homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » Techno-Talking   » Trading Post   » Lots and Lots of Win95

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lots and Lots of Win95
Wolfman
Mini Geek
Member # 3434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 10:32      Profile for Wolfman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I was at the library, and I see this huge stack of still shrink wrapped copies of Windows 95. I thought well they're free I'll take like 10 and sell them on ebay. I get home open one up, and there's no CD inside. It's just the "Introducing Windows 95" booklet thing, and the "Certificate of Authenticity", NO CD!! If anybody has any clue what I can do with a bunch of CD-less 95 licenses, PLEASE let me know.

--------------------
Sincerely,
The Wolfman

LOST: One Grip (fits my reality)

Posts: 83 | From: North side of the House, Middle of Town, Middle of Kansas, USA, Earth | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 11:07      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arse wipe.

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ballchinnian
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 3786

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted April 05, 2005 12:47      Profile for Ballchinnian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
uh, you can wipe your arse with em...
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 13:06      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sell them on e-bay?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 13:08      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean they're worth money on eBay? I just threw away the only legitimate Windows 98 I had that someone gave to me once I turned them to Linux. I meant to throw it out earlier, but found it amidst my moving.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 13:26      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfman:
If anybody has any clue what I can do with a bunch of CD-less 95 licenses, PLEASE let me know.

Origami?

Seriously they are worthless. If you had the serial key along with the rest of the packaging they might have been useful a while back with the refund thay were doing a few months back. But as far as I know that is over and done with. SO... SOL.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 13:40      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ballchinnian:
uh, you can wipe your arse with em...

Maybe I do.....

--------------------
(!) (T) = 8-D

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 14:55      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Find a non-profit group that repairs old computers and gives or resells them to disadvantaged people in your country or overseas. Sometimes those computers are old enough that they run Win95. In that case, the manuals and certificates may be helpful.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 15:24      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Find a non-profit group that repairs old computers and gives or resells them to disadvantaged people in your country or overseas. Sometimes those computers are old enough that they run Win95. In that case, the manuals may be helpful.

Hey Rhonnie,

I take it you haven't had a chance to look through one of those "manuals." Those little guys aren't even worth turning into kindling.

[Wink]

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2472 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 15:38      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then maybe we have to revert back to the original suggestion: Make like the Amish and use the pages as toilet paper. [Razz]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 16:05      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one has said anything about the certificates of authenticity!!! Those little pieces of paper are what is actually worth money. That is, those certificates are certifyable lincenses to run Win95. Legally, you can acquire the software any way you wish (even download it over kazaa), and you'll be all good (legally, anyway) if you have one of those certificates for each computer you're using it on. In that case, donating those to a not-for-profit could be a wise choice.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2005 16:25      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
No one has said anything about the certificates of authenticity!!!

MMKK,

I could be wrong but when M$ was doing the rebate bit, they wanted the numbers not the certificates. I n my eyes that means that to M$ those pieces of paper were useless.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Wolfman
Mini Geek
Member # 3434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2005 15:32      Profile for Wolfman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MacManKrisK, So could I just make like 10 copies of my Windows 95 disc, and sell it with the licenses? they're going for near 10 bucks each on ebay, really seems a waste to not profit from someones misfortune of having to use win95.

--------------------
Sincerely,
The Wolfman

LOST: One Grip (fits my reality)

Posts: 83 | From: North side of the House, Middle of Town, Middle of Kansas, USA, Earth | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2005 17:36      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they are OEM licenses, technically, you are out of luck because they can only be used with the machines that they were supplied with. If they aren't, you might have a legal chance of selling them (IANAL, etc)

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2005 18:33      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um...in my opinion, it's illegal, or at the very least, sketchy to sell them. You don't have the whole package (i.e. w/CD), and most importantly, you don't know if the licenses are still in use anywhere. IMHO, it was irresponsible for the library to put them out there in the first place - they should have cut off the COA first if they were trying to offer a guide to people. I may not like M$, but I do try and play by their rules, seeing as it's still their software and product. The contracts that accompany may be legally binding, and I don't have any wish to get into 'difficulties' with them. I will not support piracy in any way, shape or form - I use open source software...and I extend this to any consulting I do - I will not install anything that I do not know to be legitimately licensed.

/me has a ton of Windows NT Workstation 4.0 OEM discs, and is wondering how to safely/appropriately dispose of them... (I might consider just keying them [label side, of course])

Meanwhile, on the last point, I'm keeping my fingers crossed about this - It'd be very nice if that really goes somewhere, and offers a legal alternative for the full boat. I might want to have such an option around for running certain pieces of software (such as data recovery tools) which don't currently work under WINE. If I ever have to use it for a consulting gig, I might take out the Windows Server 2003 180-day eval disc that I've got in a drawer somewhere. [Wink] *That* is totally legal for me to use. [Big Grin] It's complete overkill, but totally legal.

...So sayeth the dragon posting from FF on his Mini. [Wink]

Oh, speaking of consulting and the Mini - I just used it this past weekend as a drop in SAN box for data recovery prior to a machine wipe. Mmm...nothing like a mix of Knoppix and a Mac mini to fix a corrupt Win98 machine. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9344 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 07, 2005 18:39      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
If I ever have to use it for a consulting gig, I might take out the Windows Server 2003 180-day eval disc that I've got in a drawer somewhere. [Wink] *That* is totally legal for me to use. [Big Grin] It's complete overkill, but totally legal.

Ack, you've got a 180 day eval version? Damnit, ours are only 10 days or someting. Do you have any idea how annoying it is reinstalling test machines purely because the eval ran out?

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brother Dysk
Geek Larva
Member # 3777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2005 03:55      Profile for Brother Dysk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Meanwhile, on the last point, I'm keeping my fingers crossed about this - It'd be very nice if that really goes somewhere, and offers a legal alternative for the full boat.

Actually, in the last year that project has gone from a barely working kernel to a kernel, graphical interface, WINE-like (or better) degree of interoperatability with Windows software, halfway TCP/IP stack, actual hardware support, and a few FOSS ports. So it's going somewhere, for the moment at least.
Posts: 25 | From: Hong Kong | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Too Cool To Quit
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2217

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2005 21:28      Profile for Too Cool To Quit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
If they are OEM licenses, technically, you are out of luck because they can only be used with the machines that they were supplied with. If they aren't, you might have a legal chance of selling them (IANAL, etc)

Teehee... he said anal. *gasp* *laughter*

-  -  -

--------------------
Alright now, that's the last straw, I'm calling the ass taxidermist to tell him to stop making hats in your size RIGHT NOW.

Posts: 1097 | From: North Carolina | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture