homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » All about the comics!   » Anime and all   » "Howl's Moving Castle"...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Howl's Moving Castle"...
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 28, 2005 09:23      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Miyazaki's new feature premieres on June 6. Has anyone heard anything about it? I read a bad review somewhere on the internet. In short, the review said "Miyazaki can do better than this." But of course it did incredibly well in Japan.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

magefile
Highlie
Member # 2918

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2005 09:19      Profile for magefile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Premieres where - theater, or DVD?

--------------------
Let them be stupid - the market will sort it out.

Posts: 743 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alephcat
Alpha Geek
Member # 2617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2005 16:22      Profile for Alephcat   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
theater? why would you want to watch a film in a theater? surely that is what cinemas are for?

--------------------
"You have the right to search in silence. If you give up the right to search in silence, anything you say can and will be modded down in a court of public opinion."

Posts: 300 | From: Chester | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2005 18:14      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have both "Movie Theatres" & "Cinemas" here. They are both the same thing. Oh actually 3, we also have "Movie Theaters" [Razz]
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 05, 2005 22:05      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a preview for "Howl's Moving Castle" tonight before watching "The Parrots of Telegraph Hill" (which was great, see it). It looks like "Howl" borrows some of the themes from "Spirited Away", i.e., there's a powerful demon-like guy who helps a girl overcome a horrible curse. It does sound a little familiar, but previews are rarely good yardsticks for quality.

Either way, I'll see it in the theater. The amazing animation alone will pay for admission.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Hikaru
Alpha Geek
Member # 1142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2005 21:32      Profile for Hikaru   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like it is a retelling of a version of the story of Baba Yaga's Hut

--------------------
Sister Woman, she speaks for the collective, that and scolds me for my poor typing, dont let her smile fool you.

Posts: 317 | From: AppleDale, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Capt.Miko
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4086

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 15, 2005 19:01      Profile for Capt.Miko   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a preview of it and it looked really interesting. Why did it get a bad review? Looks like a good movie.

--------------------
My signature is not here at the moment. If you would like to leave a message, please leave it after the beep...............
beep!

n3rdHobo
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4088

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 17, 2005 19:21      Profile for n3rdHobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i looked at some previews for it and i wasnt that enthralled about it. It looks like one of those "well...theres nothing else on so i might as well" kind of movies, if you get where im going.

--------------------
The internet is much like giving you local middle school chess club crystal meth and guns

Posts: 3 | From: Behind you! | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2005 06:53      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look's awesome to me. Can't wait to see it.

What're everyone's favourite Miyazaki films? Mine has to be Princess Mononoke, but I haven't found one I don't like yet.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2005 15:29      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw it. It was playing only a short walk from my condo (and it was unbelievably hot out, especially for my locale). Though it wasn't as good as Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke, it still had all of the great stuff a Miyazaki movies has: bizarre creatures, witches, curses, demons, cute animals, a bizarre gelling of past and future, and incredible incredible incredible animation.

It's not quite the retelling of Spirited Away that the preview suggests, though it does have some very obvious simularities. The Moving Castle itself is just fun to watch as it gropes over the incredible backdrops.

If you're a Miyazaki fan, see it. Though the ending made me go "ummmmmmm... what?!?!" a little bit. Nonetheless, see it.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Jenna
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 4092

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 19, 2005 23:29      Profile for Jenna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the movie yesterday and I think part of the reason that it isn't quite up to Miyazaki standard, so to speak, is because he was probably trying to do the book justice. It was based on the book written by Dianna Wynn Jones, and I thin he did pretty good at keeping it along the same lines, which is probably why Howl's wasn't quite up to his usual. Otherwise, though, I loved it. The dog had me cracking up!! XD

--------------------
quote:
...and nobody in all of Oz,
no wizard that there is or was,
is ever gonna bring me down...

~ Elphaba, Wicked: A New Musical

Posts: 1 | From: San Diego | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zim'et
Alpha Geek
Member # 2448

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 29, 2005 19:20      Profile for Zim'et         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Miazaki, and I'm looking forward to Christian Bale's performance. I've loved him in just about everything he's done.

--------------------
3 2 1... Let's Jam

Posts: 254 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 30, 2005 06:12      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ewomack:

If you're a Miyazaki fan, see it. Though the ending made me go "ummmmmmm... what?!?!" a little bit. Nonetheless, see it.

Ok... good. So I'm not the only one who was puzzled about the ending! I'm still trying to figure out the last 20 minutes or so. I may try to see it again before it closes.

Favorite Miyazaki? Whispers of the Heart. How they filk John Denver just cracks me up. Now if they would just release it in the US I'd be a happy camper.

Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture