homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Heyyyyyooooo

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Heyyyyyooooo
Mundungus
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2006 19:20      Profile for Mundungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My name is Nick.

I'm seventeen and about to graduate from high school. I live on the East coast of the United States and y'know, like taking walks on the beach and feeling the wind in my hair.

Well, I love reading comic books. That's my geek side, as well as sci-fi movies and all that other stuff.

But I'm into philosophy and psychology and hope to major in psych/counselor in college so I can counsel kids who are in hard times.

--------------------
"We must fear nothing but fear itself."

"What about werewolves?"

"Yes, and werewolves."

Posts: 2 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2006 20:19      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's much more profitable to counsel rich people who think they have problems. And if your advice doesn't help them, you don't feel guilty about it either.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2006 20:34      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sci-Fi ... just never really did it for me.
The closest thing would be Fantasy.

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted April 30, 2006 22:07      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hooray, another comic book reader :-) I just got sucked into the world of comics by DC's Infinite Crisis stuff.

Welcome to the forums.

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Shadow
Assimilated
Member # 1558

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2006 00:39      Profile for Shadow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the GC Nick/Mundungus. Congrats on the upcoming graduation! Do you know what colleges you are interested in checking out?

It is funny, I had a similar experience with anime and Manga ARJ. Good stories are hard to pass up! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I do but keep the peace: put up thy sword,
Or manage it to part these men with me. - Benvolio (Romeo & Juliet)

Posts: 415 | From: /dev/geek/ | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The real Stealth
Geek
Member # 4615

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 01, 2006 17:37      Profile for The real Stealth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome from a mid-westerner... I to am a SciFi / Fantasy person.

--------------------
The one and only "§†eal†h the Fallen One"...Between Your life And mine are Three realities, Yours, The real one, and Mine. They they form a bridge shapped in the letters D-O-_-N-O-T-_-C-R-O-S-S.

Posts: 141 | From: Battle Creek, MI | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2006 03:48      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought Fantasy was indexed under Sci-Fi.

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2006 03:55      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ooby:

I'm not really sure how these classifications go anymore. I think Sci-fi has expanded from it's original definition in recent years. Sci-fi is a short form of science fiction, i.e. fiction about science. I take this to mean stories about space ships in the future, advanced technology that doesn't exist yet, genetic engineering ect. Now it seems people are classifing things as "sci-fi" that do not involve ficticious stories about science.

post scriptum: I really don't mind the new classification. I am just making a point.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2006 03:57      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I'm not really sure how these classifications go anymore. I think Sci-fi has expanded from it's original definition in recent years. Sci-fi is a short form of science fiction, i.e. fiction about science. I take this to mean stories about space ships in the future, advanced technology that doesn't exist yet, genetic engineering ect. Now it seems people are classifing things as "sci-fi" that do not involve ficticious stories about science.

post scriptum: I really don't mind the new classification. I am just making a point.

EDIT:

I think fantasy is not sci-fi. Fantasy stories are things like the works of Terry Brooks and JRR Tolkein.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Geordie

Member # 996

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2006 13:42      Profile for Geordie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The term that includes both Science Fiction and Fantasy, would be Speculative Fiction.

--------------------
Geordie

Posts: 322 | From: Fairfax Station, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ooby
Highlie
Member # 2603

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2006 14:34      Profile for ooby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
double post scriptum

--------------------
"haven't you ever wondered if there's more to life than being really, really, rediculously good looking?"

Posts: 680 | From: South Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ARJ
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 157

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 02, 2006 22:24      Profile for ARJ   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow:
It is funny, I had a similar experience with anime and Manga ARJ. Good stories are hard to pass up! [Big Grin]

I'm already addicted to anime. I only have 1 manga book but would own more if I weren't supporting a poor starving PhD student. [Smile]

--------------------
Katie West: Well done steak? Really?

Warren Ellis: Yes. Because MAN COOK MEAT WITH FIRE UNTIL IT NO CRY ANY MORE THEN EAT IT DEAD

Posts: 1197 | From: Sydney, NSW, AU | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 03, 2006 00:20      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
double post scriptum

That was not an error on my part. This was *sorry* an error. I posted an edit to my original comment and it came up as anouther post?? [Confused]

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture