homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Other Geeky Stuff   » All about you!   » Hello (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hello
linuxpyro
Geek Larva
Member # 2530

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2004 18:49      Profile for linuxpyro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm new here. I found this place just out of my random travels throughout the Net... So much content, so little time. Anyway, as my nick may suggest, I am a Linux user... and also a bit of a pyromaniac, but I have limits (I avoid things that would blow my hand off). I've played with Linux for a while now, and like it a lot. I can't wait till I can completely ditch Windoze and build myself a beautiful Linux PC.

I'm also a musician, having been a bass player since I was 8 or 9. I've played keyboard much longer than that, too. I also enjoy doctoring pictures. I have my own site, Whatsmykarma.com, which I host off of my cable modem. I'm still adding stuff to it, but it's up. I'm somewhat of a geek, but have not been assimilated completely yet...

Posts: 29 | From: /home/ben | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 13, 2004 20:37      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Linuxpyro. Welcome. In my youth (and we're talking a *long* time ago) I played bass and did some recreational pyromania. In 6th grade my friend and I pulled the heads off a few dozen .22 caliber shells and poured the gunpowder into a dish.
It makes a very satisfying tower of flame when you toss a match into it. Your mother almost always smells it as well.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2004 22:21      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome LP.....stick around and have some fun!

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted January 13, 2004 22:38      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before he gives you a one-star rating! [Wink]
Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2004 22:43      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:

[Big Grin] Funny g

Pretty amazing though....the first newbie in weeks that can actually spell.

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2004 23:28      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:

[Big Grin] Funny g

shit if spelling is that big of a deal ill just open word and copy-n-paste all of my posts
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 00:01      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there linuxpyro, hope you enjoy your time here.

I'm one of the resident Linux fans on these forums, always good to meet another one. What's your distro of choice so far?

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
linuxpyro
Geek Larva
Member # 2530

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 14, 2004 16:21      Profile for linuxpyro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, so far I use RedHat for a workstation, but I run my Web site off of a Cobalt Qube2, which runs a version of Linux based on RedHat 6 point something, I think (compiled for MIPS, or course). It has a really nice Web-based GUI, but I can still hack it and get a decent amount of flexibility.
ZorroTheFox
Member # 917

Icon 14 posted January 14, 2004 17:10      Profile for ZorroTheFox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello and welcome to the forums
Posts: 3046 | From: Tacoma, WA, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sconzey
Assimilated
Member # 2347

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 01:55      Profile for sconzey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woo!

At school, a bunch of us nerds pestered the IT department and got dumped with a Qube, some PCs a hub and a load of CAT-5E cable...

It is now a beautiful Linux network... [Razz]

I use RH9 on my home machine but hope to switch to SuSE 9 ASAP.

--------------------
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent."
--Isaac Asimov

Posts: 490 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The-Tech
Geek
Member # 2506

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 02:53      Profile for The-Tech     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jace Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:

[Big Grin] Funny g

shit if spelling is that big of a deal ill just open word and copy-n-paste all of my posts
LMAO !! I do that sometimes !!

Dave

--------------------
God not only plays dice with the universe,
he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen
--- Stephen Hawking

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject -- Winston Churchill

Posts: 128 | From: Third Stone from the Sun | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 04:09      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sconzey:
Woo!

At school, a bunch of us nerds pestered the IT department and got dumped with a Qube, some PCs a hub and a load of CAT-5E cable...

Wow, using SuSE voluntarily [Razz]

Why not give Debian a try, or do you prefer up to date software? [Smile]

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 04:19      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Woo!

Wow, using SuSE voluntarily [Razz]

Why not give Debian a try, or do you prefer up to date software? [Smile]

<2 bits>I have never had any difficulties installing RH on any of the dozens of machines, or so I've had experience with - SuSE, on the other hand, has spat up a major hitch at least %50 of the time - the last time it just refused to recognize the cdrom (when every other fecking distro had no problem with it).

The people at SuSE only seem to care about the advertising value of how many up-to-date packages they have available - they have never given a tiny rat's ass about the heavily-flawed shit they've been peddling for many years. They are no better than MS. They are a bunch of fscking cowboys. May they burn in Hell along with Celine Dion and Crawley Town FC. [Smile]

Yes, Debian is nice - I love it's philosophy - but who the Hell needs 7 cds to install an OS - that's just insane. The only other problem I have with debian is that it's hardware detection totally sucks - I don't know about you, but I get pissed off spending the entire weekend trying to coax an X server into life because my run-of-the-mill graphics card happens to not be one of the (arbitrary) hallowed few in debian's supported hardware list.

</2 bits>

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
linuxpyro
Geek Larva
Member # 2530

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 08:40      Profile for linuxpyro   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Woo!

The IT people at my school are pretty cool; they have a lot of stuff laying around that they're willing to either sell cheaply, or sometimes give away. They don't have any Qubes, but the parts they have are OK. Plus, as a member of the computer club, I get to have my account status elevated... I can run cool software and do defrags and stuff. It's a totally Windoze network (except for some Macs in the basement the music teacher uses), though, which kind of sucks. Luckily I have Linux to help me keep my sanity...
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 08:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I'll give SuSE credit for is the sponsoring of some good open source software, like KDE, and K3B. I've never actually used it, and I have no real desire to. I'm a Debian user, thank you very much [Smile] .

If you want killer hardware detection with a Debian based distro, check out Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.net, http://www.knopper.net/knoppix). With all this said, it feels like a good time to fire up apt-get on some boxen around here [Big Grin] .

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 09:07      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Dman - have you used Knoppix? Is it the bees' knees? Oi ain't never dun nuffink wiffit never.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 10:47      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't say what I just said about it if I hadn't, would I? It's *phenomenal!* I'm running a fscking server off it :-D. If it wasn't for the fact that you probably have a good net connection, and the delay of int'l mail, I'd send you a copy [Smile] . Knoppix is my new form of proselytizing Linux [Razz] . I'm sure there's no one around here who would attest to that, is there? (*whistles innocently*)

It just works...and so damn well at that.

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dogbert
Mini Geek
Member # 2513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 11:06      Profile for Dogbert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Woo!

I thought you broke that....?

oh and welcome to the forums LinuxP
Cus of the CRA's complaining about Quake or something. [Confused]

--------------------
The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.
Albert Einstein

Posts: 69 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
crazyarlo
Geek
Member # 1226

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted January 15, 2004 11:40      Profile for crazyarlo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WELCOME! As a devoteed OS X user, I feel that Linux people are OUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS!!!

Hope you enjoy yourself here...

Posts: 238 | From: Southern Ohio ... SURF OHIO, BABY! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 14:50      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Hey, Dman - have you used Knoppix? Is it the bees' knees? Oi ain't never dun nuffink wiffit never.

I know I'm not Dman, but Knoppix rocks. The hardware detection is awesome. I was using it as a fill-in OS at home for a week or two while work finally got around to replacing my hard drive which was on the way out. Plus you can use it as the best Debian installer ever. What's not to like?

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 15:57      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been meaning to get around to uinstalling Debian, but the installer was such a heap of shit that I've never persisted.

So, how does one use knoppix as a debian installer?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 16:23      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Knoppix is my new form of proselytizing Linux [Razz] . I'm sure there's no one around here who would attest to that, is there? (*whistles innocently*)

Er, is that my cue? [Razz]

Yep, dman "helped" me (ie, I leaned over his shoulder and watched) put Linux on my computer last weekend. I'd love to say it went without a hitch, but the GUI installation program wasn't too happy about installing to the second hard drive he rescued for storage for me. So we had to do it from the command line. That worked well. Once it was installed, I named the drive "Mithlond", my printer "Gollum", basked in the power of root and found that while Knoppix detected my pos USB DSL modem it didn't know what to do with it. This modem has a tendency to crash my computer on shutdown or startup, so I'm getting a nice Ethernet one that should make both Mirkwood and Mithlond happy. Soon I shall be posting from a Linux box.

Now I just need to learn what to do with it...

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 16:51      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's that? I think I hear angels singing from on high? [Wink] .

Sorry, I'm just always happy to hear of another new Linux user [Smile] . Well, with the exception of one member around here, who seems to have a very fscked up love-hate relationship with it, and should be banned from touching it, so that he doesn't complain *again* that he's fdisking it away, and putting Windows on it instead.

Heh - there's no such thing as an 'uninstaller' for Debian - but assuming you *did* put your /home on a different partition, all you've got to do is wipe out /, and put a new OS on it, and remount the other partition to /home on that. If you didn't make a separate partition, back up /home, wipe the HD, make a new partition for it this time, and restore the data.

Xanthine: but don't forget, you did [physically] install the HD that you installed Linux on - that's certainly worth something [Big Grin] . Also, after I found the new `knoppix-installer` to not be worth the trouble (the tried and true `knx-hdinstall` works quite nicely), I'm pretty sure you did everything yourself, perhaps with a little guidance. Oh yeah, and I stuck the label on the boot floppy [Razz] .

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 16:54      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman, I think TFD meant installer, not uninstaller (extra u), since he was asking how to install Debian via Knoppix.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 15, 2004 17:32      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Xanthine: but don't forget, you did [physically] install the HD that you installed Linux on - that's certainly worth something [Big Grin] . Also, after I found the new `knoppix-installer` to not be worth the trouble (the tried and true `knx-hdinstall` works quite nicely), I'm pretty sure you did everything yourself, perhaps with a little guidance. Oh yeah, and I stuck the label on the boot floppy [Razz] .

Yes, that means I can follow directions and *gasp* use a screwdriver. [Roll Eyes]

Does little guidance mean telling me exactly what to type and even reaching over my shoulder to type it? I had no idea what I was telling the damn thing to do half the time - I think I need to find a list of useful commands and commit it to memory. [Razz]

Yes, I am clueless. Bear with me. I'm trying. And before you write me off as a complete fool, remember - I can wield a mean screwdriver. Just ask the dragon. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture