homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Hello Everyone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hello Everyone
serishema
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4481

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 20:34      Profile for serishema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone.
I'm new so i thought i'd just introduce myself.

I'm a student doing computer ITish things of course. I'm probably going for the programming strand since i'm a bit of a reject and that's the only thing i'm any good at.

At the moment i'm trying to write my own game engine mainly because I want to understand how they actually work.

I was doing computer science but in the end i changed to something slightly more real world orrientated.

In 3 years of comp sci i found 1 other computer geek chick so naturally i'm pretty much a loner chick. I can't be bothered with non geek chicks and their politics. I couldn't give a shit that their ex slept with some other girl and then all this nonsense dramatic stuff happened.

Do we exist or am i like the last of an extinct species?

Posts: 42 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 21:22      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I admire your stance against what stands for femininity in the mainstream. Keep it up. A while back, a woman I used to date got scratched by a cat on the chin. She panicked, ran to the mirror, and sobbing said "there goes any chance I had of being pretty!" The tiny hairline wound healed up fine, of course. She ended up sleeping with someone else, too. But that was a good thing. Now I'm sleeping with someone else.

Anyway, enough of my trash talk! Welcome! You have found the best forum on this whole rickety web thing. Stick around, post, and jig lots.

WELCOME!!!

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 22:16      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I already like you, for the sheer fact that you use the word 'chick'.

Also, welcome, have some fun, and be yourself. You'll find that doing so will work wonders on these forums [Wink]

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

gladiator
Geek Larva
Member # 4387

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted October 15, 2005 23:04      Profile for gladiator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome serishema! Hope you enjoy your stay here.

--------------------
Gladiator:(noun)Celebrity and entertainer for the Roman masses.... without the paparazzi

Posts: 28 | From: St. Louis | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 09:11      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, geek girls are not a dieing breed. There were quite a few at my school. The only problem is, a lot of geek guys at my old high school were those impractical people that wanted Carman Electra. Either that or they were way to afraid. I was one of the few who didn't fall under those categories. Anyway, girls who play final fantasy VII and read lots of fantasy and/or sci fi are really hot.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 14:08      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi serishema.
Welcome to the GC boards - sounds to me like you'll fit in well here. Have fun when you're here [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 15:11      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by serishema:

Do we exist or am i like the last of an extinct species?

Welcome serishima.

While you are not the last of the geek females. You are an endangered species. There is a small breeding program being handled by MIT where they have isolated the female geek gene and are infusing embryos with it.

After birth the females a fed on a steady diet of FPS's, cheetos, and large doses of espresso. While there have been a few of the female geeks released into the wild, there is still a long way to go before they will be as prevailent as they were in their native lands.

[Wink] [Razz] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matias
Highlie
Member # 4216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 18:04      Profile for Matias   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome serishema. Yes there are few of us but we are here to stay. Have fun and enjoy it as much as I have.

--------------------
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posts: 516 | From: The Land of the mouse.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 08:36      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello serishema. Welcome to the forums.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 09:36      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Serishema.

IMO, geek girls are a little like the coelacanth (except better looking). They are around, but are sometimes believed to be mythological or extinct due to their reticent nature. [Wink]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
shriver
Geek
Member # 3556

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 12:40      Profile for shriver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ESPRESSO!!! with an s!
</rant>

Welcome, Serishema. Dig in and enjoy the place.

--------------------
And a thousand thousand slimy things
Lived on; and so did I.

Posts: 111 | From: Seattle | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 13:47      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by shriver:
ESPRESSO!!! with an s!
</rant>

Welcome, Serishema. Dig in and enjoy the place.

Who misspelled espresso??

[Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 14:36      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I was kind of wondering that myself to be honest....

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
serishema
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4481

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 20:13      Profile for serishema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
[While you are not the last of the geek females. You are an endangered species. There is a small breeding program being handled by MIT where they have isolated the female geek gene and are infusing embryos with it.... [continues]

Thanks for that. You made me laugh :-)
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 21:47      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by serishema:
Thanks for that. You made me laugh :-)

Glad to hear it.

Now, go out into the threads and post.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

technologic
Newbie Larva
Member # 4485

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2005 04:02      Profile for technologic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, geek girls are hard to find (Is it shallow to look for geekyness in a girl?). There are alot of 'intellegent' girls (hardworking to be more precise, they all want to be doctors/lawyers), but not the final fantasy playing type. I found a few hardware geeks in my school (both are 2 years junior to me).
Footsie
Geek-in-Training
Member # 3444

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted October 18, 2005 04:44      Profile for Footsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello and welcome .Hope you enjoy it here there are lots going on in here witch is good as theres always something to read [Smile]

--------------------
Here today... Gone tomorrow?

Posts: 33 | From: smelly foot farm | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Phizzy_Phil
Geek Larva
Member # 4452

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2005 12:00      Profile for Phizzy_Phil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiya and welcome.
As a fellow Newbie I can confirm they're a very friendly bunch.
enjoy...

Posts: 26 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fayted
Newbie Larva
Member # 4497

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2005 13:13      Profile for Fayted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there are more of us than there appears to be, i think. i, for instance, am a geeky girl- i love anime, and know more about graphic design than the computer art teacher- but i don't seem very geeky at first glance. i am, in fact, a varsity cheerleader- but i'm still a geek inside. (i do get what you said about other girls and all their soapy-drama, though- i hate it too.)
anyway, don't think we're dying out- we've just learned to adapt and better blend with the "normal people". but just because we look normal, doesn't mean we are! ^-^ inside, we're still geeks, just like you.

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2005 13:28      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aaaaagh - somebody stole my face! [Big Grin]

But seriously - welcome Fayted. Hope you have a great time in the GC forums.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The White Tree
Geek
Member # 4040

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 12:07      Profile for The White Tree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by technologic:
I agree, geek girls are hard to find (Is it shallow to look for geekyness in a girl?). There are alot of 'intellegent' girls (hardworking to be more precise, they all want to be doctors/lawyers), but not the final fantasy playing type. I found a few hardware geeks in my school (both are 2 years junior to me).

Who cares if they are younger than you. My girlfriend was a junior when I was a senior (though she is only 5 months younger than I). Anyway, welcome and all to you new people.
Posts: 201 | From: York, PA, residing/school at NNPTC at NWS Charleston, SC. | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2005 12:08      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy serishema. Welcome to the GC Forums. Have fun and post often. Post a nice picture of yourself or don't. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
serishema
Geek Apprentice
Member # 4481

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2005 16:07      Profile for serishema     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pictures? Ok. I'm a digital camera / media whore (in that i like to take lots of photos, and play with video cameras, nothing dodgy tho).

Me At some stupid party i went to.
 -

Don't give you digital camera to your brother.
 -

-

Edited so many times because i couldn't get the images to work properly.

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 05, 2005 16:15      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to downsize that pic a bit....

But welcome back and now POST....

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture