bomb in order to cover up their mistakes, fit in with the man-hating feminist crowd, or simply to save face are doing the rest of womenkind (and the poor men on the other end of their accusations) a terrible injustice. It makes me so mad.

(PS, a guy with whom I had a history of casual friendship once tried to assault me in his car a few years back. Sexual assault soon turned into assault and battery, because you shouldn't try to molest chicks who study Muay Thai and carry collapsible riot batons. [Big Grin] Take safety into your own hands.)

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2007 09:54      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by catgoddess:

My 1 in 6 reference to six women you know was to put things into perspective and wasn't meant to be a "reality" example. Figurative speech is so misunderstood...

No, it's overused nonsense that just incites meaningless rhetoric and fear regarding a certain issue and in many cases, takes away from an otherwise worthy cause because the person issuing the claim gets written off as a 'fanatic'.

quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:

Drunken sluts.

Ever since I met my first drunken slut of this particular nature back in college, my perceptions of rape victims have changed...I, and many others who've dealt with drunken sluts, have heard the story change from "I got trashed and slept with an ugly dude that I'd just met," to "I WAS RAAAPED. Pay attention to my trauma!" in the course of 24 hours. Women who drop the rape bomb in order to cover up their mistakes, fit in with the man-hating feminist crowd, or simply to save face are doing the rest of womenkind (and the poor men on the other end of their accusations) a terrible injustice. It makes me so mad.

(PS, a guy with whom I had a history of casual friendship once tried to assault me in his car a few years back. Sexual assault soon turned into assault and battery, because you shouldn't try to molest chicks who study Muay Thai and carry collapsible riot batons. [Big Grin] Take safety into your own hands.)

You're my hero. Seriously. Beating down an assailant is awesome.

An old acquaintance of mine a few years back got together with a girl at a party, and they spent the better part of the night together in a bedroom at the apartment.

They also spent the better part of that night going at it. Everybody could tell because you could hear them in the entire apartment. all. night. long.

The next morning, when word made it to the girl's boyfriend, and she realised that what she had done came with repercussions, she cried rape.

The police filed an obstruction of justice charge against her after approximately 20 people were all willing to tell the police what they heard going on in the other room.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2007 10:43      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
CG:
I'm sorry, CG... I was in an odd mood last night. I came off a little more harsh than I wanted to when replying to you. I just meant to say that it isn't a perfect world and that we all make these value calls on first impressions when we shouldn't I didn't mean it to be specifically about you -- it's just your post that triggered my reply. I apologize.

Apology accepted. Likewise I know I came off as sarcastic but I was kind of aggrivated last night with some other issues, so I apologize to you too.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted February 08, 2007 11:00      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good work, GM and CG! [Applause]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2007 11:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes:

Drunken sluts.

..."I WAS RAAAPED. Pay attention to my trauma!" ...

I believe you may have met my mad ex.

<very-long-story-cut-short>
She's been raped/beaten/sodomised/robbed/framed-for-drug-possession/shat-upon by every male she's ever dated, including me.

Fortunately for me, by the time it was my turn, no-one believed a word of it.
</very-long-story-cut-short>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 08, 2007 12:28      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, those who cry wolf not only ruin their own credibility, but also cast doubt on those with a legitimate complaint. It's pretty sad when people seek to manipulate others using false claims of something highly prejudicial like that. The same would apply to highly dubious claims of racism, for example. [shake head]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture