homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Howdy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Howdy
ishy
Maximum Newbie
Member # 6043

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2006 18:17      Profile for ishy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm ishy. I really am female, I am a geek, and I don't see a contradiction in the two. I run a website for female geeks. Sometimes I get to do non-geeky things, but then I tend to get bored.

Technically, I don't have an official profession at the moment, but I am writing a young adult fiction book. My editor tells me there's a high demand for that genre, so I thought I'd try it.

I'd write more, but I'm really tired right now and all that's coming out of my head is "..........."

Posts: 18 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2006 18:29      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ishy______________________Well if you read all of the posts for and about and by Boo you will have caught up with all of the rules I did not know exisited.

Any way welcome post often and thoughtfully and no harm will come to you.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2006 19:07      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heehee, Moman, that made me laugh. [Big Grin] Even if it wasn't intended to. Thanks for that!

And Ishy, welcome. I'm so new maybe I'm not supposed to be welcoming you, but oh well. And good luck with your book! I've done some writing as well and it's always nice to meet other writers.

Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
ishy
Maximum Newbie
Member # 6043

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2006 19:09      Profile for ishy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
ishy______________________Well if you read all of the posts for and about and by Boo you will have caught up with all of the rules I did not know exisited.

Any way welcome post often and thoughtfully and no harm will come to you.

Yes, I guess I came on the right day, didn't I? Lucky me.

I have that leek song stuck in my head now...

SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2006 21:08      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome ishy! There's coffee on the counter somewhere, if you can find where it is it's yours...

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2006 23:55      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forums, Ishy. Good luck on the book. Are there any authors or books that you look to for inspiration?

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
ishy
Maximum Newbie
Member # 6043

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 06:54      Profile for ishy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the genre (chick lit) I'm writing, probably Meg Cabot (Princess Diaries). She pretty much is the queen of the genre.

Yes, it's may be a slightly cheesy genre, but they sell well. And my book is much less the sex and gossip that is popular and more about good self-image.

Plus, the main character is a geek, and her friends are geeks. That's been missing from a lot of chick lit.

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 09:22      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What on earth is "chick lit"? [Confused] [Geek]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 09:25      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:

A disparaging term, I believe, Peebs. Akin to "chick flick". Personally I prefer to read "git lit" myself.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Astronomer Jedi
Highlie
Member # 4699

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 09:42      Profile for Astronomer Jedi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is computer geek literature called "bit lit"? [Razz]

--------------------
Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Posts: 606 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
ishy
Maximum Newbie
Member # 6043

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 09:48      Profile for ishy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Chick lit" isn't disparaging. That's actually what it's called in publishing circles. "Git lit" would be disparaging.

Here's a summary article: http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2006-06-20-chick-lit_x.htm

"Chick lit" has been made into movies like the Bridget Jones movies, Devil Wears Prada, and of course the Princess Diaries movies, which kind of started it all.

The trouble with todays teens is that most won't read anything that isn't fluffy. My 13-year-old neighbor girl comes over and critiques for me. I actually convinced her to read some science fiction, which I thought would never happen.

BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 10:30      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, good luck with the writing!! :-) [thumbsup]
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 10:58      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:

A disparaging term, I believe, Peebs. Akin to "chick flick". Personally I prefer to read "git lit" myself.
That's funny, I thought you were more into "sheep-lit", spungo [devil wand]

quote:
Originally posted by ishy:
The trouble with todays teens is that most won't read anything that isn't fluffy.

I don't know about most, ishy. My 12-year-old clublet generally prefers non-fluffy fantasy and horror stories. The books she wants to read have some heft to them. And my 8-year-old likes adventure stories, like Treasure Island, Robinson Crusoe, and Island of the Blue Dolphins. Of course they do have a geek father...

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1759 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 12:40      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The trouble with todays teens is that most won't read anything that isn't fluffy. My 13-year-old neighbor girl comes over and critiques for me. I actually convinced her to read some science fiction, which I thought would never happen.

True, and very sad. I get strange looks sometimes when I mention that, at that age, I was obsessed with reading all of the works of H.G. Wells (followed by Tolkein and Poe, among others).

quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
quote:
The trouble with todays teens is that most won't read anything that isn't fluffy.

I don't know about most, ishy. My 12-year-old clublet generally prefers non-fluffy fantasy and horror stories. The books she wants to read have some heft to them. And my 8-year-old likes adventure stories, like Treasure Island, Robinson Crusoe, and Island of the Blue Dolphins. Of course they do have a geek father...
Well, it's good to know some still read the good stuff. [Smile]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 14:43      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello and welcome Ishy.

Never thought I'd see the day when someone got their nick
from an old Joe Jackson tune.

Posts: 796 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 15:17      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HalfVast:

I keep thinking of Ishi. [Geek]

--------------------

ishy
Maximum Newbie
Member # 6043

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 16:36      Profile for ishy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hello and welcome Ishy.

I have no idea who Joe Jackson is. Ishy is short for Michelle.

Incidentally, 'ishi' also means rock or stone in Japanese.

BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 17:08      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Hello and welcome Ishy.

Incidentally, 'ishi' also means rock or stone in Japanese.

I think we might be dating some of ourselves if we know who Joe Jackson is. :-) Incidentally, I like his stuff. I think he's produced some other stuff more recently, but not something that'd hit the airwaves.
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2006 17:15      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ishy wrote:

Don't tell me nobody remembers that song?

Ishy really going out with him?
Ishy really gonna take him home tonight?
Ishy really going out with him?

quote:
BooBoo young 'un wrote:
I think we might be dating some of ourselves if we know who Joe Jackson is. :-)

Quiet you [Razz]
Posts: 796 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture