homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Uber-Geek: The man, the myth, the legend (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Uber-Geek: The man, the myth, the legend
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2005 10:05      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:

but über is German and I for one have never seen it spelt ueber (ugh!)

You have now. [Wink]
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2005 17:46      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uber-Geek:
quote:
Originally posted by ChildeRoland:
Even if you don't want to use the umlaut, you can at least spell it "Ueber-Geek"

Well, it's not going to change anytime soon. Besides, what kind of word is childe? I've never heard of it.
Childe is by definition a child of noble birth. In this circumstance, it is used for a knight who has not yet passed his final test for knighthood. It comes from a poem written by Robert Browning and published circa 1855. It was later used as a very rough basis for a series of Steven King novels. I read the poem quite a while before the books, but most people associate the name Roland with the main character of King's books.

The title is actually a reference to a previous work (King Lear, W. Shakespeare). Also, "The Song Of Roland" was a tale of a brave knight serving under Charlemagne during the Crusades. It is believed to have been based on an actual person, as the name Roland is mentioned as being extremely heroic in at least one account of an actual battle. As in Browning's tale, most of Roland's dearest friends are lost early in battle; leaving him to fight without their backing and encouragement.

If you would like to read the original poem, it can be found here (http://www.bluejo.demon.co.uk/poetry/poems/rol.htm). I am told by some that the language is difficult, but this is the Geek Culture forum, so you guys should be able to understand it.

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2005 17:57      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by uilleann:
but über is German and I for one have never seen it spelt ueber (ugh!)

How about Schroeder? (Schröder) Or Staedtler? (Städtler) Or Koenig (König == king) When you're unable to type German characters, umlauts are replaced by an e (as above) and sharp s (ß) with a double s (or in my case, a capital B). Thus, yes, it's "ueber".

If you want to be anal, anyhow. To which I recommend this cartoon - http://www.spamusement.com/view.php?id=223 ... [Smile]

He is completely right, THAT's why I said it should be Ueber-Geek if you are so adament about leaving out the umlaut.

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

ChildeRoland
Alpha Geek
Member # 3880

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 09, 2005 20:18      Profile for ChildeRoland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Other than it being a german word, nothing about it is german.'

HAHAHA, I needed that, haven't had a good laugh like that in a while.

--------------------
=====================
Childe Roland

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture