homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » Anime and all   » anyone speak/read/write chinese or... i guess japanese is close...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anyone speak/read/write chinese or... i guess japanese is close...
kimberly
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3957

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2005 10:00      Profile for kimberly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
because i have no idea what this says:

-

please say at least one of you knows.

GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2005 10:41      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may want to PM SilverBlade, she's from Hong Kong.
Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2005 11:31      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's kanji, used by both China and Japan. Seems more like Japanese because it's not "fancy like calligraphy" (I don't know a technical term for that).

Characters from top to bottom (phonetics not adjusted for the actual words)

1. KAKU (ono-ono) -- Each
2. KA (hana) -- Flower
3. NYU (iri) -- Enter(s)
4. KAKU (ono-ono) -- Each
5. GAN (manako) -- Eye

Was it by something pretty? [Smile]

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2005 12:02      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't read Chinese or Japanese, but I do know that simplified kanji don't necessarily correlate to Japanese. Some time ago (read: I don't know when, perhaps the Cultural Revolution?) the Chinese government decided to create a new character set to increase literacy in China. Thus, there is the traditional ("fancy like calligraphy) Chinese and the simplified Chinese. There are also unofficial simplified character sets, like the one used for what we might call cursive.

But your translation passes the "makes sense" test, so in this case it probably is Japanese.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted July 13, 2005 12:03      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:

2. KA (hana) -- Flower
3. NYU (iri) -- Enter(s)
5. GAN (manako) -- Eye

Was it by something pretty? [Smile]

So could it be the Japanese equivalent of "beauty lies in the eye of the beholder"?

(Danapoppa could also be of help, if he's still around... Has anyone seen him recently?)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
kimberly
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3957

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2005 16:15      Profile for kimberly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow.

heh.

it was next to a lotus flower and i just wanted to get the whole effect. that's awesome [Smile] thanks [Smile]

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 14, 2005 03:25      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Flowers look different in different eyes" or, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". (Well done, Stereo [Smile] )

Check it out here for more like it. This one's about a quarter of the way down the page.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted July 14, 2005 21:05      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm kind of curious about where you saw this and how you got the characters since it's not a photo from a camera. Looking up a few kanji out of several thousand in a font would be a real pain unless you're familiar with "radicals" and stroke counts.

FYI:
Chinese does have "Subject-Verb-Object" word order, so it could be literally correct and paraphrase to "The beauty of each flower is seen by everyone."

However, for the Japanese it would be as bad as "All your base are belong to us."
1. There's no verb. Japanese verbs are at the end of the sentence.
2. There's no verb because there's no conjugation of the verb. (example: NYU (iri) "Entering" + "Mouth" becomes (iriguchi) "Entrance" as on signs to buildings, etc. -- The character forms nouns if not conjugated.)
3. No "markers" for subject ("wa") or object ("o").

[Frown] I don't have the font for those Chinese proverbs, so I can't tell how similar they are to the "sign" in question.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
b-gurl
Mini Geek
Member # 4163

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 17, 2005 07:43      Profile for b-gurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought I would post as I can read Chinese [Wink]
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816

It's kanji, used by both China and Japan. Seems more like Japanese because it's not "fancy like calligraphy" (I don't know a technical term for that).

Characters from top to bottom (phonetics not adjusted for the actual words)

2. KA (hana) -- Flower
3. NYU (iri) -- Enter(s)
5. GAN (manako) -- Eye

Was it by something pretty?

I can't read Japanese, but I can read Chinese, and the characters read "Each flower to each persons eye" translating to 'Each to his own' or 'Each person has his own preferences' (like stereo said "beauty lies in the eye of the beholder")

EDIT: Also those characters in traditional and simplified Chinese are written the same.

--------------------
B-Gurl. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Posts: 53 | From: uk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
kimberly
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3957

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2005 18:09      Profile for kimberly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
see...
 -
that is what it is, right?

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2005 21:51      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good golly, Holly! When do you get the rest inked in? [Wink]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
kimberly
Maximum Newbie
Member # 3957

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2005 22:14      Profile for kimberly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the rest?

the only part that's left is the blank parts of the smoke because... well, it's smoke.

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 30, 2005 02:04      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's pulling your leg....

Hence the [Wink]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted July 30, 2005 11:36      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice tat kim...

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Digital_Wolf
Newbie Larva
Member # 4309

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2005 03:34      Profile for Digital_Wolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, very nice tat. When did you get it?

--------------------
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Posts: 7 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Danapoppa
Geek
Member # 1555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 06:35      Profile for Danapoppa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(Danapoppa could also be of help, if he's still around... Has anyone seen him recently?)
I'm still lost in translation, but lurk around whenever I get a chance.

Hmmm .... "to each his own," yes. Well, it's either that or: "Watch where you're scattering those flowers, you're likely to put someone's eye out!" [Big Grin]

I did a quick search and was only able to find this phrase in Chinese contexts, so I'm pretty sure it's not a Japanese saying (although a Japanese person would be able to read all the characters and probably puzzle out the meaning). Unfortunately Danamomma is away on business today, so I can't ask her to confirm this.

I'd advise anyone interested in getting a Chinese character tattoo to be very careful. Sometimes you may not be getting what you think you're getting. Examples (some of them quite funny) abound in this site.

... That said, it is a nice tattoo, Kimberly. [Smile]

Posts: 237 | From: South of Mt. Fuji | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 09:02      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been wanting to get a tattoo for some time now, and Amanda and I have agreed, once our wedding is over, we're going to go get tattoos. She wants to get a happy buddha on her ankle. I've always had an obsession with my country (Canada) and dragons. I'm toying with the idea of a dragon that has a red top and bottom, and a maple leaf on its stomach...
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2005 09:18      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
She wants to get a happy buddha on her ankle.

dnm

here is some info on the 'happy buddha' or 'laughing buddha'

He represents a Chinese Zen Master by the name of Po-Tai Hoshang. HE went through China with the bag of toys and gifts for children. He is not truly a buddha just a man that reached enlightenment. Or found the buddha within.

And then he became the symbol/god of good fortune and happiness.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted September 21, 2005 14:35      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha ha, Danapoppa that was so funny...

I actually really dislike the trend of people having "exotic" calligraphic tattoos because they think it is cool - if you don't *really* understand what it means then having it tattooed on you is only for a fool - and it matters not whether you are talking Japanese/Chinese/Korean/Sanskrit/Arabic/Urdu or even English.

My neighbour is a Chinese woman and she tells me that a couple of altered strokes can effectively turn "Valiant Warrior" into "Snivelling Coward" or "Faithful Wife" into "Cheap Whore" - I don't know if she meant that literally or figuratively as I don't read kanji/kana or any other non-Roman alphabet (well I know some Greek and Cyrillc characters but I can't "read" Greek or any Cyrillic languages) but I took the point. If you don't *really know* what it says it could actually say anything!

Also I know a man (now retired) who spent most of his career working high up in the British Foreign Office (and latterly as a Cabinet Office adviser on foreign affairs). He is a talented "quick linguist" (he can pick up a language in a few weeks of study - though he admits he can forget them almost as quickly if not used...) Having spent a fair amount of time in the Far East he can speak passable Japanese and Mandarin and read Japanese and Chinese to reasonable level too (as you might expect). My brother and I once asked him if he could find us the Japanese characters for the name Gomi Designs meaning approximately "Junk" or "Trash" Designs - being a careful man as befits any diplomat he took great pains to rule out characters that could be interpreted as sh*t, Junk (as in the boat), etc. and it took him a couple of weeks to find something that he felt conveyed the right spirit of the "Japlish" name without any "nasty" connotations.

OK - I am rambling a bit here, but the point is if you know nothing about electrics would you stick your screwdriver into a live fusebox? No?

So why risk having "All your base are belong to us second stinky boy" tattooed on you when what you wanted was "when a man smells a rose the world belongs to him for that moment"?

Bleh - /rant

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture