homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » jqubed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: jqubed
jqubed
Maximum Newbie
Member # 7897

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted April 09, 2007 21:34      Profile for jqubed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm jqubed, longtime reader (more of the comic, but the forums too), first time poster. I finally decided to register because I'm mulling over getting a Mac. I'm studying video/tv/audio production in school, and I'm starting to do freelance video work. I was all set to get going with Sony Vegas on my self-built PC (4 years old but still quite powerful) when some capacitors on my motherboard blew. Now I'm in a bit of a conundrum. I can buy a used motherboard like I had (the venerable Asus A7N8X Deluxe), or upgrade basically everything (4-year-old top-of-the-line doesn't really work with the new stuff [Frown] ). This provides an opportunity to jump to a Mac and use Final Cut, while I could still run Windows for everything else (I use Macs at school... and I still don't like them very much). There's things I prefer in each program, but Final Cut is definitely the dominant program and that becomes an advantage if I work with others.

Basically that's a long-winded way of saying I might get a Mac to do video editing and run Windows (or Linux) the rest of the time, and I'd like to ask questions of some of the more experienced geeks here in the coming weeks and months. But tonight is too late for that...

--------------------
Unabashed Windows Fan
I employ ellipses extensively...

Posts: 10 | From: The States | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2007 22:21      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool - welcome! [Smile]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 09, 2007 23:10      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forums jqubed!!!
Hope we can cure your windows fandom [evil]
Dman, bring me the tweezers! [Razz]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 06:04      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mornin'. [Smile]

Welcome. I use windows too, there's no shame in it...

Oh, if only I could say that without weeping. [shake head]

[Razz] *tips hat* Hi!

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 06:39      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forums... don't mind iWan, he's still trying to get over the fact he still uses Windows [Razz]

Anyway, welcome, again, and the coffee is on the back counter, and bagels are in the fridge [Razz]

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 07:05      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have bagels? Good, I'm hungry.

Oh? and welcome, jqubed! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2007 00:52      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we have pastries in the fridge too.

Welcome to the forum! [Applause]

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2007 09:15      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who put the pastries in there? Last I knew we only had bagels! [Razz]

--------------------
Things, and things.

BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2007 09:35      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cookie? [Smile]
 -

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2007 16:56      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey welcome!
Hope you have fun here.
There's cupcakes on the stove up.

p.s. don't eat the cookies...she can't cook. [Wink]

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2007 17:04      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey welcome - ouch lemon

yeah if you get time there is an old bottle of milk in the back what needs trowing out.

I CALL THE COOKIE

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 11, 2007 17:30      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LemonSmuggler:

Says who? Apparently, you're not familiar yet with my cooking skills. ;-)

FOOD

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 11, 2007 20:41      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oy! I stepped on booboo's doo!
Wait! Is a cookie!
*crunch*
Yum, delicious!

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2007 00:27      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:
quote:

Says who? Apparently, you're not familiar yet with my cooking skills. ;-)

FOOD

Dear BooBooKitty,

while your other treats do look mighty tasty, this cookie is not your best work.
Perhaps you should offer our new member a different sweet...one that doesn't look like something a poodle doodled?

-Lemon [Wink]

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2007 06:14      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you don't like chocolate chocolate chip...
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2007 08:25      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me will not be the one turning down the chocolate chocolate chip...
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2007 08:41      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forums, jqubed.

quote:
while your other treats do look mighty tasty, this cookie is not your best work.
Perhaps you should offer our new member a different sweet...one that doesn't look like something a poodle doodled?

Actually, it looks like an excellent cookie to me. A good homemade drop cookie doesn't look like the overly processed crap they sell in stores.

I'll take a batch or two (or three) anytime, BBK. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2007 13:26      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BBK you can send some of those cookies my way any time you see fit [Razz]

--------------------
Things, and things.

BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2007 13:34      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I should take some orders for a few care packages! [Smile]
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2007 10:19      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm late to the game, but welcome!

. . . aaaaand I am going to bake this weekend because I'm in a big bad baking biatch mood.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jqubed
Maximum Newbie
Member # 7897

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted April 13, 2007 20:52      Profile for jqubed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
those cookies look good... i love me some homemade chocolate chip... or chocolate chip in general

thanks for the welcome everybody! i even made the forum tidbits! [crazy]

Posts: 10 | From: The States | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted April 13, 2007 22:19      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take a look around, and if you haven't posted in the Forum word association game, hop right in! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture