homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » Anime and all   » What about manga?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What about manga?
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 10, 2006 23:01      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As much as I love anime I've found that the manga usually contains more storyline. A lot of times the anime will wrap up before the manga is even finished.

Which do you prefer... Anime or Manga?

--------------------
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 96 | From: The resturant at the end of the universe | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 17:25      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really watch a lot of anime or read manga, but in a general sense I agree with you. I enjoy reading far more than watching TV or movies because the storylines are much more detailed and interesting.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 20:13      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's really true for me of the Harry Potter books. The movies were ok but disapointing. There was much to be desired when they left out so much information from the books.

--------------------
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 96 | From: The resturant at the end of the universe | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2006 21:00      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm the same with Star Wars. I much prefer to read the books than watch the movies now, especially after the prequels.

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 06:51      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never read the Star Wars novels but my cousin has. He said the same thing, that he prefered them over the movies.

--------------------
Abraham Lincoln

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 11:25      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With StarWars it's a little different because the novels are derivative work... The moves are from the mind of the creator and the novels are a tag on.

As far as the prequels go:
The first one was horrible.
The second one was a good movie, but not worthy to be called StarWars.
The third one was, at last, a movie worthy to be called StarWars.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 11:41      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You forgot to mention the Clone Wars animated movie...

--------------------
Abraham Lincoln

MandysRad
Geek
Member # 4871

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 13:07      Profile for MandysRad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason a lot of animes wrap up before the manga does is because the mangas are still being written while the animes are being aired. They have to go away from the original manga storylines because they're not sure how long the author plans to keep writing or even where the author is headed. Half the time the author isn't even sure which route the story is going to take yet.

On that note, the mangas are far more interesting and I do prefer them.

--------------------
{insert something witty}

Posts: 110 | From: My mummies basement | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 18:14      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MandysRad:
On that note, the mangas are far more interesting and I do prefer them.

What manga/anime are you into right now?

--------------------
Abraham Lincoln

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 19:09      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniélín Aine:
You forgot to mention the Clone Wars animated movie...

Actually movies, there's two of them now isn't there? Need to get my hands on the second one...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2006 20:56      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are two out... It's still a little strange to see an animated Anakin and Obi-Wan, though. Yoda, however, looks right at home.

--------------------
Abraham Lincoln

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 10:01      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two total. They are the series of shorts that were played on Cartoon Network. Their done by the animator of Samurai Jack.

I also want a copy of the Ewock movie and DVDs of the childrens cartoons Ewocks and Droids that I watched when I was little.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugurcan

Member # 4746

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 11:15      Profile for Ugurcan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised, nobody mentioned hentai yet [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Constants aren't, Variables won't..."

Posts: 219 | From: Under a 110 ft satellite dish... | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 16:21      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... That goes without saying. [crazy]

--------------------
Abraham Lincoln

Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2006 19:35      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To answer the original question, I would have to say... Yes!

I say this since the question of Anime vs manga is kind of a tough call here. Many of the animes I have seen are pretty engaging and fun to watch. There is also something to be said about hearing the great work of the voice actors and actresses out there not to mention the theme songs. ("Tank" anyone? ) On the other hand, as pointed out earlier, mangas usually have a lot of little things one might miss or wont see in an anime. In this respect, I am glad I am getting my Shonen Jump Magazines now!

--------------------
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me. - Benvolio (Romeo & Juliet)

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
MandysRad
Geek
Member # 4871

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 08:44      Profile for MandysRad   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reeeally into Fruits Basket right now.

The anime was short but good though it pissed me off that they didn't mention that Momiji was German but I did like being able to see and hear him as he was explaining why his mother didn't know him.

I swear I cried for like an hour.

--------------------
{insert something witty}

Posts: 110 | From: My mummies basement | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 13:54      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It isn't really manga, but if you have a chance to check out Pini's original Elfquest series. A classic graphic novel!
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Daniélín Aine
Mini Geek
Member # 4894

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2006 15:52      Profile for Daniélín Aine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MandysRad:
Reeeally into Fruits Basket right now.

The anime was short but good though it pissed me off that they didn't mention that Momiji was German but I did like being able to see and hear him as he was explaining why his mother didn't know him.

I swear I cried for like an hour.

I LOVE Fruits Basket! The Momiji episode made me cry, too. (It's so sad!) I also really liked the Kisa episode. (She's really cute in tiger form.) The next manga comes out in April and I've already read an excerpt from it. (I get a manga magazine from Toykopop.) It looks like it's going to be interesting.

--------------------
Abraham Lincoln

Tirthas the Geek
Mini Geek
Member # 2864

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2006 09:18      Profile for Tirthas the Geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had ElfQuest...(wipes cobwebs off memory)...there were a couple of books, right?

My first Manga is the current Tsubasa series. I saw the fan-subs first (before it was licensed) and liked it...so I bought the manga, which I LOVE.

--------------------
I already used my best sig on Slashdot.

Posts: 92 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2006 13:28      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:

As far as the prequels go:
The first one was horrible.
The second one was a good movie, but not worthy to be called StarWars.
The third one was, at last, a movie worthy to be called StarWars.

You should have seen AOTC in IMAX. It was 23 minutes shorter than the theatrical cut, and believe me, a completely different movie. It was definitely worthy of being called Star Wars.

Back to manga. I like them and all, but honestly, they're a bad financial investment for me. 10 minutes, and it's $10 gone. From a $10 novel, I get a few hours reading, at least. I like them too much though, so I stay away from the comic shop. [Smile]

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2006 06:00      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grey_Girl check out your local library. We are buying tons of manga.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
meitaru
Newbie Larva
Member # 5516

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 05, 2006 20:56      Profile for meitaru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FRUITS BASKET RULES!!! Does Tohru like the rat or the cat? I kinda hope she chooses Kyo, myself.

--------------------
Former Band Geek

Posts: 6 | From: MI or NM | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Darren Duncan
Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1694

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2006 23:26      Profile for Darren Duncan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As one who has read and watched several dozen series of both types, ...

I would say that, when a manga and anime exist for the same story, then whichever version came first is hands-down best 99% of the time.

Examples of series I like where the anime came first and/or were the only version include "Noein: to your other self", "Serial Experiments Lain", and "Gundam Seed".

Examples where the manga came first and I like the manga better include: "Oh My Goddess", and anything by Watase Yu or Rumiko Takahashi.

In some cases, its a wash, where both versions seem equally good but in different ways, such as: "Azumanga Daioh"; the manga came first with that, but is in an unusual 4-panel-strip format like a newspaper.

By the way, all of the above series are excellent, and worth a look.

Posts: 27 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture