homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » All about the comics!   » Anime and all   » Favourite Manga/Anime?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favourite Manga/Anime?
Nollaig
Maximum Newbie
Member # 9135

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 05:17      Profile for Nollaig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really know a lot of them tbh. I've read and seen Angel Sanctuary and its not really very well known, but its definately my favourite.

I found the manga version of Battle Royale to be a good read too.

Animes like Death Note, Trinity Blood, Fruits Basket and Rozen Maiden are also really good, anybody watch any of these or read the manga versions? What are peoples opinions? =)

--------------------
Perceptible triangles come and go, but the true form of the triangle is immutable and enternal.

Posts: 14 | From: My happy place. (Ireland) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 08:48      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one that started my addiction is "Gunnm". I believe the word "cyberpunk" was coined after it; if not, it should - yes, it is such a major piece of work. Go get it. Now!

(Just beware of the ones labeled "Last Order": it's a follow-up, and though still good, it's just not as tightly bound as the original serie.)

Got it yet? Good.

Now, as far as anime goes, I believe "Perfect Blue" to be my favorite, as it is the one crave to watch again every once in a while: great story, and good artwork. Then some Miyazaki's work are still battling for second place ("Spirited Away" and "Princess Mononoke" are both very good, but I also have to watch "My Neigbour Totoro" before taking a final decision about them).

Hmmm, now I want to watch "Millenium Actress" again...

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 09:54      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though this topic has been posted before - lol - np

Umm my favorite and only anime is still Naruto - Even though they have been going really slowly with the plot line - this anime has had me on the edge of my seat a couple of times.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted July 06, 2007 11:08      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:

Well, taste can evolve, and as we grow up (or grow old? [evil] ) we may find ourselves attracted to different stories. So it can actually be fun after a few years to compare our answers at different times. So that's the kind of subject I don't mind answer more than once.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 11:37      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stereo wrote:
The one that started my addiction is "Gunnm". I believe the word "cyberpunk" was coined after it;

For what it's worth, here's where the term actually came from.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
reachums
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 12:22      Profile for reachums     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoy Naruto as well, I also love Death Note, Fruits Basket, and (the old classics) Cowboy BeBop and Trigun. But I'd have to say my all time favorite is Fullmetal Alchemist. [Applause]
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 13:50      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:

Well, taste can evolve, and as we grow up (or grow old? [evil] ) we may find ourselves attracted to different stories. So it can actually be fun after a few years to compare our answers at different times. So that's the kind of subject I don't mind answer more than once.
lol - thats what the "np" was intended for. And my post showed that my taste hasn't changed in half a year.

--------------------

Nollaig
Maximum Newbie
Member # 9135

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 15:56      Profile for Nollaig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol sorry, I didn't realise there was another topic like this...didn't see it....maybe I'm blind.

Right:
Stereo: I LOVED Perfect Blue too. A lot of people warned me, 'oh its just a mild Hentai' but I didn't think so. I thought it was actually a genuinely good film. Bit wacky... but very good.

Reachums: I've never seen the old classics unfortunatley =( Living in the arse end of the universe I was lucky to catch a/the Cowboy Bebop movie on a channel a few weeks ago. It was excellant, but I've never seen the series, or Fullmetal Alchemist or anything.

Nobody I know seems to have actually READ Angel Sanctuary. The anime did it NO justice WHATSOEVER. The actual series has to be one the best series of all time! Even tho I haven't finished it all yet =P

--------------------
Perceptible triangles come and go, but the true form of the triangle is immutable and enternal.

Posts: 14 | From: My happy place. (Ireland) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 19:51      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anime? What's that? uhm. I mainly watched fansubbed anime.

[u]Latest (or still going) addictions: [/u]
Naruto (the belated crap sap of doom, too bad it's getting way too trendy! I started it on ep 16.. now it's barely worth watching)

Bleach: Need I say more...

Lucky Star: An awesome anime for those who like Azumanga Daioh, Love Hina, Chobits, etc..

Devil May Cry: I enjoyed the games now trying the anime, episode 2 was dubbed recently, I'm enjoying. Bloody gorey. Big sword. <3.

D-Gray Man: It definitely has it's down parts but overall a good anime.

Death Note: Unfortunately, went to shit when the dispute between L and Kira was completed. If it would have ended there I'd have been happy.

[u]Recently Discontinued Animes (or in delay)[/u]
Blood+: This was an awesome anime .. Slow part in the center but otherwise keeps you interested!

Pumpkin Scissors: A must see for any war-antic anime watcher. no mechs though.

I've watched a crapload more, but these come to my head!

Of course Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Chobits, Love Hina, Gundam*, the "classics" are a must see...Also Kenshin (or Samurai X) all the way up to episode 80, after that, forget it.

InuYasha has some decent interesting stuff to it. Nothing worth getting addicted but it's a good filler anime (when nothing else to watch).

my all time favorite? Hrrrm I really really enjoyed Noir. Also .Hack was a great series.

--------------------
I must not be popular. I only got 2 stars. :(

Posts: 63 | From: Las Vegas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2007 00:52      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? No votes for Megatokyo ? For shame! It gets my vote.

And Slack? Be grateful you got any stars. *Sob*
[Wink]

--------------------
Rich.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nollaig
Maximum Newbie
Member # 9135

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2007 04:26      Profile for Nollaig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Four words:

Devil - May - Cry - ANIME?????

--------------------

Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2007 11:48      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep.

Not sure how to take your reply. but it's out there.

--------------------

Nollaig
Maximum Newbie
Member # 9135

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2007 16:22      Profile for Nollaig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats extremely classy =P

--------------------

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 20:09      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slack User: You watching the latest Naruto?

Naruto is strange - every now and then you get the episode which makes you fall in love with the series again and forgive all of it mistakes. And you keep being told that you should be expecting great things from the series in the future.

They told us that when they started the filler. Filler is done now and they are still stretching every episode to cover as little manga as possible.

Oh well its only 20 minutes of my week - so I'm still watching it hoping for something special.

--------------------

Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 10, 2007 22:05      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. I'm watching it... but I can't forgive the number of hours Naruto has wasted in my life with repeats of content, pointless storyline fillers, and other tid bits.... But you're right, when they do good content, they do it very well.
Too bad the ratio is so terrible, like even the GOOD episodes have 3 episodes behind it building up to the fight... gaah.

--------------------

reachums
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 06:12      Profile for reachums     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read Naruto as well as watch it, so I don't mind when the anime starts getting slow because I know what to look forward to. The manga, however, has it's slow points, there was about a month when it was just assembling people and chatting, and basically not much going on, but then it redeemed itself by giving me crazy action!

so if you are just watching the fansubs, get ready for some pretty cool fights.

I'm about half way through Death Note, it does seem to be slowing down now, but it is still holding my interest. I miss Ryuk...

macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 08:49      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BLEACH ALL THE WAI!!!11!!1 [Big Grin]

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1151 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 11, 2007 16:24      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by reachums:
I read Naruto as well as watch it, so I don't mind when the anime starts getting slow because I know what to look forward to. The manga, however, has it's slow points, there was about a month when it was just assembling people and chatting, and basically not much going on, but then it redeemed itself by giving me crazy action!

so if you are just watching the fansubs, get ready for some pretty cool fights.

I'm about half way through Death Note, it does seem to be slowing down now, but it is still holding my interest. I miss Ryuk...

Thats what the've been saying for awhile - I'm still waiting for the fights patiently.

--------------------

reachums
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2007 08:20      Profile for reachums     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say in the next 2 or 3 episodes the action will get rolling. I'm hedging my bet there because of how slow they are moving.

gotta stretch that cannon out as long as they can!

Nollaig
Maximum Newbie
Member # 9135

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 19, 2007 10:36      Profile for Nollaig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Death Note is my favourite anime of all time. I have a death note and a little L hanging from my keys lol. L is quite possibly my favourite character of all time. Out of anything. Ever. I like Near, tho most people don't seem to.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture