homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » All about the comics!   » Anime and all   » What happened to the great animé?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What happened to the great animé?
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2010 04:53      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when I was in college, I was introduced teh the great jappanese animé, but it sems like it has been ages asince somethign good has come out.

Princess mononoke rocked, but since then studio gibli has done done "disney" movies.

Ghost in the Shell was mind blowing and pre- matrix. Ghost in the Shell 2 was without any decent action sequences and wnnabe sci fi themed. ( the ideas were not mind blowing)

Akira, was great, but since then the studios have switched to a "cheaper" animé style. Any frame from this film is an art work in it's own right. But modern Animé seems to me like a cheap rip off version of teh art sytle that Akira was. I think it would be better for a japanese studio to pool thier money and come out with one great film a year than to come out with 4-6 films that S\/CK.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3093 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2010 06:47      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken my Anime thirst to the series, to be honest. I am seeing again the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex season 1, season 2 will be next, and I must say I quite liked "Noir" too. As for movies, I don't know what is new, to be honest. Maybe I should.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Venture
Geek-in-Training
Member # 32021

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 00:15      Profile for Venture   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a few good ones out. Elfin leid, Death Note. Cowboy bebop is one of my favs. I'm not as hardcore as some. I cant watch them with the subtitles and such.

--------------------
~The world is a hologram; Subvert the dominant paradigm~

Posts: 35 | From: Summerville, SC | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 00:48      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Venture:
There are a few good ones out. Elfin leid, Death Note. Cowboy bebop is one of my favs. I'm not as hardcore as some. I cant watch them with the subtitles and such.

I anly watch animé with subtitles, I cannot stand Dubbing.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3093 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ikimitsu
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 32383

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2010 12:31      Profile for Ikimitsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The animé scene (so to say) has changed a lot it has become hard to find a nice "new" animé, I have almost given up and skipped to just reading mangas. But in the category of series i would agree on Elfen Lied, Blue Seed, Code Geass, The vision of Escaflowne (the movie is also pretty good, it's much darker than the series which was a very nice surprise, i definitely recommend watching the movie), Samurai Chammploo (for Edo era Japan and a bit of hip hop twist, it's just hilarious), Witch hunter Robin (because the soundtrack is just awesome)

(waouh and done with my first post [Big Grin] )

Posts: 2 | From: Finland | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 31, 2010 13:40      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:
Originally posted by Venture:

I anly watch animé with subtitles, I cannot stand Dubbing.
Yeah...my friends made a purist of me that way. ;P

However, I really haven't watched very much anime since my college days. (In part, fueled by common viewings with said friends.) I should probably throw more in my queue - find something novel for the summer. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9344 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 01, 2010 17:27      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Twas replaced by this.

http://www.jacquielawson.com/viewcard.asp?code=1560479383964&source=jl999

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2010 06:37      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of Anime, here's what the well-dressed 21st Century Ninja is wearing.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10700 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture