homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Hey, I'm new.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hey, I'm new.
iheartcomicbooks97
Newbie Larva
Member # 39882

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2011 05:12      Profile for iheartcomicbooks97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I'm 13, from the UK and new here. Any advice???(:
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2011 06:44      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't eat the stale brownies... if you take the last of the coffee make a fresh pot, beware the Estonian whisky!

Have fun - post early, post often [Wink]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
iheartcomicbooks97
Newbie Larva
Member # 39882

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2011 08:19      Profile for iheartcomicbooks97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheers, was beginning to think it was dead around here.
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted July 03, 2011 09:23      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Advice: Start investing or saving a small sum of money in the bank every month.

http://www.fool.com/teens/teens01.htm

Don't get a credit card. [Razz]

Welcome!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2011 10:22      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smoke lots of cigarettes, drink lots of Estonian whisky, and always trust internet spammers.

(You didn't specify you wanted *good* advice [Wink] )

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2011 14:10      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Advice: Start investing or saving a small sum of money in the bank every month.

http://www.fool.com/teens/teens01.htm

Don't get a credit card. [Razz]

Welcome!

Pretty good idea (saving FTW!), but I would suggest that a credit card is fine if used like a debit card. There are many advantages in security in using a credit card, not offered with a debit card. That said, he's in England, and Europe is nowhere near as interested in credit cards as the US is. (And the banks are much nastier about responsibility/blame -- you are the party at fault automatically, vs. here where the vendor is the default bad guy.)

If a vendor fscks with me and I paid for those goods/services with my AmEx, I have a pretty good chance of keeping my money/getting things remedied. If I did so with a debit card, I'm going to need a lot of luck. Plus, I get cash back!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2011 15:02      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 24-year-old sister is trying to buy a car, but because she's never had a credit card, she was rejected for a loan. So, she got one of those preloaded credit cards - she can spend it down, then reload it - and theoretically it will boost her credit score/credit-worthiness.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 03, 2011 16:14      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
My 24-year-old sister is trying to buy a car, but because she's never had a credit card, she was rejected for a loan. So, she got one of those preloaded credit cards - she can spend it down, then reload it - and theoretically it will boost her credit score/credit-worthiness.

Um...sorry, but preloaded cards are like gift certificates. Unless she gave her SSN, I strongly doubt it'll count towards her credit score. She's much better off getting whatever basic card is willing to give her a ~$500 credit limit, and building things up from there. (In particular, *always* paying on time, and ideally either the full balance, or a good deal more than the minimum.)

With the general obsession over using debit cards these days, I totally forgot about this implication! I've had a credit card since I was 18 - but I've used it responsibly. The only time I've used a debit card of late is to get gas at cash prices...and my local station has gone back to same prices for cash & credit (probably because gas is so much!), so I've stopped using my debit card.

P.S. I'm pretty sure this may not apply to our newfound poster, as a mate of mine told me that 'credit ratings' are based on location of residence in England. If the previous tenant was a scumbag, you may have trouble doing things at banks. If you're a scumbag, but the previous tenant was an angel, well have a nice day! [Razz] (Perhaps some of this has changed over the last few years, but that's my brief understanding of things.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2011 18:14      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work in a bank in England and can therefore add the following with some confidence:
iheartcomicbooks97 declared his/her age as 13 and so will nor officially be getting any credit facility, loan or credit card, for quite some time.
However, there is not currently any UK legislation to prevent a 13 year old from using emotional pressure on his/her parents in order to secure borrowing from the "Bank of Mam & Dad" [Razz]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
iheartcomicbooks97
Newbie Larva
Member # 39882

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 04, 2011 03:09      Profile for iheartcomicbooks97     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, should've specified good advice and I do save.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture