homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Techno-Talking   » Science!   » Magnatricity!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Magnatricity!!
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 14, 2009 13:36      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the magnetic analogue to electricity is found.
Magnatricity

Now since magnetic monopoles only exist in extremely rare and difficult to produce crystalline structures, we are not going to see a magnetic light bulb anytime soon. It would not be practible.

BUT I WANT ONE!! Ten more years of research and then the hobbyists will be making magnetic energy flashlights and swatches in thier basements.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 14, 2009 19:12      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read about this earlier tonight. While it sounds pretty cool, I'm not entirely sure what's so great about it. Why would you want a magnetically powered light bulb? What would you use to generate the magnetricity? Is it supposed to be self-contained, like a flashlight?

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2009 05:45      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

____ Where to start, Hams have known for years about magnetic waves, as they travel at Ninety degrees to the Electronic wave component of a radio or radar signal. With various antenna designs we can enhance reception by causing our receivers or really the antennas to reject certain signals. During periods of Northern Lights we have some really strange propagation results, So is this Mag. Monopole like a gravity particle?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2009 17:07      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The entire idea of a magnetic monopole existing in reality is amazing. I didn't think that would be something I'd hear about so soon.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2009 02:10      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

____ Metasquares You must know that we are close to time travel.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/science/space/13lhc.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

____ Watch for the lights to blink.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2009 10:20      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the LHC really is dangerous, quantum suicide could be playing into it too. In that case it's failing to work because the universes in which it does are the ones in which we all die [Smile]

But more likely is the possibility that CERN just overlooked something and will get it working soon without incident.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2009 02:25      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

____ You people should not leave me alone with an idea, and let me think. MAD detectors (Magnetic Anomaly Detectors) are used to find underground Oil & Gas deposits, the Navy also uses them to hunt for Submarines.

____ Would a MAD see the movement of the Magna Core prior to, and during an Earthquake? It is said that animals know of impending quakes, what are they noticing? Does gravity near the fault change? Are there magnetic changes happening along fault lines?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2009 04:16      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that if animals can detect earthquakes before us, it is only because they are more sensitive to realizing tremors when the fault line starts to go.

I don't think a MAD would be sensative enough to detect how mucvh the magnetic core moves during an earthquake. Though I have no evidence to back up my claim.

I think that a MAD can find a sub because teh subs signal in comparison to the background is detectable. But the earths core is huge, and to see a signal of a little bit if it moving, as compared to the background signal of the the entire magnetic core, is in my opinion unlikely.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2009 08:48      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

____ Ashitaka, again I said one thing and really meant something different. For Ham radio, and even your computers pieces of quartz are stressed to generate a signal, in the case of transmitters and computers this is used for timing or for generating RF. Just prior to a slip there is enormous pressure on the edges of the plates, would they produce voltages, and currents that could be detected. Here where I live the local power company uses the earth as a return conductor for there transformers so there is a huge amount of back ground noise 60Hz that could be filtered out then the ground currents measured or would MAD work better.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2009 17:01      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metasquares:
If the LHC really is dangerous, quantum suicide could be playing into it too. In that case it's failing to work because the universes in which it does are the ones in which we all die [Smile]

This has been bothering me since I first saw that idea floated: how the frak is that theory falsifiable??
Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 00:17      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:

This has been bothering me since I first saw that idea floated: how the frak is that theory falsifiable??
the same idea is attributed niow to many scientists
quote:
an interview with MIT (and LHC) physicist Steven Nahn, in which he comments on Nielsen and Ninomiya's unlikely-sounding theory.
"The premise is fairly crazy, but many things in physics are constructed that way... The difference here is that... previous 'crazy' ideas gave consequences that were clearly testable and attestable to the new nature of the theory, in an objective manner, and involved the behavior of inanimate objects (i.e., not humans). However, in this case, the consequences seem quite contrived... Exactly in line with their argument, I could say that Nature abhors the Chicago Cubs, such that the theory which describes the evolution of our universe prescribed Steve Bartman to interfere on October 14, 2003, extending the 'bad luck' of the Cubbies."

But if you want to know if the boson can be found, wait a few thaosand years and see if anybody finds it...

build a spaceship that travels ca 0.98c. travel in it for a few years, come back to earth in a few hundred years and see if they ever found the higgs boson. repeat as nessesary until. The problem would be publishing the results as you probably won't be able to comunicate/write in the languages that will be used 1000 years in the future.

For science!

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 02:44      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:

By switching on the LHC and watching the world not implode.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 07:45      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
>

____ There in lies the problem, they can turn it on, it just self distructs when the power levels gets near that needed to find that Bosons Mate. Oops wrong boson.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 08:38      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
The problem would be publishing the results as you probably won't be able to comunicate/write in the languages that will be used 1000 years in the future.

Oh I'm sure there'd be people around who can help. After all, in our time, we've got people who can read and translate Old English.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 10:59      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

____ Distinguished Colleagues please read the article and the "replies" they are funnier than the article. I do agree with one poster that it makes his head hurt.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture