homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Zer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Zer
ZER
Geek-in-Training
Member # 7171

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 14:29      Profile for ZER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I am from Kansas City MO, have a computer called
"The Beast" and host my website on it.
I currently have 101 GB of hard drive space total (including my PDA). I do pixel art, web design, tech support, photography (although i only am actively using 2 or 3 of my skills). I also play Armagetron Advanced online a lot if anyone else here plays it.

--------------------

Posts: 33 | From: Hacker Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 14:32      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to play the orginal armegedtron. Never online though. Just some home network stuff. It rocked.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3093 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted February 11, 2007 14:37      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the Geek Culture, where normal things don't happen very often. [Wink]
Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 14:40      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forums

nice little bit of gloating on your website.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
ZER
Geek-in-Training
Member # 7171

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 14:47      Profile for ZER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might do some sprites for AY2K if i get bored, I am good with small icons and sprites.
The way Nitrozac drew AY2K with a tablet really makes it easy to turn it into a sprite.

--------------------

WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 16:56      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coolness! I also was a homeschooler, though that was ages ago now.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of fun to be had here, lots of geeks of all ages and skill levels in their various disciplines.

So... what's the problem with XHTML being based on XML? What would you prefer to use?

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 17:00      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to GC.

I was a homeschooling mother for three years -- while ours didn't turn out (my student wanted out this year), I'm glad it's working for you.

Hope to see you on; bounce around the board and have fun. :-)

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ZER
Geek-in-Training
Member # 7171

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 18:02      Profile for ZER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just learned html then found out that to use xhtml i would need to learn xml which i dont want to learn at the moment. I barely know html and xml is just not something i want to learn right now. I will when i have the time.
[Eek!] I got quite a few hits on my website today.
I just got it setup a few days ago.

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 18:44            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kinda worry when 101 GB of hard drive space is a braggable quantity ...

And I don't think plain old HTML will become obsolete for a long time yet, even if simply due to the collossal amount of legacy sites that need to be supported.

Contrary to what the W3C say, I don't think HTML creates any problems for parsers. What causes problems for parsers are all the tag soup pages out there, full of incomprehensible stupidity, that people expect to be fully supported regardless.

It's bad enough looking at FrontPage code -- perfectly valid HTML, but with so many extraneous tags and so much abuse of non-breaking spaces that you can't believe that the HTML and the rendered page are in any way related. Trying to alter the text by finding it in the code makes you long for the simplicity of finding sharp metal objects in the nearest large pile of hay ... (Yes, I've just take over being webmaster of a site that has all FrontPage code)

I don't think XHTML is anything to worry about. Concern yourself with extensive use of CSS and accessible HTML practices, and keeping all the code as readable and well laid out as possible (good use of whitespace). Make sure you validate the code.

IP: Logged
ZER
Geek-in-Training
Member # 7171

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 19:02      Profile for ZER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Webdesign is one thing that unless you do a really bad job or a extremely good job, people really don't
notice you. I recently took over a website made with Godaddy's Website Tonight software, it was ugly.
I think i could do a better looking website in Notepad. I was just learning HTML cause i knew i would need it someday, and within a week I was a webmaster.

--------------------

uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 19:25            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a common, semi-humorous but still very serious comment made about programming that you need to make your code readable for if you get hit by a bus.

It's something that's said light-heartedly but right now, I really am working on a site that was run by a friend who died. These things do really happen. And being a FrontPage user, I really cannot read the code. On the live site, I'm still working on the nasty HTML, but I've taken a copy and stripped out all the HTML with copious use of regular expressions and the delete key. Now I need to put all the HTML back in again, but in a way that makes sense. No font tags this time, no nbsps, and without having one table per item (not one row, one whole table ... not sure if it's a mistake, or just a workaround for browsers with no progressive table rendering?)

IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 21:04      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Armagetron Advanced!

I really think it's one of the best team-based games online. No other game rewards you as much for good team work, and no other game lets you mess things up as badly for your team either. It's really cool.

I stopped playing when I got this new computer, because the PPC version wouldn't run well on it. But I know the UB has been out for *ages* now, so I should get back into it.

And can we see some of your pixel art please?

And hello.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ZER
Geek-in-Training
Member # 7171

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted February 11, 2007 21:30      Profile for ZER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I thought i was the only one on this forum that played it! What server do you play on? I play mostly Wild West Capture The Flag, but i also play at The Dip Bowl a lot. You might even have played me before, I used to be called Belac then ZERbot and now -|TSC|- ZER.
I will upload some of my pixel art in the morning,
lately I have been doing a lot of emoticons for a friends forum (a forum for his new armagetron clan). I also am almost done on some sprites for The Geek from AY2K. That gives me a idea, After Y2K Fan Edtion!

--------------------

WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 21:45      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's some really great software out there for making decent looking pages that aren't complete crap.

On Windows, I'd primarily recommend 1st Page. Nice editor, produces pretty clean code.

On Mac there's BBEdit. This one costs a bit, but not too much. Good for other stuff, too. I like iWeb too, but that's just because it's really easy for end users. It's pretty bad on the source side.

HTML vs. XHTML is kinda pointless - really it's mostly about remembering to close your HTML tags and not doing anything Frontpage would do [Wink]

I'd say the most worthwhile thing to learn after HTML is CSS. That will make the most difference in the long run, and it's really pretty simple. It also avoids most of the problems uilleann was mentioning there.

Here's a beautiful example of CSS at work. The CSS Zen Garden really gives you a nice look at the flexibility of CSS.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 22:22      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BBEdit?? Why would you use BBEdit over TextMate? Apart from a feeling of nostalgia... [Wink]

Seriously, though, if you're a Mac user you *have* to try TextMate. (I assume you haven't, because if you had you'd be recommending it. [Wink] )

Edit: Oh, and I used to play on Crazy Tronners' Wild Fortress, but I just had a look and it seemed empty, and it used to be full all the time, so maybe it's not as popular. I popped my head in Wild West CTF, but you weren't there.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
ZER
Geek-in-Training
Member # 7171

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 22:35      Profile for ZER   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank's but I already have a good web design program, Nvu and Mozilla Composer. Nvu is pretty good, its my main tool. When I just need to make a small change I use Notepad. Nvu is like FrontPage except it's not crap.

--------------------

WinterSolstice

Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 11, 2007 22:47      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
Seriously, though, if you're a Mac user you *have* to try TextMate. (I assume you haven't, because if you had you'd be recommending it. [Wink] ) [/QB]

Actually, I LIVE in textmate [Big Grin] I code a ton, and it keeps me sane. Not so good for a n00b web programmer, though.

Yeah for Windows definitely check 1st page. Trust me

--------------------

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2007 04:09      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ZER:
When I just need to make a small change I use Notepad.

I'm amazed no-one has suggested Notepad2 yet. I use that for just about everything when I'm forced onto a Windows machine (and it sits happily on my pendrive too)
Posts: 1147 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted March 11, 2007 20:42      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Zer, Sorry I'm late but welcome.
I checked out your art. I really like it. [thumbsup] Pretty, and I like your use of color.

Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 17:50      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
(Yes, I've just take over being webmaster of a site that has all FrontPage code)

I hate FrontPage with a passion, I sold Dreamweaver for $400 this weekend to a customer, and they even tipped me $10 bucks.

They wanted to use FrontPage, I was like that site will be horrendous, and I know from experience.

Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 20, 2007 18:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do all my coding in vim, thank you very much. [Smile]

Seriously kids, don't edit in Notepad. You may think you're very 'l33t' or 'hard core,' but it really doesn't contribute to editable code. I inherited a code base of PHP (*cries*) written in Notepad. It's terrible code, and while the quality has more to do with the author, the layout of it wasn't helped at all by the tool*. Coding without syntax highlighting these days is really silly, as it's a serious advantage in preventing stupid errors. The CSS that accompanied this code is *atrocious* and there are some errors that could have been very easily been caught with a good editor.

*It's trivial to change indent levels in vim, it's nigh impossible in Notepad.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9341 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2007 16:17      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ZER:
Hi, I am from Kansas City MO, have a computer called
"The Beast" and host my website on it.

Hi, Zer! Welcome to GC (a little belated, since you signed on in February). Hope to see you posting lots!

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture