homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » radio science questino for moman

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: radio science questino for moman
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2011 22:51      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moman, I know you are into radios.

Building one is on my list of geek projects to do once in my life ( unfortunately low on the list)

But I have a question.

How do antennas help tune into a radio station. how does moving them help pick up a signal better.

on a side note:

One of my cars has a really small think blakc antenna on the back. It gets great reception of th FM stations I listen to.

My other car has a traditional, retractable antenna, and gets horrible reception for the same stations.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2011 00:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moman, I know you are into radios.

Building one is on my list of geek projects to do once in my life ( unfortunately low on the list)

But I have a question.

How do antennas help tune into a radio station.

If the antenna is cut to the resonate frequency of the station reception will be better, think pipe organ.

how does moving them help pick up a signal better.

the station may have dead spots in their pattern, also the station may be broadcasting in Vertical orientation, if your antenna is Horizontal reception will be degraded. FM in the US is Vertical AM is usually Horizontal.

on a side note:

One of my cars has a really small think blakc antenna on the back. It gets great reception of th FM stations I listen to.

My other car has a traditional, retractable antenna, and gets horrible reception for the same stations.

If you could change the length of the antenna it may get better at some length other than full

____ Depending on what band you want to listen to there are some good and not so good kits out there, it does seem that the Slavs. are more into kitting than other cultures.

Linky, Linky:
http://jalopnik.com/#!5714539/how-a-ham-radio-geek-fixed-the-camaro-convertible

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2011 03:01      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
your link is realy interesting.

it says that most cars have teh AM/FM reciever hidden in the rear window (part of the defrost wires?) and you cann't do that of coarse with a soft top.

The car of mine with good reception, and the small stubby black antenna sitting right above the rear window gets great reception and my soft top cabrio with the retactabel whip antenna gets horrible reception.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2011 03:47      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Ash, lets say that you had a dead on tuned antenna. Now you have to get the signal into the feed line to the radio, Hint they have to have the same impedance. Then at the radio it must match the impedance of the feed line. All three must match to get the best reception.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 19, 2011 21:34      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Ash, with the radio on reach up under the dash and feel for the Coax to the radio. DO NOT PULL IT OUT, just give it a good wiggle, any popping sounds? Twist it around some, any popping sounds? If not go to the Antenna end. Look for corrosion, wiggle the Antenna any popping sounds? Try to wiggle the mount, can you get to the back side of the the mount, same drill.

____ If, when you touch the antenna reception really improves it may be time for a new antenna, on FM touching the antenna will usually degrade the signal.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture