homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » It's the fault of Slashdot (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: It's the fault of Slashdot
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 00:09      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Filk????!!!! I only know one other person who knows filk!!!

/me sings "There were five (five) constipated men in the Bible..."

(Okay, not really filk, but sung by a filker, IIRC.)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 01:55      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a word I have run across before

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 06:40      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Filk????!!!! I only know one other person who knows filk!!!

You've been going to the wrong sorts of conventions, then. Seriously, there's been filking at every sci-fi convention I've been to.

I can't tell you how many rousing renditions of "Way-hey, Join The Starfleet" (to the tune of "The Drunken Sailor") I've managed to avoid over the years! [Smile]

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 08:59      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mander:
There's so much that can be done with history, math, science, art, music, drama, in my content area but No Child shall be Left Behind (thank you President Shady Texas Superintendents Misrepresenting and Falsifying Information!)

The elder Clublet was very cranky when she came home from the first day of school this year with an assignment from her 6th grade math teacher to write an essay about why she likes math. ("But Dad, it's math class!") I thought it was great, and I told him so at our parent/teacher conference.

The 6th grade History and "English Language Arts" teachers in our school actually have a folding wall and frequently combine their classes. Their teaching plans are very intertwined. Also a "Good Thing" IMHO.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1759 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Scubbo
Mini Geek
Member # 4832

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 11:33      Profile for Scubbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by supaboy:

I can't tell you how many rousing renditions of "Way-hey, Join The Starfleet" (to the tune of "The Drunken Sailor") I've managed to avoid over the years! [Smile]

In my experience the one you can't get away from is "B***iality's best" to the tune of "Tie me kangaroo down"; once you've heard the new-and-improved version, the original lyrics take on a whole new meaning...although maybe that's more of a rugby song than a filk!

--------------------
Information wants to be anthropomorphized.
When in doubt; Use the Source, Luke.

Posts: 64 | From: Englandland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moe Monkey
Geek
Member # 1900

Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 13:28      Profile for Moe Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scubbo:
Whoops, sorry about the avatar MoeMonkey.

Hey, no need to apologize or change your avatar -- there are supposedly thousands of people registered here, and definitely not that many avatars available (until you go for Superfandom, of course... I'm not there yet). The beard looks good, though. [Big Grin]
Posts: 145 | From: The couch in the living room | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scubbo
Mini Geek
Member # 4832

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 13:37      Profile for Scubbo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moe Monkey:
The beard looks good, though. [Big Grin]

Thanks, although I was more attracted to the quizzically-raised eyebrow.

--------------------
Information wants to be anthropomorphized.
When in doubt; Use the Source, Luke.

Posts: 64 | From: Englandland | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mander
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4816

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 13:41      Profile for Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for mentioning filk... I had a great time reading the Wikipedia article and will get to the links....soonish.

Chuckling over a song that glorifies cats.... it's a good thing!

--------------------
Roses are #ff0000, violets are #0000ff; all my base are belong to you.

Posts: 34 | From: Upstate New York | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 15:03      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kathy Mar and Brobdingagian Bards are the two I listen to with any frequency. I don't know 'bout all the rest of 'em. (The Bards have free downloads on Amazon.)

--------------------

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2006 23:05      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mander:
Xanthine, well, are you having fun doing what you're doing in that netherworld between full employment status and unpaid wonk status? The toys are almost worth it, but I'm not sure you can eat crystalline structures (unless we're talking sugar, huh?)

I'm having fun so long as I don't look at my bank account... I do get a stipend. I get paid for a 20 hour week because grad students aren't supposed to work more than that (HUH???).

As far as eating crystalline structures goes, I really wouldn't want to eat my crystals. For one thing, they're microscopic. And for another, they grew in barium and arsenic. Not exactly nourishing. [Razz]

supa, the toys are cool in the metaphorical sense before the liquid nitrogen. After the liquid nitrogen (assuming liquid N2 and the toy are compatible) they're cool in every possible way. [Big Grin] What isn't cool, though, is a cryo-burn. Those really suck.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 11:32      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flik, eh? I trust you're talking about something different than Flik International? =P

Sorry, I CBA to click more links now - I currently have over 10 tabs open in Fx now.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 11:39      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
F-I-L-K dman. [Wink]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 13:03      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Filk 101 at www.filk.com :

quote:
WHY IT'S CALLED FILK?
The word filk was coined many years ago. There are many Legends about where the word comes from, however, its name can be traced to a gentleman by the name of Lee Jacobs. He was writing an article for SAPS (Spectator Amateur Press Society) back in the 1950's. The article was entitled "The Influence of Science Fiction on Modern American Filk Music". He had made a mistake and typo the "I" instead of the letter "O" in the word FOLK. The article was never published, for other reasons, however Lee Jacobs showed the article and told all his friends about it. Why the typo caught on is not clear but the term soon enter into Science Fiction Fan's vocabulary and has continued to stick to this day.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture