homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Techno-Talking   » Trading Post   » Price check on a gateway laptop?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Price check on a gateway laptop?
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2005 20:20      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
COPIED AND PASTED,

how much do you think I could get?

quote:

Ummm, comes with windows CE. Its got a DVD/CD bay (think its CDR), floppy drive, HD is 8 gig if memory serves me. 128 RAM and a Pentium III.

The two media bays are removable and swappable, its got two pcmcia slots.

The keyboard has been replaced a few times, and is in great condition (punk ass sister wailed on it- hence problems below).

I got it from a friend of mine, and I just dont use it that much, the problems with it are:

Battery doesnt hold charge

The charger socket is screwed up, its all loose, and doesnt hold a connection well. If you hold the power button and wiggle the charging cord though, it starts right up, and once that happens you can wiggle it aruond all you want and it stays on (and charging). Its really weird. Should be an easy/cheap fix, or just use the thing below:

Theres a docking station that plugs into the back and coveres all the ports, but the dock has its own ports. Unfortunatly, the right few pins are bent on the dock connector, so something wouldnt connect properly, but I am not sure which it is. However, this does fix the situation with the power not working properly, so it could be a non-issue.

The door to the CD bay is broken off, so you have to push the little button yourself.

The mouse buttons suck, they dont audibly/tangibly click, they just move up and down a bit, but the computer registers the clicks

It was my friends sister's, I got it from them (they were gonna throw it out, silly kids) and said I would use it for a toy. You need to offer me enough money in order to get rid of the guilt of selling a computer I got for an amazing deal from my friends, and selling it without giving them the money. I did have to pay $30 for a new charger though, so take that into account.

If you dont take it off my hands, it will likely become either a music carputer or a linux playtoy, or both

It was once a "desktop replacement", so its a tad large/heavy

The pic of the dock showing the multiple plugs, it was taken with it upside down, then I rotated the pic, but now you can tell the pic is upside down. sooo.... yeah.

http://www.outdoor-forums.com/matt/stoopid_media/wholefront.jpg
http://www.outdoor-forums.com/matt/stoopid_media/bottompics.jpg
http://www.outdoor-forums.com/matt/stoopid_media/pcmciaside.jpg
http://www.outdoor-forums.com/matt/stoopid_media/dockone.jpg
http://www.outdoor-forums.com/matt/stoopid_media/dock2.jpg
http://www.outdoor-forums.com/matt/stoopid_media/bentpins.jpg
http://www.outdoor-forums.com/matt/stoopid_media/missingdoor.jpg

--------------------
lol

Posts: 361 | From: guess... :/ | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2005 20:52      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the trick to viewing pages like that? When I click on the link it takes me to a "IF YOU WANT TO EDIT THIS PAGE YOU MUST LOG IN OR ELSE" notice. I tried the copy-and-paste into a new window trick but that didn't work either. [ohwell]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 06, 2005 20:58      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh yeah that forum is off limits to non members, sorry, quick edit coming

--------------------
lol

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2005 05:46      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd guess maybe $200 USD.

I can get a laptop that *does* hold a charge, with little to no damage with comparable specs for $450-500 CAD.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
californiarockr
Assimilated
Member # 1986

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2005 08:24      Profile for californiarockr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I got an offer for 200. Theres the same model on ebay, with 256RAM, 20 gig HD, and better condition going for 435 Buy It Now. I think Ill either make a carputer out of it or just have another linux toy

--------------------
lol

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2005 10:00      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a similar note, how much would I get for a 500MHz PB Pismo? It has 512 megs RAM, 20 gig hard drive (will probably toss in an 80 gig, 5400RPM drive I have lying around,) DVD drive, battery still hold a good charge, case is in good condition.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2005 13:04      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dp004i:
On a similar note, how much would I get for a 500MHz PB Pismo? It has 512 megs RAM, 20 gig hard drive (will probably toss in an 80 gig, 5400RPM drive I have lying around,) DVD drive, battery still hold a good charge, case is in good condition.

I'd buy it off of you in a second if I could afford it. :S
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2005 14:58      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much do you think it's worth though? A friend of mine has that laptop right now and wants to swap it for my Tungsten T5; I know I can get around $300 for the Palm, just wondering if the PB would fetch some more cash than that.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture