homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » boiling mercury down

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: boiling mercury down
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2010 12:18      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no idea tht this is how some smelt gold. Simple enough. Scary dangerous. They are oly worried about being able to breath aound the mercury fumes ( imediate effects), but mercury builds up in the body and is not ecreted well ( long term effects). I feel bad for the kids there.

I like how this NPO tries to solve the problems that these peopel have and not to judge them. THey don't say, STOP , don't ever use mercury again, the try to teach them safer ways to do what they do. If what they did was outlawed, they would just puch such camps underground. the people there are not going to stop mining gold. it is ho they put food on thier table.

burning issue part 1

burning issue part 2

ps

before the invention of geletin based photogaphy, daguerreotypes required holind the exposed silver plate over a container of boiling mecury and letting the Hg vapors react withthe exposed silver. Not the safest procedure, and don't get started on mad hatters.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2010 14:17      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Oh good Ash, I thought you were going to tell us you were making Fulminate of Mercury, I would be more worried about anyone around you if you over heat it.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture